Event Announcements > STONY BROOK Comp

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by Kitty, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Kitty

Kitty New Member

We are pleased to announce the first annual

STONY BROOK BALLROOM DANCE COMPETITION!

Sunday, March 4, 2007

Registration is now open!

To register, please visit the Ballroom Registrar at www.ballroomregistrar.com/register/SUNYSB07/

Critical registration dates:

o Registration will be considered late after 11:59:59 February 18th

o Registration closes at 11:59:59 February 26th

o All fees must be received by March 4th

Where is Stony Brook University?

Stony Brook is on the north shore of Long Island, about 1.5 hours outside NYC by car or by train.

The competition will take place in the Student Activities Center (SAC) Ballroom A.

More information!
    Keep an eye on the competition website for more details!

http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Clubs/ballroom/comp.html

If you have any questions regarding the competition, registration, or special requests, please don't hesitate to contact the competition coordinator Navneet Singh:

Email: ballroom@ic.sunysb.edu

Phone: 714.697.0042

We look forward to dancing with you at the

Stony Brook Ballroom Dance Competition!

2. Kitty

Kitty New Member

The venue is beautiful! New ballroom with a beautiful wood floor.

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Professional Latin Show

an update:

We are proud to announce that our competition will be hosting a professional show by world renowned latin stars Lybomir Assenov and Veronika Simeonova!

For more information, please see our website at www.ic.sunysb.edu/clubs/ballroom. Registration is now open!!

--The Stony Brook Ballroom Dance Team

4. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Worth mentioning that the LIRR will take you from NYC to the edge of campus...

(just try not to leave your gown on the train)

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

haha, yes, the gown...

the train stops right on campus!
    the walk from the train to the ballroom where the competition takes place is about 5 minutes.
    the train is available from Penn Station in Manhattan, and Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn.

if anyone needs any directions, please let me know.

more competition in all levels , but especially in open standard will be very much appreciated:)

6. Hi Kitty!

Wish we could make it. Sounds like a wonderful comp! Good luck with everything!!

:)

7. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Hey, it's great that SUNY SB has this now. I went to SUNY SB and we used to live in that area for a long time, but that was before they built this great ballroom. They were finishing it the year we moved. :)

8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Thank you!
    Miss you so much in New York!

9. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Are you planning to come and compete?

10. tanya_the_dancer

No, can't do that weekend, and my husband has been having back troubles lately, I don't think we will be able to compete anywhere together in the near future. Besides, I don't think he'd want to compete at SUNYSB, after all he's been a faculty member there.

11. Chris Stratton

I can think of a few cases of faculty members competing at their schools. Why shouldn't they? The competitions are clearly open to everyone. And it is not like the judges have any relationship to the school's academic structure.

12. tanya_the_dancer

Well, for him it's about not wanting to go out in front of maybe former colleagues, or maybe people with whom he has worked together professionally, or might in the future and doing something he is not doing as well as he would like to. Kinda not wanting to embarrass himself. I see his point.

But it's nice that SUNYSB has got its competition. Makes me sort of proud of the place.

13. tanya_the_dancer

Btw, Kitty, is Donamarie still teaching the group classes for the ballroom club there?

14. Kitty

Kitty New Member

yes, according to this page:
    http://www.liballroom.com/homepage.html

DonaMarie and also Patti are teaching the Ballroom Club's group lessons.
    also I think saw her there last year when I did a performance at their dance...

just to make sure there is no confusion though want to add that the above club is a different club though from the group organizing the competition. The competition is hosted by the Stony Brook Ballroom Dance Team, which is a student composed and student run organization... and has their own team practices/classes...

15. Chris Stratton

Well, at the moment it looks to be a "semi-"final...

16. Anna

Anna New Member

I'll be out of town that weekend :(

17. Kitty

Kitty New Member

registration is growing and looking very nice actually
    just need some more competitors in the gold and open levels...