Ballroom Dance > Stoning Colours

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Lioness, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I'm adding stones to my dress/making a necklace to match it, and I'm having problems choosing which colour of stones to use.

This is my dress:

[​IMG]

As you can see, it already has stones on it...they're plastic, not-very sparkly stones that came with the dress. Eventually I'll completely restone it, but I don't have the money at the moment.

Someone gave me floats for the dress, and they're black. She suggested I add some black stones to the main bodice design, and I think that's a really good idea. I'm almost set on Hematite for those ones.

What I'm not sure is the colour to get for the necklace...should I include black in the necklace? Rhinestone-wise, I'd prefer to go with Elite Crystals, because they're cheaper, but they don't have a very good range of colours in the blues. Everything is either too blue or too green.
    I went to my local dance store yesterday, and Blue Zircon AB was the best matching one I found, but they were charging $20 for 1 gross, and that's way too expensive.

So now I'm looking at preciosa...I'm thinking either Aqua Bohemica, Blue Zircon AB, Bermuda Blue, or Indicolite. That's from what they look like on-screen...I don't know which will look good in real life.

Other than that, I'm planning to get some teardrop-shaped stones for the necklace.
    How much of a good idea is it to put any leftover blue stones on my dress? Will parts of it look too sparkly compared to the rest? This will influence how many I buy.

Also, how many black stones would you recommend for the bodice/gloves? I'm thinking about 5 gross...but maybe only 2 or 3? I'm thinking about 3 gross for the necklace. I got this for the base of the necklace: http://www.ebay dot com.au/itm/150675129943ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648#ht_884wt_1396

Thanks

2. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Hi Lioness.

How difficult would it be to remove the current stones on the gown?
    I've noticed that sometimes the cheap-o stones are not well attached. Yeah, I know it's a herculean task. Maybe just focus on the bodice area and leave the lower parts for later. If you're looking for something better than the plastic garbage stones but not $$$ like Swarovski while still looking nice, check out the DMC stones from seller "yw_market" on eBay. I think their "capri blue" would be a good match for your dress.
    add www ebay com / before this URL:
    itm/1440-DMC-Hotfix-Colour-Crystal-Rhinestones-SS20-/170802648295
    ($10.90 for 10 gross SS20, and they ship worldwide). Not affiliated with them, but bought some stones and was impressed with the quality for the price.

If you're going for black, I personally prefer jet over hematite. Hematite can be too grey/silver-y. I would also dye the venice lace for the necklace black before stoning it, to match the black floats (or buy it in black if available). It's hard to see, but it looks like there are stoned lace thingy accents on your dress and gauntlets. Can you remove them relatively easily and replace them with black venice lace? Just thinking out loud. Can you post a photo of the front of the gown?

3. Lioness

I can remove all of the stones...and I am planning to do that in the latter half of this year (DP is travelling...dance hiatus for me). When I do that I will completely restone.

$10.90 for 10 gross seems very cheap. Are they cut glass, or moulded glass/plastic? I'm really concerned about how sparkly the dress is, seeing as it is already a cheap $180 dress.

The only photo of the front of the dress is this one, and there is a watermark covering the main part of the stoning.

[​IMG]

I will look at dying the lace black...but I don't really want to add more appliques to the dress. Currently, the accents are velvet flower shapes with stones on them. I'm also planning to get better quality of stones for that part.

Will Jet be too black? It doesn't look very shiny at all.

4. Lioness

After a little more googling, I think Bermuda Blue might just be the perfect colour..."BERMUDA BLUE, a special effect rhinestone that changes different shades of blue (capri blue to turquoise) with movement!"

Also have to decide...seeing as it is hard to get larger shaped crystals in colours...should I do the flowers in Crystal?

Also going to be making earrings...I'm thinking square Crystal AB stones.

5. nikkitta

The $10.90 stones are DMC. They are not plastic. Google DMC rhinestones for more info. I believe there are different grades of DMC and some are better than others. The ones I got were nice.

I like those flower appliques. Maybe you can do the edges in black stones and fill the petals with blue? Jet stones do sparkle in the light. Not like crystal of course, but it's still a nice effect. What kind of floats do you have? I think having a well-stoned necklace, re-stoning the flowers, and possibly new bracelets attached to the floats would be sufficient. If you weren't going to have the black stoned necklace, I might suggest adding black stones to the straps and edging of the boobage area, but with the necklace I don't think it would be necessary. If you are using black gloves, can you steal some flowers to put on them from the current gauntlets?

