Tango Argentino > Suffocatingly close embraces

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Mar 28, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Just wondering how the ladies handle this (or how men handle women who "hang" off them) when dancing.

Last night I danced with a lovely chap at a milonga. The only problem was I felt like I couldn't breathe for mose of the dance, he held me so tight. He wasn't being even slightly lecherous, but his embrace was waaaaaaaaaay too tight. I asked him to give me a little space, but he was convinced it was the most appropriate hold for a milonga (the faster Argentine tango, rather than the social).

Of course, he was correct and I had no problem following, but it would have been nice to have breathed a little during the dance.

What do other ladies do in this position? Do you say outright, "quit holding me so tight, mate" or do you diplomatically poach a little breathing space throughout the dance? And gentlemen, what do you say to a girl who hangs off your arm and tries to "drag you down" with her?

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Shouldn't that be "I know you've been shearing sheep for the past six months, but quit holding me so tight, mate"

or "quit holding me so tight, mate, I'm not a bl :D :D dy kangaroo.!"

as for the dragger-downers I just step away until they keep their own balance. I did this to an ex-girlfriend who got the message about keeping her own balance instead of throwing us both off each time she did a back ocho.

3. etchuck

etchuck New Member

I have been working on that particular problem (holding my partner too close) in my ballroom dancing. (In my American tango, we have to contact on the right abdomen but still need to keep space, or else we essentially collapse into each other.)

I think that the more confident you are of your dancing, the more you can establish your own dance space so that the leader doesn't crush you. First off, that puts you off balance and the lack of a connection on your back means you cannot figure out how far the leader wants you to step if you are going backwards.

I suppose barring that, you can say politely "I need to breathe." Or, if you want to be more provacative, you can rub your body up and down his to make sure you have enough space between you. Or you can be blunt and press his tummy away from yours. :)

4. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

And this is supposed to encourage him to give more space? :? Don't you think this would have an effect on :snake: ?

Or maybe we should just say:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

That's one way to make his banana dance....

5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Of course you can always apply the vulcan death grip with your left hand........ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: