Swing Dance Clothes

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

What do you wear??? For fun and for dress up . . . social and competition . . . women too . . . Any favorites???

I love clothes, and love to go clothes shopping with my wife . . .

For fun and social dancing . . . I'm a stickler for jeans, like really tight in the derriere, yet very baggy and wide in the legs . . . form-fitting body shirts, and either tango shoes or dance sneakers.

For evening and competitions, I usually wear black dress slacks that have extremely baggy wide-legs, and an untucked-in 'swing-type' shirt - the 30's, 40's, 50's kinda looking shirt. I always carry about 3 shirts and three pair of tango dress dress shoes for those "hot dance" nights!

If the dance is very mixed, like has ballroom, salsa, and hustle music, I have a tendency to dress somewhere in the middle!
  2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I dress casually for the swing dances since that is what the atmosphere is. For me that's a t-shirt and sneakers.

I dress up more for ballroom.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

For swing especially, I like the "twirly" and "swishy" skirts from dancestore.com. Perfect for swing. Cheap. Washable. Available in a bunch of colors. And boy, do they feel good when you move.

I use these mostly for dress-down dancing, but have a friend who with a little imagination, was able to make some great costumes using these skirts as a starting point.
  4. d nice

d nice New Member

Wow, Vince you are such a westie.

I stopped having dance clothes and non dance clothes for the most part. I just wear clothes appropriate to the venue.
  5. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I tend to bring an extra shirt to freshen up mid-way throught he dance... I'm sure it's appreciated and it feels better.

Other than that I just select clothes that I can move in... which basically describes the bulk of my current wardrobe any way-- although I do sometimes use it as an occassion to dress up a little (although I'm sure that my level of dressing up is hardly noticable compared to many other folk... alas)
  6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Absolutely! Even though I'm an East Coast transplant???

So you Sacramentans aren't into clothes, eh?

There are reasons behind the question . . . I believe that the dressing up part of Swing dancing is an art form all by itself. I wear extremely baggy slacks and body shirts, as do most of us "westies."

But how about those "easties?"

How about the Zoot suiters?

How about those Lindy dancers?

In an another thread, "agression" was mentioned . . . I'm wondering if it is the jerks who are dancing these days?

Or is it the music and venue???

Where I dance there is an emphasis on comradery . . . family . . . manners . . . using your brain on the dance floor . . . and really neat styling! And "yes," there are exceptions to it! The jerks are there, but there are few of them!

Side bar question d nice: do you ever attend any UCWDC events in the area?
  7. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Ahh dance clothes, my favorite subject. I'm always buying something new. For evening dances, I mostly wear black pants (flares are nice) and any top that has spagetti straps or looks cool enough to dance in because we get pretty hot dancing all night. :lol: I like the girlie frills or lace. I've got tons of dance tops and pants, the more sexy the better. If it's during the day, I like jeans and a tank top. For country dancing, I like my black Rockies (tight) and cowboy boots. If I have a country looking top, I'll wear it, otherwise any dance top will do.
  8. pygmalion

Since we're expanding beyond swing into dance clothes in general.

For C&W, gotta be tight, tight boot cut jeans, and boots, of course. Any top will do.

For ballroom, a little black dress is nice, not too tight around the knees. Breathable fabric, and if it's long, slits in the sides, not front or back.

For salsa, I go for the looks. Comfort comes second, 'cause I want to get some dances.
  9. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Well, I don't know about that. I certainly can't speak for everybody. Maybe it's because we look so nice regularly that we don't see much point to try to add to our splendor! :D (I dunno, just a guess!) For me it's not about being seen, thus less stress on the hip threads, it's more about the dance and movement, so as long it doesn't limit movement and is comfortable for both me and my lead then it's a go. Of course I want to look nice but unless I'm working (painting and some carpentry etc.) I do that any way.

could you clarify these questions for me? I would appreciate that.
  10. d nice

d nice New Member

Westie is the affectionate term of endearment that lindy hoppers have given West Coast Swing Dancers. It isn't a statement about location or place of origination.

It isn't that I don't dress up. I just wear clothes appropriate to my personal style when I go dancing. What you see on the dance floor is what you'll see any other night out. Anything less is just to "costume-y" for me.

