Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > SYTYCD

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Steve Pastor, Jun 18, 2014.

1. phazesix

phazesix New Member

Her name is Misty Copeland, she's a ballerina with ABT.
    She had alot of good advice & definitely didn't gush as much as the other 2.

leee likes this.
  2. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I'm late to the party on this one, but I think the biggest thing is that because rumba is sooooo slow compared to the other Latin dances, ALL the TECHNIQUE is laid bare before the audience, whereas a Samba or Cha Cha can be more easily faked to a non-ballroom eye. It's also darn hard to fake the elastic conection needed to pull off the rumba well.

And based on how glowing some of the cha cha commentary was, I have to wonder how eye-searing some of the non-ballroom genres look to average students in those styles.

leee likes this.
  3. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

SYTYCD Canada had a ballroom dancer runner up in 2009 and a winner for 2010 (Denys Drozdyuk). Mind you, Denys can do it all. Otherwise contemporary dancers seem to take it.

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Benji won

dancelvr likes this.
  5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

My gut tells me that the vast preponderance of this show's voters are mid-teen girls who will power the contemporary girls-next-door to the top, almost all other dancers fall to the wayside -- ESPECIALLY older women. Look at the bottom 3! The two oldest women in the competition are, after the first week of voting, in the bottom.

6. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

the "fluff" pieces and "eh" choreo can be deadly too

7. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

8. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Totally agreed. If I had seen that routine w/o being told what it was beforehand and had to guess, I would have never id'd it as WCS (even if I had been given 50 guesses).

Yes, this. I've been underwhelmed by many of the routines so far, and I think it's because there's been very little in the way of innovative movement or sequences that really pop and capture my attention. Perhaps I'm a cold-hearted b--, but the Sonia T. routine that made everyone so emotional last week, I was yawning and waiting for it to be done. A lot of this looks like teenagers improvising in their rooms. I was very disappointed in the hip hop routines (a number of moves were repeated in the second one), both in the choreo and how they were performed (too much stretched posture, not enough down and dirty funkiness).

This would explain a lot... because I've been wondering what is up with these juvenile 8-second interviews that seem like adolescents being annoyingly silly, what with all the giggling and "oh emm jee we only have like 8 seconds AAIEEEEEE!!!" I was thinking, why are these college-age, future serious professional dancers acting like middle schoolers. Now I understand.

9. nikkitta

Perhaps they're trying to allow us to see more of the dancers' "personality", but I'd rather they use that time showing rehearsal footage. You can see it just as well there.

leee likes this.
  10. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Benji is capable of so much better and has shown that on the show, so I want to blame the dancers (or at least Jessica's injury).

And while I like the second HH a lot (Teddy is really great in it), just about all of the routines, including Sonya's, didn't move. African Jazz and Argentine tango were my favorites of the night. So if you're cold-hearted, then I am too.

Those 8-second packages can be cute with the right people involved -- I think Jacque is adorable -- so I'm not too fussed with them having a spot of fun (though imagine someone in their late 20s playing that game... of course, not that it'll ever happen the way current trends go). I think the choreography is far worse because of how much it panders. IMO the best dancing on the show nowadays is done by the special guests!

And since we're a bunch of old farts on this thread, I figured I'd share this:
    [​IMG]

11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

So I'm not the only one who sees Bowie!
    Jessica hurt her left shoulder, and the woman usually uses her right arm for the connection. Maybe Benji could have been creative and left out the lifts and tricks shown us some good old fashioned WCS. (OK well, I spent some time looking at the Murray Medal ball stuff from 1954 this weekend.)

12. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Finally finished watching my DVR of last week's show....

I thought I had read a comment here about the Syncopated Ladies' formation looking like a bad dance recital number, but I don't see that comment here so maybe it was on Facebook. Anyways, I have to agree, that number just did not have any compelling choreography and they were not well synchronized as a group. They wouldn't have made it past the first round on ABDC, maybe not even made it onto the show with that level of performance.

Yes, this was clear (trying to show us their personality) and I have no objections to that, it's just that they were all acting very immature (probably coached to do so, in hindsight) which was a big turnoff for me.

13. nikkitta

True. I am glad that the dancers must be 18 to be on this show (I think?) It's amusing when Nigel compliments them on their "maturity" when dancing after those ridiculous goofy clips.

IndyLady likes this.
  14. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

Six people gone and four of them are ballroom dancers. Why don't they just have a contemporary dance competition since that's what people want to see?

Also, did anyone else notice that the Nina Simone "I Put a Spell on You" was in 12/8 shuffle time, and probably more appropriate for Viennese Waltz than Foxtrot. By the end, it clearly felt more like 3/4 time than 4/4, and I have no idea how I would fit the Foxtrot timing into that meter. Not that the choreographer gave them anything which had enough of a Foxtrot character to expose the problem.

15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Haven't watched this year... is Mary still really harsh on the ballroom dancers?

IndyLady likes this.
  16. nikkitta

Harsh on the dancERS or the dancES? Because tonight's Foxtrot was "eh", and the Salsa was mostly a trainwreck.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  17. kckc

kckc Active Member

amen to all of this, esp. the part about this being a contemporary dance competition. That foxtrot was...weird...it was supposed to be "smooth foxtrot" but the music, to me, felt like a slow foxtrot, but they were trying to do smooth foxtrot, and arrrgh! So much dissonance between the music and the dance. And, I love Dmitry, but really? They couldn't find anyone else to choreograph a smooth foxtrot? Also, all I could hear was samba in that salsa music. What is this, DWTS?

Having said all that, how about that Tanisha! She is a beast lately! Serge is coming on strong also, let's hope the tweeners let them stick around a few more weeks.

18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Dmitry's choreo has never been good sorry

get someone else

agree the salsa music was off and the dancing was even worse

19. kckc

kckc Active Member

Yes, that salsa was awkward to watch! I can't even remember who the guy is but he actually stumbled before she did. The whole thing was just bad.

I think I'm probably judging Dmitry by his work on DWTS where I think he was fine. I haven't ever put much time into SYTYCD until this season but even I knew enough to know that a smooth foxtrot wasn't going to be his strength, esp. in this format.

20. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I just got around to watching this WCS. There ARE at least a few anchor steps, sugar pushes, and left side passes in the routine, but they don't stand out because the dancers are not not anchoring well. One of the problems is that it includes moves that I recognize from Benji's J&J performances and/or routines, but the guy can't dance like Benji. Minus a good WCS base, all that is visible is the lifts, etc. Can't say whose fault it is, the choreographer or the dancer, but I agree with all of you that the result is not good.

Dancing Irishman likes this.