Tango Argentino > Tango Fiesta

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Apr 10, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

I just stumbled across this fabulous CD, Tango Fiesta.

Only snippets of each track on the album are available, but it's enough to draw you in. The music is gorgeous, a fabulous, relatively modern fusion of all sorts of stuff, underpinned by the unmistakable, irrepressible tango beat.

It's a compilation by musicians from across the world, each of whom brings their own "flavour" to traditional tango.

There's a review here. The composer Gus Flaherty is a genius.

2. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

C'mon, folks...surely someone checked it out... :lol:

3. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Well, what a lovely way to begin my morning, MS. Thank you.

The guy does have a subtle ear for regional music, doesn't he? For the first and last, "Carino" and "Jamais Sans Vous," I'd almost do a bolero. The title of the last--with its formal "vous"--is almost achingly poignant.

"Moonlight Tango" deserves a whole big band behind it, and "Sempre Nel Mio Cuore" could benefit from a good Italian tenor. But yeah, great CD!

It's so nice to hear good tango music rather than cheesy potted tunes for ballroom practice. I think I mentioned a while ago that the first studio I danced at had a live band every Friday night. And these guys would play "Black Orpheus" as a tango, with the (bad rock and roll trained) drummer beating out a tango basic on the snares. Abomination before the Lord.

This CD was a nice to listen to this morning. But now I don't want to go teach.

Cheers,

Genesius

4. JonD

JonD New Member

That's great - a nice range of moods. I've emailed to see if it is being distributed in the UK. Thanks for telling us about it

Jon

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I gave it a listen as well (after I uninstalled a firewall program that was preventing me from getting viruses and doing anything fun. :x )

Very nice selection. Tastefully done. 8)

6. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Phew, was starting to feel unloved. :) Nah...seriously, it's a fabulously "different" compilation. I love modern takes on traditional music, beats and dances... the tango being probably the most recognisable.

7. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

:shock:

:kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :kissme: :friend:

8. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Jon did you find out if its available in the uk?

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It's probably worth a google search. Or is there a UK-based equivalent? I ran across an ebay-like UK site a while ago -- you know, online auctions, but I haven't seen many UK-based vendors pop up in froogle. Hmm.