Students bemoan prom night fiasco - school administrators freaked out

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Terpsichorean Clod, May 7, 2009.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

A) you would think that adults could somehow manage communication skills that might be somewhat more elegant than having to shut the thing down
    B) you would think children could be raised to respond as civil rational human beings
    C)ballrom dance and zumba in HS phys ed might have helped to allay this

3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Agree with A, B, and C.

D) It sounds as though the DJ should have been vetted more thoroughly.

4. fascination

yes...agree

"E" anyone?

5. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

The school administration probably warned the students beforehand that they will shut down the music if students do the kind of dancing they were not supposed to do. So they had to follow through, otherwise they would have discredited themselves. So here is

E. be careful with your threats, you might have to follow through on them

6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

E) Kids involved and the adults involved ALL need to grow up.

7. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

I agree.

8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

The kids need to stop whining and do as they're told. They were warned. Serves them right. And frankly parents who let their kids spend $1300 on a school dance need to get their priorities in order.

9. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

I don't see why anyone would want to spend $1300. It's a prom not a night at the Oscars.

10. fascination

exactly...a pet peeve of mine...I didn't even have a freaking limo at my wedding you think I'm gonna spring for one for a PROM....rotfl

11. fascination

then again, I have noticed that in some communities life is...well...so marginal....that very marginal things have to be held up as life's most significant events...

12. Me

Me New Member

Well what these 'adults' proved is that freak dancing is not tied to any particular kind of music. If the students want to do it, they will do it.

These 'adults' should know that if they are putting on an event that involves dancing, they just have to deal with the reality that some dancing will not be deemed appropriate by their standards, and they have to be prepared to take some measure of action to stop it.

It sounds to me that no proactive measures were taken at all. The adults fully expected this problem with the dancing, and came there armed with undesirable music and ultimatums. No dance lessons offered to give the kids something new to play around with, no real communication to the students that some music would be avoided...

And so the 'adults', in true childlike fashion, pulled the plug on prom.

At least, that is my reading on the article. I suppose there is no real way to know the entire story.

13. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

Given they spend that kind of money on prom, I can only imagine how much their weddings will cost.

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

there was a big fiasco in our community a few years back when, after spending their hundreds of dollars each for the event (or more), the school decided that someone was drunk so they took a whole bunch of students down to the police station for testing. ruined their prom. their test results were all negative. was national news...sillee business. sillee administrators.

my son's prom, actually. i also remember that at the same prom, two waitresses spilled bowls of macaronic salad all over some girls' heads & dresses. sheesh... poor things, what drama.

15. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

There are several factors at work here.

The first is that while the students should behave in a more adult fashion, the teachers need to recognize it's the students' rights to not behave in an adult fashion. Prom is an event held for seniors (yes, underclassmen do attend as guests. This is an important point, but the event is not held for them). In May, a senior is a high school graduate minus one week. In fact, non-graduates are usually not permitted to attend prom. The fact is, these people are for all intents and purposes adults who shortly will be doing the same dances at college parties only not in formal wear - except at Greek formals when it'll be even worse. If you want to stop sexually suggestive dancing, the time to intervene is well before senior prom - I strongly support Dancing Classrooms both as an alternative and as a way to give people an alternative style of dancing - but once the prom rolls around you have to trust the students to do the right thing and live with the consequences of a base, tasteless affair if they don't. As for underclassmen, it's for their parents to decide if they're comfortable letting younger sons and daughters attend an event knowing that sexualized dancing is likely to take place.

Then there's the outrageous sums of money aspect. I don't know who to blame for this. We live in a culture that not only maintains but encourages a princess mentality. True, the teenage girls buy into it, but what about their parents who support it, what about their boyfriends who respond to it, what about their peers who pressure them into it? I rented a tuxedo for my prom (the last time I ever did. For what it cost me to rent a tux, I purchased a phenomenal used tux and got it perfectly tailored), while my date borrowed a vintage kimono and obi. With an orchid corsage to match the kimono's print, I assure you we were a stunning couple. For transportation we carpooled with a friend who restores vintage cars and had a great time. The fact is, however, because satisfaction can't be quantified emphasis is put on cost end effort as a standard of social value. People aren't taught how to have a good experience, so they buy into the trappings - literally.

16. fascination

it may be their perogative but it isn't their right...as you note later in your post, these individuals are supposed to be adults for all intensive purposes...prom isn't an earned right to be a moron for a night...and if that right could be earned, it probably wouldn't be exercised by the kids who are actually capable of having earned it

those are not events sponsored by the school

agree...planning, prevention and explicit discussion of consequences should have gone home to each parent before prom and signed by all...just like everything else
    no...if the info is out in advance...then the folks violating the rules will live w/ the consquences

true if the school makes it clear that it is going to be relaxed in it's take on what constitutes acceptable modes of dance

as someone who works with brides and sees this silliness weekly, i completely agree

17. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

totally agree.

As for option E. I would've thrown the DJ and his set of hip-hop music over the side of the boat... with a paddle... :p

18. fascination

well...here's the thing; I teach zumba and we do alot of hip hop songs...there are pleany of moves that do not involve mounting behavior...and they could have been taught in phys ed

19. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

not sure where all this mounting type dance has come from these days :lol:

Not really a lover of hip hop... maybe I'm just old fashioned... Bring on the Enchanment Under the Sea Dance with some punch :cool:

20. fascination

there are plenty of hip hop songs that also aren't r-rated...I teach at the Y...we are very careful that way....I think it all boils down to a lack of intentionality and good planning...if anyone was thinking in advance much could have been done to strike a rational balance instead of a bunch of knee-jerking and rebellion...but, of course, that would take wisdom and patience and compassion...heaven forbid anyone should consider re-introducing those qualities (without pontification, but rather, by example) in society