Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > SYTYCD week 4 of comp

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by wooh, Nov 17, 2009.

1. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Not a lot that really made me actually watch.

Enjoyed the married guy's number. Hated the blackbird thing (the song was horrid, the prop was annoying, the costumes were a bit much.) Karen and her partner's broadway was atrocious.

Stupidest thing Nygel has EVER said on this show:
    (by memory, so not exact quote) Where else but in dancing are people going to be moaning at you and you'll be underpaid and overworked?

Ummmmmm, my job everyday I go to work? Anyone in healthcare? Anyone in retail or fast food for that matter? Most jobs?

2. Nybz

Nybz New Member

That was a good number

You have to see Bobby McFerrin doing that song. It may not be the best to dance to, but something about him singing that is just breathtaking
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37DHXrFfwrE

3. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Did not like that Paso. Was sure Mary would criticize it, but she did not. Technique was really "eh" -- more so whatshername than Legacy - at least he looked like he was *trying* to do it correctly. She looked very sloppy and uncontrolled.

4. BrownSkin818

BrownSkin818 New Member

I loved that blackbird piece! I also really liked Ellenore and Ryan's contemp. Everything else was a miss for me.

5. RickRS

RickRS Member

I found the blackbird piece interesting, as well. The thing I really love about SYTYCD is the way the more I watch, the more types of dance I begin to enjoy. It challenges me to see more in dance than I've seen before, to appreciate different types of dances that I didn't get before. Case in point; I didn't care that much about krump until I saw Russell's audition for this season. And then it was like, Wow! That was great! Sometimes it's the dancer, sometimes the choreographer, often both.

And what about Russell? Why did he get the Foxtrot again? Remember he danced that in week 1 of the top twenty and wound up in the bottom 4. This week he look so much better, with a really smooth quality to his dance. But why the repeat?

6. I enjoyed most the dances, as I always do.

I think my favorite dance was the Ryan and Ellenore piece. I also enjoyed Russel's foxtrott very much.

Too bad that Karen and Kevin did not perform their broadway number well, that might mean the end of them as they got the only bad review last night by the judges. I really like them, especially her!

The number I did not care for at all was the last one: Molly and Nathan. Didn't do anything for me. But if they survived with their really terrible salsa last week, they will probably also survive this week.

I second that. Because of SYTYCD I know so much more now about different styles of dance.

7. bia

bia Well-Known Member

salsera, I'm with you on pretty much all counts. For me, this was the best show of the season so for. The last routine was the only one I didn't enjoy, but it still wasn't a crash and burn. I think I mainly didn't care for the choreography on that one. I didn't see Russell's previous foxtrot, so I'll take everyone's word for it that he showed major improvement this time around. I was particularly impressed with Noelle in that dance -- she had good feet!!

8. chica latina

chica latina New Member

Karen may be in bottom 2 again,, I hope she does a great solo and gets another chance with a new partner.

I didnt like ryan this week, but dont think it's necessarily his fault.. I found him too much of a prop to help her partner dance and perform; but didnt get anything else out of him... she was amazing and probably part of it was due to his strenght/partner skills.

Ashley keeps surprising me!! Her partner was amazing, but I expect that. I also enjoyed the girl that did the Paso, I really liked her in this #.

NOt a big fan of the bird number (i'm afraid that they may be in bottom 2) or the last couple... but we all know they have a lot of fans...

9. BrownSkin818

BrownSkin818 New Member

Does that mean you think Russell is a hindrance for her?

10. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I wonder if she lacks the upper body strength to pull off the Paso Doble? Or maybe it was all the loose hair, the ruffles on the blouse and skirt and that coin belt. There were so many moving parts to her that it was hard to tell what was going on.

I found the Bobby McFerrin song soooo distracting. I thought the choreography was interesting however.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

whoops... forgot to watch :rolleyes:

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

enjoyed the snippets of dancing from last night. agree with the judges' decisions, but...it hurt to see channing go when it's obvious she's really beginning to evolve and shine.

karen... boy, i just so love her dancing... but she is so poised, restrained, and humble when she's not dancing. do you think the viewing audience will be able to connect with that? i'm rooting for her... hope she can loosen up and reveal more of her open-hearted self to the public when she's not dancing!

13. Nybz

Nybz New Member

At this point it hurts to see any of them go. I do think the audience is starting to warm up to Karen some more. Her with Victor will be quite interesting to watch though.

14. I am overjoyed that they kept Karen...and I hardly dared to hope...

Yes, it is hard to see anybody leave at this stage. I knew they would let Kevin go because the other two are better dancers. However, I regret to see him leave, I liked him very much. I would have rather seen Nathan leave. Kevin speakes much more to my heart than Nathan.

15. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I cringed each time the paso got to a closed hold. I had a hard time with the foxtrot too. Don't know what Mary's smoking this season. I'm finding Adam's insights the most educational this season.

I agree that the version of Blackbird was strong competition for the actual dancing. Stronger dancers could have made more of it though. I love that song.

16. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

I liked the Blackbird piece, and thought the Foxtrot should have been in the bottom 3 instead. I was glad to see Nathan and Mollee in the bottom 3. I thought there dance was pretty boring(of course, I haven't liked any of Laurieann Gibson's stuff much), but I thought their fanbase would keep them out again. Kevin was an easy choice for me, but I would have rather seen Mollee go. I love her personality, but she hasn't looked strong in anything yet.
    Did anyone feel like the opening was Wade channelling Mia? Or was it just the Imogen that made me think that?

17. BrownSkin818

BrownSkin818 New Member

Whoops, meant Kevin. And it looks like you (chica latina) got your wish.

18. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Over the years, this show has really brought home to me how hard it must be for non-ballroomers to dance in a closed hold. Whenever a couple without a ballroom member gets a ballroom dance, there's a distinct difference between the parts of the routine in and out of frame. In frame: steps, concentrating, trying so hard. Apart, or with a more open hold: visible relaxation, leading to some actual dancing! I particularly noticed the contrast in the foxtrot this week, even though I did like the performance.

19. chica latina

chica latina New Member

yes... i was very happy to know that they are giving Karen another chance w a new partner... also agreed w bottom performances... but disagree on that Mollee did a great solo ... For me was incoherent, empty and a little frantic. Prefered the solo of the girl that left (more dancing and musical).

20. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I wish they would just send Mollee and Nathan home instead of giving them more and more coaching on what they *should* be doing to make their supposed extremem talent come out, when they haven't really done anything great yet. If they haven't made their talent come out, then they should leave. It's been good to mediocre to quite bad with them, nothing great. Even the pop jazz routine I thought was frantic and not very difficult at all... Instead Channing has to leave when she just hit it out of the park with that bird number, which I thought was awesome! She was improving while Mollee/Nathan just get kudos for their supposed talent which they haven't yet shown...

I was afraid they'd send Karen home though because frankly her solos haven't been good at all but her other work has been QUITE good so I am glad they kept her because I think she can still grow on the show. I think Victor is a better partner for her than Kevin was. It would be harder for her to show up Victor who is a great technical dancer and it would push her more to try to:)

And yeah, I just LOVE Legacy and Russell!:) I thought they both did a respectable job with ballroom. And Eddie Simon's choreo for foxtrot was awesome; you can tell her knew what he was doing with smooth WAAY more than Tony/Melanie.

I think Elenore is slowly replacing Karen as my top girl. Something about her dancing is quite mesmerizing. How she's tall and elegant and yet also powerful and stong. Love the way she moves.

And last, but certainly not least, I loved Wade's opening number.