I vote for flower-shaped earrings :cool:

6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I always like a combination of a color that matches with a contrasting color or colors that will add depth. So a blue that comes close to matching mixed with black, and maybe mix in some red or purple as that will add some shading "towards" the black.

I've used jet stones a lot on black (I absolutely detest crystal on black, it's polka dotted!) It adds flash and sparkle without saying "Here is a rhinestone!" like crystal does. :)

7. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I wouldn't try to add in some contrast colors to that dress unless you've got a very definite plan of where and how to do it. Contrast draws the eye so you want to use it to highlight various aspects of the dress. I would go with a variety of blues for this (shading all the way to black).

For cheap, nice stones, try preciosa, beadandtrim.com has them the cheapest I've found (~$40 for 10 gross) and they look great. I just ordered from them for the first time last week (also my first time trying out preciosa) and so far I'm very happy. They've got good clarity and I'm told they flash better on the dance floor because they have larger facets than the swarovski, but I have no personal experience (yet) to verify that.

As far as colors, I think jet AB would be good if you want black with more flash. What brand was the blue zircon AB you matched your dress to? The preciosa blue zircon is what I would describe as teal (it's one of the colors I'm using on my "jade" smooth dress I'm currently stoning). From the pictures you posted it looks like your dress is a turquoise color and I'd say the capri blue or bermuda blue looks to be the closest match in preciosa. If you want to add some light highlights as well, the aqua bohemica is a really pretty light sky blue that goes well with the capri blue.

8. nikkitta

eh, jet AB tends to have a green-ish glow to me.
    Since she has black floats, I thought it would be good to continue that color in places on the dress and accessories, i.e. necklace, bracelets, flower appliques, etc. Having an exact blue color match in the flowers is not as critical as the ones already on the fabric on the dress, so any of the blue shades you mentioned would probably look fine.

9. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Love preciosas, they sparkle like mad, on the dance floor, it's impossible to tell the difference between them and the higher priced ones. Great price, and beadandtrim has good customer service. (note to self: time to buy some light sapphire AB and mess with a dress)

10. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

11. Lioness

Nucat: huh?

Think I am going to get 10 gross of Bermuda Blue, 10 gross of Jet Black, and then some larger, fancy shaped stones for the necklace and earrings.

So excited! May end up getting the fancy shaped ones from my local dance store, because online only wants to let me buy them in packs of many.

12. Lioness

Has anyone experienced beadandtrim's international shipping? Any idea how long it takes/how expensive it is?

13. nikkitta

maybe nucat said a badword... :-?

eBay seller "dressmakingsupplies" has a good selection of larger stones, including colors:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Look under "sew on rhinestones" in their store. They do ship to Australia. While I haven't bought any larger stones from them, I have bought regular small round stones, and was happy with the quality for the price.

14. j_alexandra

The USPS will send a small flat rate Priority Mail box for $17US. That box will hold a *lot* of stones. It's about the size of an old VHS tape. They say it's 6-10 business days.

15. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, Preciosa has increased the number of facets on their stones from 8 (more flash) to 12 (more sparkle). So, other than minor color differences, they are a reasonable equivilant to Swarovski, usually at a slightly lower price.

I have an awesomenew rhinestone sample sheet from my supplier with all the colors of both Preciosa and Swarovski, and I can't see any difference in sparkle between the two.

16. Lioness

Just got an email back from beadandtrim...they are closed for the week of July 4th? Huh?

So I won't be getting them in time for the next competition...

They couldn't even send me a price list for shipping with their email...just a "we're closed for a week. We'll send you prices on Monday"

17. j_alexandra

That's a pity, but surely someone nearer you has Preciosas?

fwiw, July 4th is a major holiday here. It falls on Wednesday. Some businesses shut down for the whole week, often because people plan their vacations around either the holiday and Monday-Tuesday or Thursday-Friday, and in a small company like B&T, that has an impact.

18. Lioness

There's nearer vs. what I can afford...BNT was about half the price of some of the other things I found.

Money things that came up today mean that I can't afford to buy the stones yet, anyway. So no dramas.

19. j_alexandra

fyi in future, rhinestonesu.com has preciosas. you'll need to establish yourself as a business, or have a friend or boss who has a business, in order to get their wholesale catalog. You can do this online; their website was very helpful. Also had an "estimating how many stones you'll need" chart, which I downloaded and will cherish!

20. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Lioness, somebody on DF once posted this color wheel (unfortunately I can't remember who). I thought it was a big help when trying to decide what color of stones I should get to match a dress.