Swing Discussion Boards > Swing Dance Clothes

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Sep 2, 2003.

1. d nice

d nice New Member

"Bag of rags"?... 'nuff said.

Cultural Mavens have always set the style trends. Black jazz/blues musicians in the 30's were the first to start wearing oversized clothing as a fashion statement which was quickly picked up by the dancers. The bohemian culture that they spawned were the first to wear all black as a fashion statement, another way to visually distance and distinguish themselves from mainstream society.

Clothing can accentuate lines, even though it may hide the limb responsible for the movement. A long dress hides a womans legs but the way the dress flows, swirls, and hangs gives a better and more visually captivating dynamic to strides, spins, turns, and stops. Loose flowing pants do the same for men.

2. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I have 16 pairs of shoes :shock:

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You ALL are so bad . . . you're worse than I am.

I have a shoe fetish too!

If you love clothes, you gotta have shoes!

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

All I need are my single pair of Tony Llama boots when I dress up and my sneakers for those more casual atmospheres. Not enough room for so many pairs of shoes.

5. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Oh, I was counting everything from hiking boots to sandels... I have one pair of shoes I go dancing in.

:lol: but it would be interesting to hear both numbers!!

.... did I mention you're adorable??

6. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Hmm...I have about 25 pairs of regular shoes and 2 pairs of dance shoes, but I'm ordering 2 more pair next week.

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Come on, MissAlyssa!

How can you call yourself a dancing female with only two pairs of dancing shoes? Get out there and shop, girl! :D

8. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

lol, I am too addicted to buying clothes to remember to buy shoes :lol:

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I waited 4 days to see if anyone would come back at you for your last post.

I don't know which of those two vices is the better one (or bad???) for me???

I just looked at my shoe racks this past weekend and said . . . "sorry, some of you have to go to make room for some new ones." Of course, there was 'no reply,' so off to Goodwill they went! Off to the mall I went. But I didn't find anything that I liked . . . :cry:

10. pygmalion

I also wondered if anyone would reply. Here's the thing: if you're a dancer, you have great excuses to buy both, so why not?

I have a closet full of dance clothes, and another closet full of shoes. Why not? I need them to dance in. :lol:

11. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

... this really makes me question my position as a dancer!

I only have one pair of shoes I dance in (note** I did not call them 'dance shoes'!) and they're not even chromed!!

I am a poser and a fraud! and yet oh so sensible!! :D

How did I sneak in here!!

lol

12. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

POSER!!! lol, just playin', I just ordered another pair of shoes yesterday I'M SO EXCITED TO GET THEM!!

13. pygmalion

I found this neat article about swing dance clothes and shoes. This is the first time I've seen someone differentiate swing shoes from dance shoes in general. I agree, btw. I have ballroom shoes -- mostly International or Supadance. And I also have swing shoes -- Bleyer. Hmm. Swinging in court shoes or Latin shoes really does bang into the balls of your feet. I like the cushioned insoles in the Bleyers.

http://www.uky.edu/StudentOrgs/HKSDC/Shoes,Clothes.html

14. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

I just bought a pair of black Bleyer Swivel shoes. They're so cute. I'm not sure if they're too big though...hmmm...

I should have ordered two sizes and sent one back. It's tough ordering shoes online.

15. pygmalion

Did you get the insoles? Without them, the shoes will definitely be too big. Even with them, my shoes feel a little roomy. That's the downside of the Bleyers. You also have to pay the extra $18 (I think?) for the insoles, or the shoes don't work.

16. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

The insoles are built in :( But they'll probably be ok.

17. pygmalion

Oooh. Yeah. You're right. I'd forgotten. Bleyer does have a couple styles with built-in insoles. My bad. Most of their shoes, you have to buy the insoles separately. But not all. :oops: 8)

18. d nice

d nice New Member

The Swivel is the only shoe Bleyers makes that is any good. The insoles are the only good thing about the other shoes. The rest of their shoes tend to fall apart and their "spin spot" is next to worthless for swing.

If you want to do lindy hop your best bet is to pick a low heeled shoe or athletic shoe you like and have mens dress leather put on the sole. It will give you some traction, but still allow all the slips and slides and spins you'll want. It will be far more comfortable, far more durable, and FAR more stylish.

19. pygmalion

How do you feel about the dance sneakers -- the Capezio or Danskin ones? Or the ones with suede soles?

My Bleyers are holding up very well after six months of wear -- of course, I don't swing dance nearly as much as you. *shrug*

20. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I hate Capezio jazz sneakers... the only brand that I really like -- and I really *do* like them -- are Blochs (although they may not be suited for swing... I'll leave that call up to an expert such as d nice).