Tango Argentino > Tango and Fashion

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by pygmalion, Jan 27, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Can you tell I've been googling tango? :lol: :lol:

Here's a question. Everywhere I've looked for rules of AT etiquette, I mean EVERYWHERE, there is at least one mention of tango fashions. Everyone says that one should "dress up." And there is website after website with "tango fashions." Beautiful dresses and shoes, and pretty unique styling, too.

What's the deal here? Ballroom dance is pretty elegent. But I've been to plenty of ballroom dances where people were weraing jeans with their dance shoes. So how come tango is the last holdout? Do people really still dress up for tango? Why? Is it cultural (i.e. Argentina), or just a convention? Will things relax over time?

Actually, this might be the dance for me. I love dressing up. :lol: 8)

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

At balls I get dressed up. Silk shirt so my partner has something nice to touch. (Some women wear beautiful outfits but the material is horrid to touch. Nothing like a backless dress.)

Milongas I go as the mood takes me. Sometimes casual sometimes smart.

Clean is a must. I know that some milonguero/as take a spare shirt/dress to change into halfway through the evening. Seems like a good idea in hot weather.:roll:

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes. Here are the dress/etiquette tips I found at tangoscene.com

This only makes sense to me. Tango is the closest embrace that I know of, so good hygiene and nice, dry clothes become even more important.

And what's the verdict on backless dresses? Yes or no?

4. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

It does seem to be the thing to do. I go to Buenos Aires about 3-4 times a year (its where my fiance is from) and during their summer when you have people dancing impromtu in the streets they seem to more dressed up than I would bother to be for that sort of event. Also the street perfomers, who try to promote their studio or event out in front of the shops near Lavalle and esmeralda street are always very dressed up.