Tango Argentino > Styles anyone

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tanjive, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Member

If the connection is good, there is no such thing as independent movement. You can try to mute the signals sent to your partner, or ignore those received from them, but they are there all the same.

Unless she has exceptionally massive ankles, I agree that I probably wouldn't feel an ankle tilt much, if at all. There are a number of adornments like that, but they are at the extreme end of a very broad spectrum of movement alterations, most of which are more easily felt.

Mistakes in following can also become steps which are not led. ;)

Kidding aside, I use the term step to refer exclusively to a foot contacting the ground. In-between steps, where self-led adornments are most likely to occur, there is no contact. The leader is primarily concerned with the timing and placement of the foot, while the follower handles how it gets there. Deviating from the standard line and/or quality of a step is what I call an adornment. These can be led or not, as desired.

I'm not claiming the standard definition doesn't make some amount of sense, I'm just not convinced it's the best lens through which to view the dance.

Oh, I'm sure it's not that bad! I think at the level of basic steps and pausing, we both agree, it's just all the levels after that... :mrgreen:

Yes. In my view, they are adorned/embellished/altered steps, pauses, and pivots.

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

goodness! so how is it that i can make weight changes my partner doesnt follow
    or like last night in a vals she was stepping on One and I was stepping on one and two.

3. Nathan

Nathan Member

She's learned to ignore you. :D

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Nathan, in all seriousness, where are you getting your ideas? You have some of the most unusual definitions and interpretations and understanding of fundamental concepts I have ever run across. Are these ideas you've run across from teachers, or your own way of looking at them, or...??? Seriously.

5. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

Nathan - what Peaches said...

You have a very different way of looking at things. That's fine if it works for you and your partners. So long as you both connect and dance with the music no one can say you are wrong. After all, the tango that can be spoken of is not the true tango (Sorry, Lao Tzu).

6. Nathan

Nathan Member

Um, thank you? Haha.

Some of it comes from teachers, some from my own experiences dancing with many different kinds of followers. I don't believe the way I see the dance is really at odds with the standard view, but I've found that it allows me to dance in my preferred style more effectively.

7. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Gotcha. You're a fake. An elaborate kind of troll. Just pretending you believe to your own system where every common notion is reversed. Ok, it worked for a couple of days.

8. bordertangoman

nothing new there then.....:tongue:

9. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

You must be a Tango God, able to defy the laws of physics. :D

10. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

no apotheosis of a bear drinking guy, please: it already works with a side-volcada

I had some classes with Chicho F. last year and it went like this

man takes 1 step woman 2 ;)
    man takes 2 steps woman 1 :p
    man takes 2 steps woman 3 :?
    man takes 3 steps woman 2 :rolleyes:
    and so on with rhythm maths ...

I´ll be back in 2 weeks (go for LaGomera on vacation, think to visite Constantin from Berlin there, too. Think you know him. He has a holiday class over there.)

11. bordertangoman

whilst both of those may well be true... but I think its mostly like a conjurer's misdirection....or "Sleight of Foot"

i give her some nice swirly ochos timed nicely so the step is always on one, and while she's happily preoccupied I can can move my feet using Dissociation*

*Dissociation is the art of moving your legs and feet without moving you chest ( For Nathan's edification)

12. bordertangoman

I see this every tuesday in my classes so beginners and very advanced dancers dance much the same then....

lucky 'ole you would love to do some Chicho workshops..

13. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Isn't that a pause? :D

14. Nathan

Nathan Member

It's also the art of asking to be ignored. You seem to be quite skilled at it. :p

15. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

It's like being in some sort of parallel universe, where good means bad and up means down.

If it works for him, that's OK, (I guess), but it sure makes conversations difficult.

;)

16. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

:rocker:

17. salthepal

salthepal New Member

Wait, so does that make it a step or an adornment? I'm confused now! :uplaugh:

18. pascal

pascal Active Member

I was going to strongly disagree, but then I saw it was intended for Nathan. Then yes, of course, this is what dissociation means.

19. jantango

jantango Active Member

Which tango dancer dictionary contains that definition?

dissociation

noun
    1. The act of dissociate, dissociating or disunite, disuniting; a state of separation; disunion.
    2. (chemistry) The process by which a compound body breaks up into simpler constituents; said particularly of the action of heat on gaseous or volatile substances.
    the of the sulphur molecules
    the of ammonium chloride into hydrochloric acid and ammonia

(rfex, transform into real sentences)
    1. (psychology) A defence mechanism where certain thoughts or mental processes are compartmentalised in order to avoid emotional stress to the conscious mind.
    I see people all the time moving their legs and feet without moving the chest -- and I thought they were just walking.

20. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Like Stagehand terminology:
    Up is back
    Down is front
    In is down
    Out is up
    etc....
    :D