Tango Argentino > Videos > Strictly Come Dancing - Milonga

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Dave Bailey, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

2. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

My opinion, not bad. Not bad at all! It actually looks like a milonga. There are a few portions where the "Choreography" becomes obvious (self lead boleos, Too large strides, Dancing in promenade too much, etc.), a show tango (Milonga) shoud always look lead. But, otherwise, OK.

3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

This vid is first class choice: The couple is apparently dancing without any exertion, smile on their faces.
    Ok, this is not flawless Milonga con traspie, but the choreography is fresh, is diversified, and it has a lot of non-milonga stuff (stage-tango, orillero and figures from the 20th) mixed into it without getting too artistic.

I like it.

4. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

You know what? Mucho applauso for the band playing that. I can just about make out the keyboard player in the background. They can be a bit ropey sometimes, but they really caught the mood of that piece.

Irrespective of the crazy choreography, and spending half the dance pointing the wrong way, it is way closer to a convincing milonga demo than they ever managed for AT. Plus, get the sneaky walk on his feet trick!

I suppose it's a function of the speed hiding that it carries off. Pure flash, but good for that. I am happy to point at that and tell people that's a dance I do, with or without Bruce Forsyth's total lack of appreciation...

5. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

You know, I've tried this, but my partners never seem to appreciate it! ;)

6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Wow! I'm impressed. The lifts and stuff were kind of silly, and although I like dancing back-to-front I think it was overused. But they got it! Ho-ly crap, they really got it! It was playful, it was in time (impressive, since that's a fast piece and they danced it fast), they looked like they were enjoying themselves and each other (instead of fake, constipated, desperately-trying-to-remember-choreography faces), and it was actually an honest-to-god milonga. Real milonga steps and all that jazz.

Very very impressed. Finally, a mass-produced tv show that got it right.

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I nearly agree with you. As a judge I would say they lost the beat in the last quarter of the song; the ending was mis-timed and Milonga de Mis Amores has a really clear ending; too many tango flourishes that didn't really work but yes they got the spirit and essence of a milonga spot on and most of it was danced with delight. And they could have used a few more trapies...

8. Me

Me New Member

bnvngvfjk

*picks chin up from keyboard*

She looks like a completely different dancer in this video! So much more relaxed and so much more natural in her movement. I had seen some footage of Flavia's tango and I was not impressed. Many of her embellishments looked muscled through, and her walks were more of a Latin dancesport strut than anything tango.

This video is nothing short of amazing when compared to ones I have seen in the past. She looks great! I would love to know who she has been working with.

9. mshedgehog

mshedgehog New Member

Leandro and Romina, according to Romina, who mentioned it in a class this week.

10. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Pah, Tango Soul - they're the beggars who nicked downstairs at negracha for their private party last Friday. :(

It's not like there are dozens of neo-tango music venues in London...

11. mshedgehog

mshedgehog New Member

Yup, it was a good party too! ;)

12. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Oooh, you cow! :tongue:

Bloody Tango snoots, taking over my neotango refuge muttermuttermutter.

I'll wreak my rewengee on Friday, I've got about 20-odd people coming down to take the place over... THE NEOTANGO, IT SHALL BE MINE!!

Errr... OK, maybe that one was a bit OTT. :oops:

Where were we? :confused:

13. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Hey! Don't be calling mshedgehog a cow.:bkick: She's my friend, and an honorary member of the Seattle party table tango peeps... Gotcha covered mshedgehog! :banana:

14. Me

Me New Member

That is great to know! Thank you very much. :)

15. mshedgehog

mshedgehog New Member

It's Ok darlings I love you both. :* :* (Why doesn't that smiley work? It's meant to be a kiss anyway) DB's posses of neotango people do add a lot to this particular place. They're pretty much the only reason I ever go there - this was an exception.

You're welcome. L&R are very good show dancers and also teach social tango with a huge sense of fun. You can see quite a lot of them on YouTube. They've just gone back to Argentina for several months, to set up and choreograph some sort of a show, so the party was their farewell bash for all their students. They'll be back in April. Whether they're bringing the show with them I'm not sure. Hope it goes well for them anyway. They're so sweet together - I was muttering "get a room" several times during their performance and even more during Leandro's speech.