General Dance Discussion > Suggestions for how to locate and hire dance teacher for fundraiser

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by innerlightbigsky, Sep 30, 2016.

1. innerlightbigsky

innerlightbigsky New Member

Hello all, I'm working on putting together some fundraising events for my church. One thing I'd like to do is have a monthly community dance night by hiring a dance teacher to teach a beginner lesson. (variety of ballroom and latin styles) that will get everyone dancing, and then provide music for an additonal hour so that people can dance in that style. I'm finding that looking on craig's list and sites like gigsalad don't provide the outreach I'm trying to make so I am on this forum to ask for suggestions as to the most appropriate way to recruit good instructors that would be interested in offering a couple hours of their time and talent (paid). I have taken a variety of dance lessons over the years and have been blessed by classes with outstanding teachers. Short of attending a class and approaching a teacher directly with my proposal, I don't know any other way at this point. To go through an entertainment company would start to defeat the purpose of the fundraiser. I don't want to risk violating terms of an employment contract /agreement by approaching teachers in a dance school directly. What is the best way to go about finding and hiring a teacher, and what is a fair rate to offer a teacher for this kind of event? In NYC one can attend a lesson and dance the remainder of the night for $15 at most milongas, practicas, or practice nights at the dance schools. I figure that would be the suggested donation for our church events. Would hope to get a teacher at a price that makes it a worthwhile fundraiser with the right amount of people. It could also be a win for people who might want to take classes with the teacher afterward. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Call some studios and ask.

IndyLady likes this.
  3. PaulBunyon

PaulBunyon Active Member

My local USA Dance chapter publishes a listing of both independent instructors and studios in their monthly magazine and on their website. Check your chapter.

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Agree check with local usa dance chapter

5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Google dance instuctors in your city. If they're advertising online, they're likely available to do outside the studio events.

Loki likes this.
  6. innerlightbigsky

innerlightbigsky New Member

Thanks to all for the suggestions!