Lindy Hoppers tend to be "slobs" by westie standards. Lindy Hoppers tend to be younger and the new generation of America's teens have taken "casual" to a whole new level. Baggy or loose jeans, cargos,"rave-pants", shell top addidas or other sneakers that have been chromed, baggy shirts for the guys baby tees and other close/tight tops for the girls. These tend to be what you'll see at lindy hop events.

UCWDC? Nope. Not really into country dancing. I have thought about going to the Fresno event, but nwever get around to it.
  11. pygmalion

You say costume like it's a bad thing! :)
    Actually, I just enjoy having an excuse to collect all those clothes for different types of settings. Maybe it's a girl thing. :?: :)
  12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Swing Kitten,
    I'm glad you ended with "Of course I want to look nice . . ."

I think we all do, and I think the clothes make us feel "the part" somewhat. It' s like . . . well, some of the events that I go to, they also have C&W dancing. I may wander back and forth between the C&W floors after a 2 Step and go over to the Swing floor for a WCS.

If . . . I'm wearing tight Wranglers and Evening Star dance boots . . . you know . . . I just cannot get down and funky . . . or at least that feeling is not there . . . as much as I could if I were wearing more Swing-type clothes. "Yes," I know I could, but it's the feeling! It's kinda similar to dancing a WCS to Shania Twain . . . it can be done . . . it just doesn't get done for me!

I am also a professional, and know that I act the part much better in a three-piece suit at a meeting, than I would if I had on a golf shirt and slacks. I'm still the same person, just "fell' differently.

As far a clearing up the questions . . . well d nice called me a "westie." I was wondering what "easties" wore? The ones that I know dress like I do.

I earlier said you "look the part, you act the part." If I wore a zoot suit to a country dance, I certainly wouldn't feel right. I just could not dance!

Etc., etc., etc. I just wondered if clothes, the style or what you wear makes a difference? You mentioned movement limitations and comfort . . .
    I could wear spandex bottoms and a tank top to get these, but I wouldn't dance the same, nor would my wife dance with me.
  13. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I guess it is a girl thing, Pygmalion. Anytime I'm out shopping, I always look at clothes and think that it would be a great "dance" top or pants. I'm sort of running out of closet space. :D
  14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Most of the women I associate with 'are' dancers . . . and that is exactly what they say when they are out buying clothes . . .
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

If it's not a classy place, it's my regular plaid pants
    and a button shirt. If it's a nice place, though, I'll
    match it with the appropriate level of a comfortable
    suit, sans tie for heating purposes.

-FF
  16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

"Westie" . . . see I learned a new word today???

UCWDC events are no longer stricly C&W. Everyone that I have attended in the last year or so also have a strictly Swing floor and competition in Swing and Hustle. I meander back and forth between the two, but am usually on the Swing floor!

Fresno is best . . . the main floor is for "mixed" dancing and the atrium is Swing only! Great event, great dancing, great people, great partying! The women out-number the men about 8 to 1! You literally could dance all night, as most people stay up until the wee hours of the morning just dancing. Many dance in PJs.

Try it. You'll be hooked!
  17. dancergal

dancergal New Member

I totally agree with Vince. The Fresno event is the most fun of all. Lots and lots of non-stop dancing and I like the two dance floors. If I got tired of country, I could take a break and dance swing. We missed the "Gong Show" because I just couldn't wake up that early. I hear it was really funny.
  18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Fresno is Number 1.

The wake-up skits are too funny, as is the Gong Show. This year they even did a take-off of that show Fear Factor. . . in which contestants ate worms! Absolutely side-splitting!

Dancing 24 hours-a-day! Hospitlaity rooms, and many skimpily-dressed females . . . :shock:

Don't go to Fresno if you cannot have fun or are a prude!
  19. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Thanks now I know to avoid it! :wink:

You had me up until that point with the skantily clad women out numbering the men 8 to 1 and everything-- yes I find that sooooo appealing :roll: - I really hope you can sense my sarcasm!... I'm lying it on extra thick just for you!!!

:D
  20. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Swing Kitten,

Thanks . . . the thicker the better! Now . . . you know I only go there for the dancing!

So, save me dance when you get there . . . OK!