Swing Discussion Boards > Swing in Eastern Pennsylvania - Where?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by luh, Mar 22, 2005.

1. luh

luh Active Member

Hi
    I'm searching for a swing event on the evening of the 30th March in the Area of Nazareth, Allentown, Easten, Pennsylvania.
    Does anyone know about some event on that evening?
    Would be very cool!
    luh
    p.s. the 30th is my birthday and I'm over there at that time - would be fun to go dance...

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. I think there's an Allentown-based swing society ... I think I saw a website. Haven't lived there in ten years, so I haven't a clue what's up in the Lehigh Valley. But maybe their website can help, or at least give you contact info. Be right back. :car:

3. foursquare

foursquare New Member

Hi!

Let me do some looking here for you. I'm just outside Harrisburg, but I get newsletters for dancing that cover a pretty broad area. I can give you some local stuff around here, but you'd have to drive a bit. Let me open up the other computer and root through my email and see if I can find something for you.

In the meantime, there is a website specifically for Central PA swing dancing called www.cpaswing.com. You might want to go ask over there... lots of knowledgable PA-centric dance people.

You might also want to check Yehoodi... if I have my geography correct, you're not too awfully far from NYC. Might be a fun night to have in the city.

foursquare

4. pygmalion

5. pygmalion

It might be worth the drive to NYC. About 1.5 - 2 hours, depending on whether you're in Allentown or Nazareth.

6. pygmalion

I couldn't get the Central PA link to work, foursquare. :? Hmm. In case you can't get them and you don't want to drive, the Allentown folks might be able to help. They have a current calendar and workshops scheduled March through May. So at least we know they're active, for what that's worth. :wink:

7. foursquare

foursquare New Member

Pf. Drive with me and we'll be there in under an hour. :)
    (88 miles at 88 mph = fun in the city in one hour!)

8. pygmalion

It's the bridges getting in that'll kill ya! :lol: :lol:

9. foursquare

foursquare New Member

Well crap. I just went there... maybe I didn't put in in correctly.

www.cpaswing.com

Maybe it was the period at the end. Try it again, Pyg.

10. pygmalion

Cool. I got it. 8) Yep. I'd definitely post over there, just to see what's up. :D

11. foursquare

foursquare New Member

A quick glance at the calendar tells me that March 30 is a Wednesday. Tough night, at least around here. I can't think of a single regular event that runs on Wednesdays.

I'm plowing through newsletters now... I'll be right back.

12. pygmalion

According to the Philly and Allentown swing pages, there's a Wednesday night dance at the North Penn Elk's Club. I found their website, but couldn't get the info to download, to find the location. I'll keep trying. 8)

13. pygmalion

Hmm. Nothing on the Yehoodi calendar for Wednesday, March 30. I bet there is something going on, though. It's New York, after all.

When I used to live up there, if I didn't want to drive, I'd take the bus into the city. It was inexpensive -- like $12 or $15 -- and you didn't have to worry about parking and other hassles. 8)

14. pygmalion

Okay. Here's the Elk's Club info:

Not sure where Colmar is... 309 runs from Philly to way North of Allentown, IIRC. Mapquest. Be right back. 8)

15. luh

luh Active Member

thanks so far you two!

I'm not sure completely if that's going to work, but the pyg is right about the swing evenings at wednesdays.
    So that sounds good.
    Maybe there is something closer to nazareth.
    Btw, I don't think i could go to NY. I considered it, since a friend of mine lives there, but my parents didn't sound to happy about that idea. (i still don't have my driving licence which makes it a little more complicate. In addition the people coming with me probably don't want to stay up too late. And since we can't drive 88 mph in America legally around there, and i don't want my brother to come home at 2 am (he has to leave the next morning at 6 am), I'm looking for something which is close.

@ allentown event
    do you have any clue how i could figure out where that is (the club - I'm hopefully finding to allentown :))?

16. luh

luh Active Member

how long does it take with the bus? just curious..
    luh

17. pygmalion

From the mapquest directions, the Wednesday night dance in Colmar is south of Allentown, on 309 (a major thoroughfare) but pretty far south. Maybe a little more than halfway to Philly. Kinda far, if you don't have a license and are depending on someone else to drive you.

Allentown is your best bet from Nazareth, IMO. I can actually visualize the firehall where the dance will be held. I used to drive past there quite frequently -- I lived a few blocks away. I hesitate to gie you precise directions, sice it's been a while and my memory's fuzzy. I could drive it, but I'd better not tell you how. :oops: :lol: The Allentown Swing Society page has directions that seem pretty straight-forward (and correct, IIRC.) A pretty straight shot for anybody familiar with the area. And not too long a drive from where you'll be staying. 8) :D

18. pygmalion

Same as driving -- about an hour and a half to two hours, if you take the express straight from the Allentown terminal to the Port Authority. Try to avoid the local. That's pretty quick too, but the express is a lot less annoying.

19. luh

luh Active Member

thx
    may i ask where you got the information from, so i can check it out if i can't keep it in mind?

another question which just popped into my mind.
    since now i always thought wcs and lindy hop are the same. but it seems it isn't. what is the difference? Can i assume that they mean ECS with jitterbug, or is jitterbug something else?
    luh

20. pygmalion

http://www.phileswingdance.com/local_links.php

Here's one of the links I looked at today. I'm pretty sure this is the one with all the addresses and such. The New Jersey dances are all South Jersey -- too far. I checked. :(

And about the WCS/jitterbug/ECS question -- that's way out of my league to answer. You'd probably be better off starting a new thread so you can get good info. :lol: