Studio Music... Length and Selection

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by JudeMorrigan, Apr 6, 2012.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Two to three minute songs have been pretty standard at every independent studio I've danced at. It's funny how when they accidentally let one go the full duration, it seems to tend to be a vwaltz or a jive. De gustibus, I suppose.
  2. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Unless the party is focused on a particular dance, 2-3 minutes is about right. There are many reasons to favor that, such as giving people a chance to dance when there is an imbalance of leaders and followers, having a fair distribution in time of different types of dancing, not having to bring in the oxygen masks when they play an eight minute viennese or ec swing, not having dancers looking longingly at the clock when the DJ puts on a 10 minute cha cha...

However, that should determine the version and edit of the song in the playlist, it is not acceptable to cut songs off in the middle.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The studios I've attended have generally made their own CD mix, choosing songs carefully, so that fading out after one chorus or the other works just fine. No harm done. :cool:
  4. davedove

davedove Active Member

+1000!!!! There is nothing more jarring than to have a song just stop!
  5. pygmalion

That's why I appreciated one studio, in particular, using the fade function on their mixer. No abrupt endings.
  6. toothlesstiger

Several studios I go to stick to ballroom and latin compilation cd's, which keeps lengths and tempos under control, and only go outside of that for club dances, such as salsa, west coast swing, hustle, bachata...
  7. pygmalion

That's a good approach, too. :) The one studio, in particular, that I'm talking about focused on making people comfortable with social dancing -- helping people feel that they could take their dance skills from the studio and go out on the town. So they were very much into finding contemporary/pop songs that could fit ballroom dances. They were constantly updating their playlists from stuff right off the radio. I was pretty surprised, but they were right. If you listen to the rhythms instead of the lyrics, there's a lot of decent stuff on the pop charts -- at some times more than others, of course, but there is viable stuff out there.

ETA: I wonder if we have a thread about that -- pop songs that fit ballroom dances. I think there was one years ago. Would be neat to get an update. :idea:
  8. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

That is really good idea, I like it, "contemporary/pop songs that could fit ballroom dances" !
  9. pygmalion

Despite trying, I cannot find that older thread, because I cannot remember what it was called. I'm 99% sure it existed, at some point -- not a "favorite waltz" or "what would you dance to this song?" thread; a general, "What's on the radio right now that you can dance ballroom dance to?" thread.

IIRC, that thread was quite a while back. Might be worth starting a new one, if somebody can't find the old one. :cool:
  10. toothlesstiger

There's a lot of popular songs that make it into typical ballroom playlists. And if they are top 40, they are usually under 4 minutes. Lots of cha cha and rumba, primarily.
  11. pygmalion

I'll take a gander at the current top 40 and possibly start a new thread. Would be kinda cool to have that info in one place. :)

ETA: I should have been more clear. The dance studio I attended that used pop music for its dances didn't stick to the Billboard Pop top 40. They also checked out the R&B, Country, Jazz, Adult Contemporary, etc, lists, so their selection was a bit more broad than just cha and rumba. For example, the club/dance mix (not sure what that list is called, but I could probably find out) is big on hustle. Country? Lots of waltz and *some* two step that could be adaptable to foxtrot. Jazz/smooth jazz? Foxtrot. And so on.

Should probably start a thread, but I'm too lazy. Somebody else can. *grin*
  12. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

I'm not one for listening to current music so if I looked a top 40s list I would not know any of the songs! but I did search here like you. Here are some interest threads:

Disney Swing Songs?
    http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=30940&highlight=songs

Disney Songs
    http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=5504&highlight=songs

Guess a rule is if there is a new disney feature out; there will be danceable songs LOL

Contemporary/Top 40 songs for Viennese Waltz
    (was this the thread?)
    http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=33843&highlight=songs&page=2

Songs You Just HAVE to Dance To
    http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=123&highlight=songs

looking for foxtrot/west coast songs

http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=16167&highlight=songs

Any new thread would have to be keep current; that is maintained, to be of any use.
    I suggest, though a song on this list need only be instantly recognizable (Disney? LOL) to
    some one in their 20s and not necessarily new .

Maybe a moderated would like split this message to a new thread? While I have the time to
    maintain the list Ive not the knowledge of current songs. Maybe some young person would
    like to volunteer?
  13. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I'd be able to add songs as I find them...but I don't listen to a whole lot of modern radio. Somewhere, though, I have a list of modern danceable songs with their youtube links.
  14. pygmalion

Thanks for taking the time to search, mjnemeth. I'll read through some of the threads you found and try to put something together for a new thread ... but not right now. :wink:
  15. pygmalion

Wow. This thread has gotta have the least sexy title ever. :lol: Just found it. I will take some time later today and listen to some top 40 stuff, looking for danceable tunes.

I'll give it an 85, Mr. Clark. I can dance to it. :lol:
  16. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

I did that yesterday, for the top 40 for march 31. Listened to all song except for one.
    Not sure how good my musicality is ; two possible waltzes one possible chacha ( I can hear the beat in it, MAYBE, but not sure it fits the spirit of chacha) , one night club two step and another slow song very pretty but not sure what you could . Otherwise lot of music I could hustle to.
  17. pygmalion

Which songs? :cool: :)
  18. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Christina Perri A Thousand Years; waltz!

Adele Set Fire To The Rain ; chacha ; there is a 123 chacha beat in it but...

Bruno Mars It Will Rain; waltz?

Adele Someone Like You slow pretty but I do not know what dance.
  19. pygmalion

Thanks. I'll check it out. :-D
  20. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Yes. But.

Me either...