Tango Argentino > Swango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Spitfire, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Last night for the very first time a "Swango" was held at one of the studios here. It went pretty well. Got to meet some people I had not met before, they were from the AT community; I'm not into AT myself, but everyone had a great time with doing that and WCS. Some only did one; others did both. Was told of the difficulty gathering music suitable to both dances. Those who organized and hosted the dance are hopeful that it can continue.

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I'm still waiting to hear of, or see, the first "swango" move that can be led on an unsuspecting WCS dancer without it being explained ahead of time.
    I've been able to lead a low gauncho in nite club with someone who has never had an AT lesson, and switching into and out of "crossed system" is also relatively easy in nite club. (She guessed immediately that it was "tango stuff.") I can also can put a gauncho into Traveling Cha Cha, do a calaceta in nite club, etc.

From what little of what I've seen of people dancing a hybred of these two dances, which both pretty demanding, has not been pretty for the average social dancer.

Might be fun if someone has found some youtube videos we could look at.

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Some of this was being done; there are a lot here who are into both WCS and Tango, but while there may have been some switching most appeared to be doing one or the other.

4. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Gosh, that is one of the reason that made me completely stop going to WCS venues. Everyone knew I danced tango, so a many were too eager to try their "tango moves" on me. In the middle of completely different (if not say opposite) environment, mood, mindset, feeling, music, dress, social setting and physical interaction between partners...to me it felt plain horrible. Sorry, didn't care for that at all. Besides, if I wanted to dance tango that night I would have gone to a milonga.

5. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

This...(emphasis mine)...

6. Nathan

Nathan Member

I've never had the privilege of hearing swango music, to which a hybrid of tango and swing could properly be danced. Does anyone have any examples they could share?

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You could prolly use a lot of electrotango.

8. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Well just search on youtube for swango music. Also there is swango blues:
    http://www.swangoblues.com/

9. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member