Swing Discussion Boards > Swing in Eastern Pennsylvania - Where?

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by luh, Mar 22, 2005.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and the Philly dances are in my old stomping grounds (before I moved to Allentown) Umm... they're pretty far to drive. About seventy-five or eighty miles from Nazareth to University City, where the U of P Dance is, or Overbrook Park, where the West Philly Swing Dance is.

2. luh

luh Active Member

you're too fast for me ;)
    i haven't read your post asking the same question just right afterwards.
    sry about those things ...
    luh

3. luh

luh Active Member

i heard there is some city ending on burgh close to it. It would be New Yersey though.
    any clue what that city could be, and if, - swing events there?
    i looked again at new york, just because it's so fascinating for me (sure enough if you live in germany - new york sounds fun ;))
    but i couldn't find anything scheduled for that day either. strange..
    well we had some new yorkers here few weeks ago. Nathalie and Yuval. fun guys!
    luh

4. pygmalion

Hmm. Keep bumping into brick walls with the Jersey Swing links. Not sure why ... :? It's not far to get from where you'll be over the bridge into New Jersey. The trick is getting from the state line to wherever the dance is. :? Oh yeah, and actually finding a dance. :lol: :lol:

5. luh

luh Active Member

yeah- finding a dance would be helpfull for dancing :lol:

6. pygmalion

LOL. After all this intense googling, I hope you actually do make it to a dance somewhere. :roll: :lol:

7. luh

luh Active Member

i hope so too!
    wish me luck that someone who can drive is going to say "OH yeah - lets go dancing, sure i'm going to drive!", otherwise it could be a little problematic.
    thx again for all information!
    luh

8. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

IF you decide to come into NYC on the 30th.....your only swing option is WCS. Since I believe you do more ECS, the weekly Lindy dance would be more to your liking, but that dance is on Thursdays. NYC is limited in its dancing due to laws regulating licensing on dancing, as a result we don't have many places we are able to dance. There are a few Monday night locations with swing as well, they tend to be less well attended and probably offer more variety between ECS and Lindy.

As for the difference between WCS/Lindy and the difference with ECS/jitterbug....there are a lot of schools of thought and explinations, would definitly be better in another thread and there are already some that touch on it. While the dances have many similarities, there are many differences as well. There also tends to be a difference in atmosphere at WCS vs Lindy events. I am not the person to articulate why/how, Dnice is your best bet on getting answers for that on DF.

The Wed. night WCS crowd in NYC tends to be older, the dancing is smooth and the music is a lot of blues and pop. The Lindy night on Thursdays is more traditional jazz, younger crowd and a little more energetic crowd.

9. pygmalion

Hmm. I'd forgotten about the NYC blue laws somebody mentioned in a thread long ago. Weird. In a city where you can do pretty much whatever, whenever, you can't dance? Que?

10. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

The lovely cabaret laws of New York...............I could start a new thread, but with so many non New Yorkers it would be silly.

The laws started in the 1920s during prohibition...dancing and drinking went hand in hand. When drinking was made legal again, the cabaret laws were never changed. The assumption has been that it prevents lewd back rooms with lap dances and controls noise and crowd levels. (It's much more complicated than this, but I don't understand it fully)

The law enveloped live bands as well. There is talk that it was a race discrimination thing to prevent the black jazz musicians from working. That portion of the law has been changed, but the dance portion has not. The reason for this is that jazz and live music is concidered a protected art form important to American roots. Dance meanwhile doesn't get that benefit even though many people do feel it's an art form of expression and goes back to our heritage...especially swing.

There have been legal battles in the past and another case being built to change things. As it stands, bars that want to allow dancing (in any form, bobbing your head at your table included) need a licence. Licenses are very costy and often not worth it for the bar. Bar owners/managers tend to turn a blind eye at minor bits of dancing, but obvious grinding, hip hop, partner dancing does on occasion get asked to stop, not by other patrons, but by owners fearful of a fine.

We have few venues in which to dance, many partner dances are held in dance studios as a result, but the bar atmosphere is lost and no drinks are served....water often included. There clubs, but they aren't often very accommodating to partner dance. That said, there are many dancers in New York and despite the difficulties we do manage to find places and arrange dances. The whole thing is a shame, but changing old laws is not often easy.

11. luh

luh Active Member

Even though i just read the answer you gave Pyg i think it's weird, but there are a lot of weird laws in the usa in my opinion, but that's another thread too.

I don't care what kind of swing i can dance actually, maybe except balboa, but that's just because i have no clue how to dance it.
    The more trivial thing which makes it tough to come to NYC is that i just phoned my brother and he told me that he doesn't have to get up at 6am as i thought, but at 5am. and 2 hours of driving...

I haven't danced a lot of ecs the last 2 months since I'm back, but i don't miss it a lot. I somehow get more moves in lindy which is fun too. (not better)
    The others coming with me are probably better of with ecs. never danced before swing. and it's just way easier to learn, (to lead especially)

i saw some differences on wikipedia now. interesting, but it seems, if i know one, i should know the other one two. (maybe it's not completely correct dancing than, but works out somehow)

it would've been fun though to meet someone from the forum..
    For me it's time for bed now (germany) - I'm gonna check in tomorrow again.
    luh

12. pygmalion

LOL. Pennsylvania has some weird blue laws, too. Throwbacks to the Prohibition and way before that. PA was settled by some very strict religious groups centuries ago, and many of the laws are only beginning to disappear. Others, I think, may stick around forever. :lol: Don't ask.

At any rate, just wanted to say that, if you decide to take the bus into NYC, the Bethlehem, PA terminal will probably be closest to you. The terminal in Allentown is in the middle of downtown and it's kind of a pain to get to. IIRC, the express bus picks up passengers in Allentown then Bethlehem before heading for the city.

Have fun! 8)

13. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

i just saw the post ,if you can get to colmar(about 40 min from allentown) wed nights is a west coast swing/calf mix night,there are some good dancers that go there and the dj dave kim is a good dj,i taught a salsa class there a couple of years ago-once in a while i pop in,good place too go.allentown has swing dance on tue nights,im sorry i've been there and know the dj and the guy who puts it on but i dont know the web site or adress,i know its off susquehanna near the 7-11 but thats no help for u, the adress u gave pygmailon to colmar is correct. thats all i know of out there except for country.

14. pygmalion

Yep. Between Allentown and Philly on 309 are a couple towns and a lot of waste land. :wink: :lol:

15. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

have fun luh, sorry but the best places too go are closer to philadelphia and south jersey,except colmar :) ,but if anything allentown on tue night might be ok for you.i hope u can get someone to drive u to philly to see the city, its not ny but its pretty cool.

16. pygmalion

Yup. I saw some dance or the other down by South Street way, I think. Not the right timeframe, I don't think. It's a pity,because that would be fun, even if the dance is lame. South Street is always ... educational. :roll: :lol:

17. luh

luh Active Member

i hope I'm going to have fun. :) And I'm pretty sure I will.
    tue nights are not as practical. (on the first one, we're going to celebrate my grandmas bday, and on the second one I'm flying back to germany)
    Just curious, if you're living there - are you going to come to that dance? would be fun ;)
    luh

18. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

lol thats true pygmalion :lol:

19. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

hey luh,what dance at what date are u going to?

20. pygmalion

Sounds like Wednesday in Colmar is probably your best bet. If you can get somebody to drive, it's pretty easy to not get lost. Down 33 (I think? -- I'll check) to 78 West, to 309 south. Straight shot to Colmar. Of course, you can get detailed directions from mapquest.

Is Friday or Saturday night a possibility? I could've sworn I saw a Friday night dance or two mentioned, somewhere.