Swing Discussion Boards > Swing Dance Movies?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by pygmalion, Feb 28, 2006.

1. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

Actually Faynard Nicholas just passed away earlier this year - I'm yet to see one of their movies, but I hear they're just phenomenal. I can't wait to see Stormy Weather!

2. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Since you're the one who contributed it, could you give us a clue what to play it on? I tried playing it on Media Player, but I only got sound and no picture (visual is completely black -- no pun intended).

BTW, in that clip are they dancing the Big Apple? Sounded like they were.

3. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Fayard passed away last month, he had been sick for a while and there was a lot of community support to help pay medical bills.

Google videos with a search on the Nicholas brothers turns up a 2 min clip of Cab singing and then the brother's starting in on the Stormy Weather dancing, it's only about 45 seconds of them dancing and they start by dancing on the little booth/music stands in front of the musicians and leaping over the musicians in the process.

I believe there's a french site that has a clip of them as children trying to show one another up. There's a female singer and theme is about blackbird pie, the band actually performing in a large pie which is missing the upper crust.

4. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

OK, mystery solved. It's DivX-encoded. RealPlayer can't handle it either, so I had to pull out my old laptop which has the DivX Player installed (must have been running a bit slow, because it seemed to be skipping some frames). Now I seem to recall that natch-dot-net had them DivX-encoded so that you needed that player to see them. But then Media Player finally caught up and that was no longer a problem. Except now this one is. Arghh!

And, no, it wasn't the Big Apple. The Big Apple was a call-dance, so the different steps in it would be something that you could use elsewhere as well. Today's standard Big Apple is taken from the one choreographed for the movie, "Keep Punchin", which that French site has posted (I forget the URL, but you could Google for it). That one step where everybody was clapping rhythmically and in unison is what I heard and recognized from the Big Apple; since the crowd clapping isn't shown, I don't know whether they were doing the step.

Lionel Hampton. Flying Home. Wow.

PS
    I forgot to explain. natch-dot-net was the site that had posted lots of video clips from movies, TV, and private video taken at events. But then they had to take it all down when they received a threatening letter from a lawyer. It appears that poy.no has reposted that collection expressly for educational purposes - I think I saw mention of the natch-dot-net collection somewhere on the poy.no site.

Also, my final line was from the MC at a live performance by Lionel Hampton; recording is on a "best of big band" CD I have. An extended non-standard version with a lot of improvising.

5. luh

luh Active Member

did anyone see that there is even a swing dance scene in mona lisa smile? (even though i'm not sure if it fits the time really)
    luh

6. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

It did fit the time, even by the late 1950s swing was going strong. It was more of the 6 count variety than pure lindy, but it was definitly a big part of the youth culture.

My grandparents were in their teens and early 20s in the '50s. Having grown up with swing all around them, they decided to start taking dance classes after my mother was born in 57. Having seen all their friends and people dancing swing my grandfather decided he really wanted to learn how to do that. They ended up learning a number of other dances as well and still go out, but swing is what got them started back then.

Nathalie and Yuval are in the school dance scene where the swing takes place in Mona Lisa smile.

BTW anyone with kids who watched Polar Express, the elves dance quite a bit of swing. They used motion capture and digitalized a few pro swing couples after filming them dance while wearing the MC stickers and wires. Nathalie and Yuval, Jordan and Tatiana, and Kevin and Carla were all used and multiplied for the dance scenes.

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Agreed and agreed, lfnyc.

My parents did swing dancing in the forties, but then my older siblings did swing-derived dances (not Lindy, no, but descendants of it ) when they came along in the sixties. Never saw Mona Lisa Smile, so I'll have to check that out. I did see Polar Express, though. I remember dancing, but it didn't make too much of an impression. (The animation gave me the creeps. :lol: )

I'll have to rent both and check out the dance scenes. :)

8. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

There is so much dancing in that scene in Polar Express that it's hard to really get a good impression of the dance...it's overwhelming. There is an elf couple on a roof as the camera zooms out, he's spinning her around helicopter style at waist level....very much a Kevin & Carla signature move.

There's a lot of action (drama drama) going on in Mona Lisa, so unless you're actively looking for dancing the average viewer is going to miss it, although it does set an accurate tone for the time and event.

9. luh

luh Active Member

my grandparents did not dance swing. (both not) For the one it was forbidden (germany) and other ones(USA) - i guess weren't interested. Though my grandma had a lot of benny goodman lps (that she gave away :sad:)
    luh

10. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

In re Polar Express (not seen, no interest), they had filmed some of the leading Lindy couples for that scene. In another forum, a friend of one couple told of how he had hurt his back during one aerial, because the animation technology required it be higher and tighter than they normally do it. Also in that scene were Natalie Gomes and Yuval Hod of Hop, Swing and a Jump in New York. They're famous for the "death dive" in which he launches her several feet straight up and she comes down head-first into a waterfall (that's the move where she slides down his back and then he pulls her up from between his legs) -- maybe that's the move they did for the movie, because I remember somebody mentioning an elf being airborne in that scene.

One of my dance partners on the cruise was from Philly and she said that she used to dance on American Bandstand while it was still being produced there. This group was mainly West Coast Swing and country (so as we explained what we were about to outsiders on the cruise -- often asked because of our "dance cruise" t-shirts -- I'd add in that I was the black sheep because I also did Lindy), but in our last group party on the ship, the two of us did a spirited East Coast that everybody applauded. Though I noticed that she wasn't familiar with swingouts nor with Charleston, so I assume that those had worked their way out of the dance by the time she had come along.

11. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

WCS started being developed in the 60s. Studios had also changed lindy to the 6 count ECS and it was becoming much more common than 8 count during the 50s.

12. luh

luh Active Member

the biggest nonsense ever - i was shocked. It was on thursday. Someone wanted to tell me that WCS was first - ECS second, and lindy developed out of it. It was a teacher which is a really nice fellow - but i had to tell him what was going on. Kind of shocking..
    luh

13. uncle joe

uncle joe New Member

Don't Knock The Rock

Swing Scenes from 'Don't Knock' the Rock can be seen on my website
    In Bill Haley's, 'Rip it Up' I throw my partner over my head but she lands safely on her feet.

14. luh

luh Active Member

welcome on df.

what's your website?
    luh

15. luh

luh Active Member

getting "killer diller." there is a swing dance scene in afair. I think I've even seen the scene already- but i want to see the whole movie (as with hellzapoppin - was a good idea) I hope i'll have it in a week or two.
    luh