General Dance Discussion > sticky floor fix?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Larinda McRaven, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

So there is a space here that we use sometimes for lessons and dancing. It is a pergo floor, which is just ok... but the hardest aspect to deal with is that it is ridiculously slow, to the point of everyone's knees hurting after a day of dancing on it. Anyone have bright ideas of how to clean it properly?

I was thinking a very lightly damp swiffery type mop with a solution of vinegar and water. Since the floor is pergo it will need to be only very lightly damp.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  2. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

or a little bit of ammonia? I guess it might depend on which faint smell you find the least offensive:confused:

Google search came up with "Use a damp mop to gently clean your Pergo. You can make a Pergo-recommended household cleaner with 1 cup household vinegar to 1 gallon warm water or 1/3 cup ammonia mixed with 1 gallon warm water. "

3. Larinda McRaven

yup, that is about as good as the google advice gets... but I am pretty sure it won't be enough to just clean it in the regular household way. Something really needs to change the quality of the top layer of the laminate...

4. SwingingAlong

hmm some floors types seem to attract all of the muck no matter what.
    I did find an ammonia based product has worked wonders on our local community hall floor though. It used to be like dancing on sellotape, including sound effects! Since I convinced the cleaning crew (usually me) to change to something containing ammonia, and rinsing it properly it is now like dancing on.... silk. It did take a number washes over a few months before it stripped off the muck and got there though!!
    Best of luck with it. Look forward to hearing about what works:)

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Depends what is causing the stickiness.

6. Larinda McRaven

The pergo itself. It is not "dirty".

7. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Light baby powder will do the trick (both of my pros who experienced all kind of floors as professional dancers recommend powder for a sticky floor). Now do not make it too slippery…:)

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Went to a comp once where the portable floor had been stored in an un-airconditioned warehouse during the summer, in Alabama. o_O It was literally so sticky that during morning warm-ups, our feet were coming out of our shoes. Two cans of baby powder later, it was acceptable. There was a haze in the ballroom, though. :eek:

Mia likes this.
  9. Larinda McRaven

Yes we have tried powder and it made it ok for awhile. What I am really trying to do is change the consistency of the floor itself... instead of topping it off with additives. Like castor oil would be good for a fast floor for awhile but eventually you have to accept that the floor itself is really the problem.

As well there is yoga that goes on there too and I can't have people getting up with dusty bums.

Something really needs to change the quality of the top layer of the laminate.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  10. SwingingAlong

Have you any idea who the manufacturer of the laminate is, to consult them? Perhaps over time the finish layer (some sort of clear protective layer I expect) of the laminate has worn off/reacted and it needs to be "refinished" to change the quality of the top layer - is there such a thing as a "laminate sealer" in DIY shops, for example?

11. Larinda McRaven

thanks...! I had not thought of that.

12. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

I wondered something along the lines of what SwingingAlong said. I'm looking at putting in a temporary laminate floor in my house, and see that laminate can have different use ratings.

To test her idea, see if an area of the floor that would not have such high use (maybe a corner) has a more danceable surface. But I rather suspect that the only solution in that case would be to replace the flooring.

13. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

You could try waxing it. IME, when the laminate top layer goes, it's beyond repair. YMMV.

14. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Waxing would help, but it would wear off after a short while.

You're probably going to have to replace the floor for a long term fix.

15. SwingingAlong

I did a quick search, and there is information around on resurfacing a laminate floor, and stuff called "laminate sealer". I haven't had anything to do with resealing such a floor though, hence my previous comment about getting in touch with a manufacturer.

16. SwingingAlong

This is interesting - what happens when the top layer goes? Is being sticky on of the signs?