suede heel protectors?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by shallidance, Jul 19, 2007.

1. shallidance

shallidance New Member

Where do you gals buy suede heel protectors? The star shaped ones. I searched online, some website sells them only with shoe purchase.

Thanks!

2. Laura

Laura New Member

I make my own. I buy suede either at craft shops (but make sure you get REAL suede) or I order the suede replacement shoes that you can get for dance shoes and cut the stars out of that. All you are making is a big plus + sign, and the place where the two bars cross is the size and shape of your heel. So, start by tracing your heel, and then extend it out into a + and you are all set.

3. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I make my own too. You can little scraps of suede quite cheap that will make tons of stars in the leathercrafting area of any craft store. I make mine in the shape shown on this page:
    http://mitbdt.mit.edu/dancesport/heelcoverguide.html
    They're pretty easy to make once you get the hang of it.

4. shallidance

shallidance New Member

Thanks for reply. any link for craft shops or the kind of suede replacement shoes? And I assume some specific glue is needed?

5. shallidance

shallidance New Member

Very helpful. Thanks!

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

welcome to DF

7. shallidance

shallidance New Member

thanks for reply. Any chain store of those craft store? And what type of glue do you use?

8. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

I use tape to hold mine on.... I think that's what most people use, unless you're buying the ones that just fit exactly to the heel (like Eckse puts on their heels)

9. Laura

Laura New Member

I use old-school cellophane tape (not "magic transparent" tape) to hold them on. The reason why I use the older type of tape is because it stretches a little and so really holds the heel cover on. The magic transparent tape doesn't stretch, and tends to split easily along the edges of the heel covers.

10. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Clear medical tape on my tan shoes, electrical tape on my black shoes. I prefer the electrical tape, but it doesn't come in a nice tan or skin tone color.
    Got the suede from Hobby Lobby, but I've seen it at other craft stores as well.

11. elle

elle Member

Are suede protectors better than regular plastic ones? How long do they last? How do they look?

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I just cut small tip-shaped pieces of suede from old shoes and glue them to my partner's shoes.

13. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Thats a great idea Joe... So how do you glue them on, with shoe goop stuff?

BTY the shoe goo works great on other things! My EZ Pass fell off my car and I could not get it to stay on with anything... Used the shoe goo and is now stuck on great to my windshield!

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

DAP contact cement, just follow their instr. Roughing up the plastic heel tip helps with the bond. Also, make sure the suede is ever so slightly bigger than the plastic tip, maybe 1-2mm on each edge.

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

do you tape around the heel, over the parts of the cross that stick out, then?

if so, doesn't the suede & the tape appear unsightly on the heel?

i need to make my own. am amazed at how quickly the purchased ones deteriorate. and they are expensive.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

really? how long do they last, would you say?

17. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

If you do it pretty neatly, I don't think they're any more unsightly than plastic heel protectors, but they last LOTS longer. Besides, I try to dance well enough people aren't focusing on the heels of my shoes.:)

18. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I've been rotating 2 pairs of shoes. Over the last couple months I've averaged 1 private and 1 group per week, about an hour of practice and 3-6 hours social dancing each week. (And actually heavier than that for a good part of the time because we had a couple performances that required extra practicing.) My pair of shoes I wear more often lasted about 3 months, the other pair I changed the heel protector, but it could have lasted longer. Compare that with friend of mine that dances about the same amount, uses plastic ones, and seems to change them every other week.

Oh, I once tried Joe's method. Didn't work out very well for me. Of course I didn't scuff up the heel first, so that might have been a problem. But for me it's easier to do the taping so I can just change them out easily when it's time to do so.

19. Laura

Laura New Member

I like them better because they provide a bit of glide on the floor, and becuase they last MUCH longer than the plastic ones. I can wear out a pair of plastic ones in about three hours of dancing, but a pair of suede protectors will last me about six times as long. The look fine for practice. I've been known to dye mine the same color as my shoes and use them in competition, too.

20. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

You can see the tape if you are sitting right next to the person while they are putting on their shoes. But it isn't noticable while they are dancing.

As for which kind is better, I think its totally a matter of personal preference. My advice to original poster is to try both and see what you think.

On a different note, (just out of curiosity and since there are so many science folks around this board), can anyone tell me why my plastic heel protectors glow in blacklight? :confused:

Oh, and while I am asking questions, let me ask one more that befuddles my peabrain: Why suede on the heel anyway? I have a pair of standard shoes that I got plastic heel protectors for and they have suede glued on to the bottom of them. I got plastic heel protectors for my latin shoes and they do NOT have sued glued on the bottom of them. In fact, I looked for some with suede and they were not available at all. I dance in both suede and no suede and honestly dont feel the difference(I feel more difference in the flared vs. straight heel, but not the suede vs. no suede). So just wondering what it does/doesnt do to have it on the bottom of my heels...

(man, I'm full of weird/dumb questions today! so much to know, so little room in my peabrain!)