Swing Discussion Boards > swing lessons online

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by kasiku, Aug 15, 2012.

1. kasiku

kasiku New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some online swing/lindy hop lessons. I love the dance and I want to make it the first dance on my wedding (which is in less than two months so I'm seriously panicking). The problem is that I can't find any good instructions online - it's either for absolute beginners or advanced dancers and nothing in between. I'd love to go to normal classes, but there's nothing like that in my country.. Can you recommend some good sites? I've searched youtube and I couldn't find anything good..

I want to dance to 'Sing sing sing' by Benny Goodman (maybe not the best choice for begginers, but I'm sure we will manage with some good lessons ;)) I found videos with basic steps, but I really need something that would show some routine or more steps that I could learn (and then teach my very-soon-to-be husband).

Thank you!

2. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

Check out how2dance.org
    What country are you in? Honestly, to be able to dance decently to Sing, Sing, Sing in two months you would be much better off with a teacher who can choreograph a routine for you. (And I suspect there probably are teachers in your country, and if we know which we may be able to help you find them.)

3. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2017
  4. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Agreed, and I am wondering, Kasiku, are you saying that you also would have to teach your fiance how to dance? How much dance experience do either of you have?

It sounds like a big job in only two months for a beginner dancer to choreograph a dance, learn it, teach it to someone else, and then rehearse to be able to perform the dance to a very fast song.

For reference, I was just in a swing dance performance at my dance studio. I would describe our three-minute routine as beginner/intermediate level. Here is the amount of work we did:
    1. A one-hour group class every week for nearly six months - total 24 hours of lessons with a professional teacher
    2. About two hours of practice each week, outside of class - total 48 hours

So we learned and practiced for a total of about 72 hours. If you wanted to put in that amount of time in only two months (9 weeks), that's 8 hours per week.

I think your goal is possible, but would be a lot easier if you were able to find a local dance teacher to help you.

5. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Think that should be how2dance.com , which is indeed a very good site!
    What is your level of experience in partner dance. That goes for both of you.
    What dances do you do? Somethings can carry over.
    Also I think I've seen a site (s?) with routines for swing. Sign , I'll look