Ballroom Dance > Taiwanese Tango

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Aug 21, 2013.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I've recently seen Taiwanese Tango. As best as I can tell it incorporates steps from Standard Tango, but more resembles social American Tango, and maybe even has some Int Rumba steps at times. Anyone have any more background?

Here is a video I found of people dancing the Taiwanese Tango

2. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Really interesting! I'd never heard of it before. I like that some of the ladies are wearing traditional Chinese dresses - inspired by cheongsams I think?

I see a bit of foxtrot, too, with the grapevine-y moves.

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Yea, so far as I can tell there are several places on the West coast where it is done. That video seems to be in Vancouver. And I know of at least 3 studios in LA that play this at the parties. It is often a little slower than standard.

4. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I consider this dance to be American Tango that is danced to Chinese music. They like to do all the tricks, but not actually travel anywhere.

5. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Looks to me like a pretty even mix of rumba and various tango steps, with, as Gorme said, all the tricks and no travel.

6. docco

docco Member

It not American Tango or Int Tango. It is the social Tango in some countries in Asia such as China, Hongkong, Taiwan, Vietnam.....