Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > SYTYCD Season 6 - Week 5 of comps

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by RickRS, Nov 25, 2009.

1. RickRS

RickRS Member

Last night was an exciting night for dance; two hours for DwtS's finale, with Donny's crowning at the end, and two hours for the best dance show on tv ;)

Great night for SYTYCD, as they kicked it up to two performances for each couples! Lots of great dances, but the stand out dance of the night for me was Karen's and Victor's Tango. It was sweet! It look sharp and crisp, and sensual, all at the same time.

Hope the Lindy hoppers like Ryan's and Ellenore's performance that started the night. While I haven't dance Lindy, the performance looked authentic Lindy, and I thought it was good. The judges were happy with the results, so it likely Lindy will get more airtime in the future.

The Can-Can? Whoa, wasn't expecting that! Nathan has some pivots that really showcased his technical ability. While fine, it's not a dance I would expect SYTYCD would make a regular feature in their rotation.

Russell and Noelle got another ballroom dance this week, samba. While not the best samba, it was a good effort from the two, especially given Russell's lack of partner dance background.

Legacy and Kathryn had a great jazz number from Sonya that had some hip-hop mixed in to take advantage of Legacy's prowess. Legacy did well with the waltz, showing again that this show can bring out things these dancers didn't know they had in them.

While Russell and Legacy coped with the foreign (to them) world of ballroom, Ashleigh was as happy as a pig in slop getting to go with cha-cha. Luckily, Jakob was up to the task, and they turned in a great performance.

But somebody (two somebodies, actually) gets cut. This week, hard to say who it will be, and whoever it is, they will have just missed getting to the Top Ten, and the chance to continue with the national tour.

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thanks for the recap, ricky! forgot to watch again...

3. marianya

marianya New Member

Actually with the tours lately, those that were just cut from the top ten... their chances are high that they would be part of the tour and group routines... they just won't be featured like the other dancers.

I know with the Season Two tour, Jessica and Jaymz were part of the tour, though they didn't get Top Ten. But they were more understudies than anything if any of the Top Ten dancers were injured.

This past tour (and the two prior to it) the two that just missed Top Ten ended up being on the tour (Caitlin and Phillip for Season 5, Comfort was billed for Season 4, Anya and Hok for Season 3), to the point that not only did they do the group routines, but featured in a dance or two as well as being understudies for those that end up being injured on tour.

4. Beto

Beto Active Member

Very true. There always seem to be at least 2-4 understudies or backup dancers from the Top 20 who get to join the Top 10 on their multi-city tour.

Don't know if you saw him in your city but Jesus was added as well as Sara, Hok and Anya for the 2007 tour. Jesus and Sara got to perform that fun Wade Robson routine to that song from The Triplets of Belleville. Plus it was a treat to see Hok, Dominic and Sara do their hip hop routine that was created for the tour.

Got to meet Phillip and Caitlin at this year's tour after the show and was really glad that they got to perform.

5. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

not happy with tonight's cuts.

6. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

7. BrownSkin818

BrownSkin818 New Member

happy with the girls cut. she should have been gone 2 weeks ago with her weak solos, but i think the judges saved her so she could be an alternate on the tour.

unhappy with the guys cut. very odd to compliment his growth, then give him the axe. and i didnt expect the judges to be split between the two in question.

8. I am also very disappointed with the cuts, especially about the loss of Karen. If it had been up to me, it would have been Mollie and Nathan. I just find them boring.

9. marianya

marianya New Member

Nathan I think needs to be knocked down a few pegs and Mollee to an extent. But I tend to chalk that up to youthful inexperience... you know that age around high school when they think they are on top of the world and nothing's wrong?

Yeah... I agree w/ Nigel that they need to grow up and mature... but in a totally different sense.

Karen I'm split about, she's able to do well with every dance that she's done... but I feel like she's a one-shot personality... if it's sexual/sensual then she sells the performance well, but if it's not (aka Broadway) she has a flat face and loses that dimension... (I think Mollee has that same problem).

Ah well... I think karen's going to be in the tour as an understudy... but we'll see.

10. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

I definitely would have rather seen Mollee go. She hasn't impressed me in anything yet, while Karen has had a couple of strong numbers. Sure her solos are awful, but that's not the main part of the show. I was torn between Nathan and Viktor. I still think Nathan could be good with a better partner, but Victor(don't remember which sp is correct) has been improving and his Tango this week was reeeealy good for a contemp dancer doing ballroom. I also blame the choreo completely for Laurie Ann's crap "hip hop". Why do they keep bringing her back to stink up my TV? At least now that they can't stop it anymore, Mollee should get booted pretty quick. Call her a fan favorite all you want, she went bottom 3 two weeks in a row. And maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but when they called the 3 girls forward right before the elimination, there were screams from the audience for Karen and Elenore, but I don't remember any for Mollee.

11. I so agree with you! The judges critizised that the choreo and the song did not go well together, if I remember correctly, and Victor and Karen had to pay the price for that. Their dancing might not have been perfect and always in synch, however, a better choreography might have saved them.

I do not really care for the solos and I am glad that the judges do not base their decision on the solos alone.

I will miss Karen's performances.