Swing Discussion Boards > Swing Dance Clothes

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Vince A, Sep 2, 2003.

1. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

Jeans are awesome (for men) because of how comfortable they are. Especially good for those nights when you are going to dance that has DJ music only.

2. Steve Park

Steve Park New Member

My DD danced competitively for years and I loved every minute of it. I always go through suggestion of her dance teacher what she wants to wear. My DD has eczema so she does not like tights for that reason So I thought custom Dancewear are very comfortable for her and Is our responsibility to choose which is right Dancewear.

3. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

Women should wear dresses or skirts that fly up to show plenty of panties. And I don't mean panties that look like runners shorts!

4. Steve Park

Steve Park New Member

I thought that Women should wear legging, Camisole, tank-top, jackets for dance also

5. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

I so wish more women in 2016 would have the same attitude as this sweetheart from 2005! There would be a lot more men dancing if it was so.

6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Beware any videos showing the follower in a skirt – authentic WCS is only danced in pants

Wow, who knew?

(from a West Coast Swing web site... except my comment)

7. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Pretty much anybody who dances in the WCS world. ;) What I was told early on was, "if you are going to wear a dress, you had better own that dance floor." There are certainly examples of top pros with the follower in a skirt or dress, however. And in reality, you show up at a WCS event in a skirt or dress, nobody cares one way or another. However, if you are going out of your way to make a video, the follower wearing a skirt or dress advertises that you are some sort of "cross-over dancer". Necessarily a bad dancer? No. Now, if the leader is wearing a wearing a skirt or dress, everybody would likely just think, "Oh, cool!" :D

[First part is true; please don't take the last part seriously. I just couldn't resist....]

8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

What struck me in particular was the use of the word "authentic."

But then again, I'm the guy who sought out the 1955 Arthur Murray Medal Ball to see what dancers looked like in the 50s (another sample) (the women wore dresses and they were doing WCS.) I'd say dancers in the 50s were "authentic," but then maybe there's an expiration date on authenticity?

But, I see in a search, that "authentic West Coast Swing" is used to differentiate from "Ballroom West Coast Swing," or maybe... the kind of WCS that WE teach?

I often reflect on the different thinking about WCS and Los Angeles, and Argentine Tango and Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires is a sort of mecca for AT. Los Angeles isn't for WCS. Or is it, and I just don't realize it?

(WCS was in the Bay Area and Portland in the early/mid fifties, so...)

9. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Yes, in particular, it's used to differentiate it from ballroom WCS, which is quite a mixed bag. Some of it simply looks like a difference dance, some is "authentic". My only real objection to ballroom WCS is if you want me to do it, plus I think it's best to inform students of the difference so that they are not stunned if they go to a WCS event. It would be like teaching somebody American Smooth Tango or Standard Tango and letting them think they could go to an Argentine Tango event and fit right in as an advanced dancer.

At the ballroom studio I dance at, they teach sort of a hybrid version. Pro (who is also the studio owner) leads an excellent authentic WCS, but his point is that the ballroom version is easier for beginning dancers. When he teacher a class, he acknowledges the differences at the beginning. Most of the leaders can cope just fine with me doing my version while they do their's. I am simply NOT going to make a practice of stepping forward on what we think should be an anchor step. o_O

10. ralf

ralf Active Member

I've only ever seen a handful of women in dresses/skirts at WCS dances or events, and all but one of them were newbs (the exception was a showcase or rising star routine at Swing Fling several years ago where the woman wore a microskirt).