Swing Discussion Boards > Swing Dance Clothes

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Sep 2, 2003.

1. lindy jihad

lindy jihad New Member

as i have said before, i dont really dance anymore, but i did go to a dance tonight.
    i was sporting the best shirt. ever.
    Cinderella - Long Cold Winter Tour 88-89
    its so awesome. its that niiiice 80s buttrock thin cotton.
    thats what swing dancing is all about.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I hope you had fun at the dance, lindy jihad. Cool shirt, either way! 8) :D

3. pygmalion

Woa! I found a couple websites with vintage-look clothes and shoes. Has anybody tried them? Re-mix Vintage Shoes for 1940's wedgies, and 50's flats, and cool wingtips for men. And Zoots by Suavecito for zoot suits. Anybody? These clothes look cool! Oh yeah, and no Bleyers are involved. :lol: :lol:

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Hiya Jenn,
    In all of your travels on Google, have you run across any sites that have men's shirts, like the swing dancers wear . . . short sleeve, mainly black, where the whole front sections are a pattern or something like that? Kinda like the one in my "photo album" pictures, the one with Carolyn and SDsalsaguy.

I'm looking for some with musical instruments or cars themes too!

If you happen to see any . . . let me know???

5. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I've got my shoes!!! :lol: now I just have to see about dancing in them ;)

6. pygmalion

Yay for new shoes. :D Do tell.

7. pygmalion

Sorry I missed this before, Vince. Sure. I'll keep my eye open.

8. bgirlswinger

bgirlswinger New Member

I have some sites on my list but I often find that going out around town in our own jackyard can be an advantage. Jenn there is are 2 vintage shops in 5 points which is located on the riverside of jacksonville. One of them has bee naround for a couple of years and it is a cool little retro shop. The other one is eith right next door or liek 2 doors dow ncalled Violet and it has alot of vintage skirts, shirts, jackets, scarves, hats and i stay i nthere for a while just chattign to the lady about the clothes, and droolign over the clothes and I htink I wil go back tommrow. lol
    for shoes I like Bleyers, and converse-all stars, I have flat feet so I am particular about the shoes I get. i HAVE TO WEAR MY ACTUAL "DANCE SHOES" to get the complete slide effect. everyone has a different style too. mine is kind of "punkish." and so I rarely dress up but I do have a few things in my collection.
    -amber d
    amber d.

9. pygmalion

I know what you mean, bgirlswinger. Some of my best retro clothes I've gotten from my (10 to 20 year) older sisters and my (older than that LOL) Mom.

Also, for people who sew, a few pattern companies (Vogue, Butterick, Simplicity and McCalls, I think) have retro patterns currently in print. Move quickly, though. Some of those retro patterns are already being discontinued.

10. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

Actually, most of those have already been discountinued. I think Vogue is the only line still carrying vintage patterns. There are several companies that sell actual vintage patterns on the internet.
    Also, there are lots of patterns you can easily modify to look vintage, and some patterns, though not "vintage" have that retro look anyway.

As far as nice shirts for men go, sewing your own is always a good inexpensive option, but also check out www.daddyos.com for some nice (but not all of them are!) shirts.

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

That's one of the sites I was looking for . . . thanks LindyKeya . . . I lost them when my hard drive had a melt-down!!!

12. pygmalion

Yup. You're right about the patterns being discontinued. But guess what I found out? (via google, of course :lol: ) Butterick, Vogue, and Simplicity all carry a stock of discontinued patterns. I googled on discotinued Vogue patterns and got contact info. Just contact the company, and you can get one of those old vintage style patterns. Cool.

And as for actual vintage patterns -- I bet they are more authentic. But, from a seamstress's point of view, a lot less user friendly. Dress sizing has changed since the 40's/50's, seam allowances have been added, and a bunch of other stuff. A retro pattern is probably easier to work with, unless you're a very experienced seamstress.

13. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Don't slam me, but around here, we call those "teenyboppers". ;) The "grownups" tend to dress a little differently...

14. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

15. pygmalion

You have some? Do tell. I want to get some. and soon.

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yup . . . I want a pair, as well . . .

17. Diavo

Diavo New Member

My swing dancin' outfit:

*b&w wintip Stacy Adams w/ dance sole
    *dress socks
    *black slacks, baggy
    *suspenders (button on) and/or thin classy belt
    *T-shirt or a beater if summertime
    *lounge shirt (I have a total of 15 to choose from currently) [ great examples at www.bowlingshirt.com, don't have any of those tho]
    *porkpie hat

That's my usual, it's dressy (swank) yet light and keeps me cool (I get *really* hot dancing, I swing hard). Sometimes the occasion calls for something more dressy, so that's when I don my black w/ white pinstripes zoot suit (my mom made via my tailoring instructions! :p )

--Diavo

18. pygmalion

Sounds cool, Diavo. Got any photos? You can always post in the photo album and let us see how cool you look. :wink: :D

I like your look. Cool, but just dressy enough. Excellent taste, if you ask me. :D

19. Diavo

Diavo New Member

You can see a couple of pictures of me swung out at my website
    www.geocities.com/CoolestIntentions >Enter>Photos>Swing and also >Photos>Magic (I'm a magician and there's a pic of my friend doing magic tricks for Big Bad Voodoo Daddy summer '03 in Baltimore)

More coming when I finally finish this roll of film on my camera, it's mostly of swing dances! =)

--Diavo

20. pygmalion

You look too cool! 8) :D