Dancers Anonymous > Sweat concerns

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by alexandrahweis, Apr 30, 2013.

1. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

So I dance 6 days a week, 4+hours per day. Long story short, I sweat a lot. Recently the aluminum in my anti perspirant deodorant has caused me concern about heavy metal build up and breast cancer. Are there any natural alternatives that actually work for a dancer, I've tried a couple that didn't work at all.

2. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

See your physician for a prescription strength anti deodarant

3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Aluminum is not a "heavy metal"; metals like lead and cadmium are heavy metals. Nonetheless, allergic reactions to aluminum-bearing antiperspirants do happen. Probably, for that much dancing, your best bet is a good deodorant and taking an extra top or two. Cotton is one of the best moisture-absorbing fabrics, so wear a cotton top for practicing and lessons and save the fancy tops for occasions.

4. alexandrahweis

You miss understood, I have a deodorant that works just fine. I'm looking for a natural option.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

bah...nothing works if you sweat that much...short of surgery ...and the people I know who have done that have been very very very sorry, because they fatigue and can't cool their bodies

6. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I don't know about natural alternatives, but Botox shots work!

7. fascination

I will live with my wetness :)

cornutt and Loki like this.
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I would think an anti deodorant would not be something anyone would want!

SwayWithMe and JudeMorrigan like this.
  9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Is it the sweat or the stink that concerns you?

10. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I had that when I first tried an anti-perspirant..horrible sensation.

alum stones work, i think they just kill the bacteria that makes sweat smell bad. I have been told that sodium -bicarbonate works too but never tried it.

http://www.crystalspring.co.uk/prod...rant-classic?gclid=CL3Yv8XS97YCFZMbtAodO2kArw

11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

botox is natural....just umm err refined a little:D

JudeMorrigan likes this.
  12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I use Crystal brand and Jason brand. No chemicals. They are deodorants however, and not antiperspirants. I don't really want to be stopping up my sweat glands, they work for a reason.

3wishes and mindputtee like this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

sooo true

14. alexandrahweis

Thank you all for your suggestions.

15. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

there are natural products also listed on various web sites concerning people who sweat profusely in their daily life not just dancing, this may give you more options to check out as well, several items are, more than likely in your pantry. When i teach a downhill race clinic there is more than a fair share of all day swaeting going on, like larinda i do not want to stop the stop but i do not want to offend my students or their families either when the jacket comes off.

16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I actually don't mind a healthy clean sweat, on myself or others. As long as it is fresh and clean there is no odor.

mindputtee likes this.
  17. fascination

I don't mind it, but I never assume that the guy who has to dance with me feels the same way

18. alexandrahweis

I feel the same way, fresh sweat doesn't bother me. But I can't assume the guy doesn't care.

19. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Fresh sweat doesn't bother me until it is actually dripping onto me. Had a guy drip right into my eye once. Icky icky icky.

20. fascination

yep my pro is pretty tolerant until the loose hair starts to dripping...bless him