Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > SYTYCD Season 6 - Week 8, The Finale

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by RickRS, Dec 15, 2009.

1. RickRS

RickRS Member

Reminder that tonight the Final Six dance for the final vote. It's only an hour show, starting at 8:00 Eastern, so don't miss it.

Wednesday's program is a two hour show. All the Top Twenty will be performing. Musical guests I've heard so far are Adam Lambert and Leona Lewis. Dance guest is a hip-hop company, The Groovaloos.

2. Well, what do you guys think? Here is my take...

I loved all the routines except Ryan's and Ellenore's jazz routine. I am just not into these emotionless techno and alien type routines.

The best routine for me was Catherine's and Jacob's contemporary piece! Not only did I love their dancing, I also loved the Michael Bublé song.

Ryan and Catherine: Samba
    I really liked that routine, as I love all couple dances! Loved that song also, a real samba!

Jacob and Ellenore: Broadway
    I thought Jacob did great! I think he is a phantastic dancer! Ellenore was ok for me but I thought Jacob was better.

Russel and Ashley: Jazz
    Russel was great, his performance was so emotional and he has that great stage presence. Ashley was blaahh...

Ryan and Ellenore: Contemporary
    See above, my least favorite routine. This is not their fault, they danced it well but I did neither care for the music nor for the choreography.

Jacob and Ashley: Foxtrott
    I enjoyed it. Loved Ashley's dress!

Russel and Ellenore: Paso Doble
    The beginning was very dramatic! Loved it! I am not in the position to judge their technique and leave that to others...

Jacob and Catherine: Contemporary (Michael Bublé song)
    See above, the best routine of the night for me!

Ryan and Ashley: Jazz
    I loved that routine! It was so light and so romantic and emotional! Made me a little teary eyed.

Russel and Catherin: Hip hop
    Another great routine!

Now, who do I think will be the winner? I don't know but for me it is between Jacob, Catherine and Russel. Ashley takes last place for me.

My ranking of the guys:
    1. Jacob
    2. Russel
    3. Ryan

My ranking of the girls:
    1. Catherine
    2. Ellenore
    3. Ashley

3. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

See? You *can* put 9 dance routines in a 1-hour show.

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

*grin*. yah, that sure was efficient scheduling.

wow, so much to appreciate in tonight's performances. really enjoyed them.

does anyone remember russell's voting #? 888-83676-0...???

5. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Samina, it's 6.

6. chachachacat

Wowwowowow. What an amazing night of dancing!

I cried all through Ashley & Ryan's routine, but I had been brought to the point of tears by the previous routine.

7. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

Hmm, coincidence? I think not. ;)

Agree with most everything said.

Just a quick comment on the ballroom dances. The samba and paso were better than I had expected. There is something Gilkison does to his dancers. His routines are good, but whatever he does to coach the couples, just seems to make them look better. I'm becoming a fan.

Did not enjoy the foxtrot choreography. Past the half-way point of the song, my wife asks, when are they going to start dancing foxtrot? The dancers did what they were asked to though, so can't really blame them.

8. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Kathryn and Jakob were mesmerizing! I also love Ellenore and Russell but they are #3-4 for me... Ryan and Ashleigh should have been gone awhile ago, IMO. They routine was VERY easy and was choreographed that way on purpose, to merely elicit the emotion of a married couple dancing together, blah, blah, blah; there was really nothing challenging about it. Even the lifts were easy. I think Ashleigh has coasted through the competition on the strength of her partners and while she undoubtedly improved, it would be hard for anyone as inferior (in the top 20) as she not to.

Anyway, I think it's clear that Jakob and Kathryn should be in the top 2, with Jakob winning... Russell is my sentimental favorite, mostly because of the joy he expresses when he dances and his tremendous ability to take on whatever is thrown at him and do it VERY well, in spite of lacking training, unlike the others who do have lots of training. Ellenore is my quirky favorite because she is so unique and so good at the same time. Those four dancers are all great in their own right and I wouldn't be upset if any of them won.

9. Nybz

Nybz New Member

I just caught up on the episode. I would have to say my favorite dances were
    Jacob and Catherine: This was an amazing dance technically, the song was great, and I love those two and how they portray the dance
    Russell and Ashleigh: I d not know if it was Jewel singing or the dance itself but this was such an ethereal piece.
    Ashleigh and Ryan: Meh, I'm a romantic, and this dance appealed to me so much. It was nice to see the emotional side of them-together. I saw no problem with their choreography being simpler, to me this piece was about their connection and that came across very well.

hehe I was thinking the same exact thing as your wife. I was really hoping to see them do some closed hold, and they came so close at times, and then just broke hold again.

10. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

Jacob. He is wicked.

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

True, but to me he always looks like "Jacob doing a really good job with..." whereas, at least for me, Russell seems to better embody the different styles he's given.

Like others, I'd agree that Catherine is the top woman. That said, I still don't have a feel for her personality the way I do for the other finalists, and that bugs me.

Personally I'm always most interested in the emotional connection, so loved Travis Wall's piece for Ryan and Ashleigh, but agree that they're the weakest of the finalists.

12. Yeah, Russel won!!! Congratulations to him!!! I am very happy for him!

13. Nybz

Nybz New Member

Congrats indeed, he deserved it, in fact they all deserved to be up in the top six. Its a shame he hurt himself though, would have loved to see him perform the pieces they wanted live again.

14. chachachacat

YAY RUSSELL!

I am so glad he won!

15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Very happy for Russell but feel bad for Jacob none the less. All things said, however, I'm pleasantly surprised (or shocked, really), as I think the results from 1-6 tonight were absolutely right on target.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

my sentiments exactly. :)

very enjoyable finale! *sigh of satisfaction*

17. Nybz

Nybz New Member

What to watch now though :-/

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

don't watch... *live*. ;)

19. Nybz

Nybz New Member

Good advice :notworth:

SYTYCD season 7 here I come! :rolleyes: not really, not yet.

20. I totally agree!