Tango Argentino > Strictly tango (and NOTHING else)!

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Jun 10, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

One milonga I frequent plays ONLY tango. It drives me crazy as I'm of the mind that though it's a tango event, they should chuck in the odd cha cha or salsa or something just to add a little spark here and there throughout the night.

Now I know I'm at an Argentine Tango event and should expect LOTS of AT, but the guy who runs it flat-out REFUSES to play anything but tango despite please from a large portion of the audience.

As much as I adore AT, the fact is I (and many others) welcome the chance to dance the odd non Tango dance.

When I last asked for a salsa, he was very rude about saying no and basically made sure I was totally put off asking for a salsa in the future.

What's the norm in your neck of the woods and am I being totally unreasonable to expect to hear one or two non tango tunes at a tango event?

2. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Only tangos, they sure have a weird DJ in this milonga. Even in Buenos Aires, after two tango tandas, they play an argentine waltz tanda, and then, after two tango tandas, they play a milonga tanda. So, you have tangos, waltzes, tangos again, milongas, tangos, and so on, it changes all the time.

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I think this is the way it should be: there is enough variety in tango/vals milong without the need to stoop to playing salsa or anything else!!!!

4. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Never been to a place that only plays Tango, but I bet that would be fun!

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

So the question MadamSamba is, is it only tango, with no vals or milongas or is it just the mixture of the three that bothers you? My understanding of a milonga is that they may be a tanda (set of 4 tangos), then a tanda by a different orchestra, then a milonga set of 4, followed by another two tandas followed by a set of 4 vals, then another two tango tandas...and so on. In my area of central NY, such as Syracuse, there have been milonga nights advertised with latin dancing following. I've also heard of milongas which have some latin dancing inbetween...and milongas where there is only tango/vals and milongas. Wanted to go to my first milonga this Sunday, but it will have to wait as I'm co-teaching a rueda class...

6. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

When going to a tango place I would prefer them not to play any Salsa and Cha Cha.

I can understand your desire, I myself wish for the odd swing tune now and then, but I accept that a milonga is neither the time nor the place.

7. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Oh, no. Is it just me?

Ok, to answer all your questions, no they do the whole waltz/milong/tango tanda routine, but c'mon, guys...you need SOMETHING else every 15 or so tangos.

Hell, even at a ballroom event they'll throw in a cool jive or a funky salsa among the foxtrots and at salsa events you might even get an Argentine Tango or a cha cha...perhaps I'm a bohemian tango dance?

Hmm... I like that. I wonder if bohemian_dancer@hotmail is taken?: )

PS: BTM, you're a purist. Should I ever get to England, I'll beat that out of you! :)

8. Sagitta

Mambo and jive are ballroom dances, so yes I would expect them to get some play at a ballroom dance. :)

9. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

M'am Samba, I suggest that you dance the cortinas. Between tandas, AT DJs usually play "undanceable" music to empty the floor. As the AT dancers are usually unable to dance anything else than AT, this "undanceable" music is often some disco or jive music, actually very danceable for ballroom dancers. So not only can YOU dance on them, but you'll have the whole floor for you.

10. Sagitta

So they never play salsa or some other dance style during the cortinas?

11. bordertangoman

In my defence I will say I will dance to:
    Gotan Project
    Tom Waits - Tango till they're sore/Soldiers things/All the World is Green
    Bajo Fondo Tango Club (with a Milonga track that is vitrually D&B!!)
    Roxanne from Moulin Rouge
    which I think makes me an extremist rather than a purist. :lol: :lol:

12. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Sometimes, and I mean rarely, I dance tango to foxtrot. My instructor thinks I'm nuts, but I've seen argentine tango done to slower foxtrot stuff, so why not American style? Perhaps this would be considered extreme? :)

Certainly not pure! ;)

13. Sagitta

I'm going to have to weigh in with MadamSamba on this one guys and gals. :) Having a salsa played during the cortina / intermission really helps me out as a newbie dancer. I struggle when doing AT, so having a great dance helps keep my spirits up, and ensures that my enthusiasm does not flag. I also like that the others see that I do know how to dance, and my clumsiness on the floor is due to my inexperience and not my lack of dance skill.

That's all I want. One salsa or two. I made a point of asking the dj to do this at the two milongas that I went to this weekend. And I'll keep doing it. :) I think that it definitely will help that I danced my salsa at the milonga yesterday night with the dj, also my danec instructor. I heard she plays a salsa at almost every milonga, but I'll also butter her up tomorrow at class so that I'm assured of my salsa on Sunday night milongas.

14. bordertangoman

This is really Invasion of The Salsarians!
    ; just because you are in a majority doesn't mean you're right.

As Voltaire might have said: I detest your salsa but I would die for your right to dance it; but not at a Milonga :D :D

15. Sagitta

Well, we do have the strongest specific dance style forum on df. :wink: :)

Actually simply think of it as great entertainment. They were two couples on last night at the milonga for the salsa, and we got applauded at the end of the song. :D

16. bordertangoman

ah well, trampled underfoot again....... :( :(

17. Sagitta

On this topic of only tango at milongas... I was talking with someone who grew up in BA in Argentina and he said that they sometimes play foxtrot/ballroom dance/swing and even salsa tandas. I'm considering playing a salsa tanda at the Sunday night milonga. I only must decide what songs... :)

18. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

That's the trick, Sagitta, the songs you pick have to be great. You can't throw in a crappy salsa (not that there is such a thing)! They must inspire purists like BTM :)P), rather than annoy the hell out of them!

he he he

19. Sagitta

I also know a couple people who want to do salsa so I must figure out the tempii and get that slow enough so beginners can dance with me. :twisted: Anything for a couple conversions. :)

20. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Yeah, baby!!

Am sooo excited. Buena Vista Social Club is in town and tonight the dancers are hitting one of the salsa clubs. I can't wait.

Hang on, aren't I the AT moderator? :))) Bad salsa, bad Sagitta. :)