Tango Argentino > Tango in a Safeway carpark

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Aug 21, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

There was a similar post in another thread some months back, but this is a bit different because tango music is so rare. It's not like they play it at parties where you often hear cha chas, salsas and merengues, right?

Anyway, was sitting and chatting with a ballroom friend the other night in my car on a rooftop and my CD changed to tango. His conversation went something like this, "oh, I love tango. This is a great song. Have been meaning to take it up again, but haven't had time. Haven't done it in ages. I wish I knew someone who tangoed."

Of course, little olde me couldn't contain herself and we danced on the rooftop carpark of Safeway. It was fantastic! It turns out there's nothing quite like dancing a little tango to the sound of trucks unloading vegetables in the wee hours.

Where's the most memorable place you've ever tangoed?

ocean-daughter likes this.
  2. Cats

Cats New Member

Nothing quite so exotic. For me, under the statue of Shakespeare in Central Park NY.

3. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a notice of a Tango event in Boston. I vaguely recall it being sponsored by the Tango Socety of Boston? I'll see if I can find this again, and I believe it mentioned something about being down by a river/bridge or something like that. I'll get back with folks on this asap.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

MadamSamba, you are one impetuous babe! Good for you. :D

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

oooH!! I do that too. I'm always doing it in weird places. A freind mentions dancing to a song and before she knows it we are out there providing entertainment for ourselves and anyone else who is around. They never learn a simple mention of dancing in passing is all that a dance fanatic ever needs! :wink: Doing it in the unusual places is the attraction, and the lovely ladies too. :) Somehow I forget about whether or not I feel the music then. :lol: Because as I didn't go with the intention of dancing? :? :)

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

...I'd go with "spontaneous"... :wink:

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Not exotic but at a friends house we had five couples dancing in a room 12' x 10' with furniture- milonga style of course!

8. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I'd love to dance in weird places -- how come I just don't seem to get any opportunity? :? :( People around me are just too normal...

9. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

The Tango Society of Boston is holding another full moon tango event on Monday, Aug 30th on the Weeks bridge in Cambridge, 8 to 11pm with a free mini lesson and demos. Rain date Aug 31st.

I'm going to ask a friend or a few to see if I can get some folks to enjoy an evening of tango on the bridge over the Charles River by moonlight!

10. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Ha, ha Jenn and SD!

Oh, I like your bridge suggestion, DancePoet...if only Melbourne (Australia, not Florida!) was a wee bit closer to Boston...it sounds very romantic, but BTM, yours would have been fun too...nice and intimate rather than being jostled by strangers!

Sagitta, you and I would get on fine, but heaven forbid we ever drive somewhere together with a dancing CD...we'd have to stop every track, get out of the car and dance, it sounds like!!! :)

Perhaps we could hire a big, open-spaced bus and do a roadtrip...there'd be a bunch of people and dancing music and we'd make our way across the state dancing!!! That's so dorky a suggestion, but kinda cool too!!! :)

Have any of you ever done one of those dance cruises, even on a river rather than the open sea? There's a salsa one every year here in Melbourne at Christmas. Can't wait for this years! I'm gonna salsa down the river...