Tango Argentino > Videos > Tango milonguero

Discussion in 'Videos' started by bordertangoman, Feb 18, 2009.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

2. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Hi BTM

Since I looked up that reference for you - to Tango Love and Chaos - I've been thinking also of diving more deeply into Milonguero style. Have been looking at the TLC videos and I feel there is a lot to ponder on. Maybe a new thread? What threads would you recommend to date for discussions on Milonguero?

3. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I started this last year. How about this one: Going back to basics, Milonguero style!

4. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Interesting thread. However I think it has focussed on just one of the features of milonguero style - the close embrace. Much more interesting to me is the whole issue of dancing to the cadence of the song (the "compas"). And what that means in terms of ones style of dance.

I've long had mixed feelings about milonguero. You watch the TLC videos and you are inclined to think it's "dancing for someone who's had a hip operation". Or more bluntly, dancing for the older people. But I'm now coming round to another way of thinking. Is it in fact the way to express the subtleties of the music? Is milonguero style the only way to go?

New thread or tack onto old thread? Cant make up my mind...

5. bordertangoman

I've got to get a video camera and look at myself dancing; There's one leader friend I use to demonstrate "putting your feet under your weight". and I suspect this is the essence of dancing Milonguero - at least the mechanics. I dont think "its the only way to go". I think I love the fluidity of nuevo movement and getting a boleo on the end of a fluid movement is so nice. Maybe thats why I dont have a style but am more eclectic; thats why I need to watch myself - with a partner of choice.

6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

...well, ... as time goes by .. :nope:

7. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

I'm only slightly before you in the queue for the bus pass :p

8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

How did you get out?

9. bordertangoman

10. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

That was amazing - i was watching this, was not really into it, and then there were 5 seconds (1:05 to 1:10) and i just started smiling. Thanks.
    Gssh

11. jantango

jantango Active Member

I have to tell you that this isn't tango milonguero. If that is Miles of the USA, he has never been to Buenos Aires to know what it is. Nor is he even dancing to tango music, so what he is doing isn't tango. The dance is named for the music.

If you would like to see milongueros dancing, go to www.youtube.com/jantango