Tango Argentino > Tango poise

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, May 16, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Am having real fun with the fabulous tango posture: weight slightly forward and reaching your toes before putting weight on it and moving, but I've seen a number of performances where the tanguero/a is dead straight. It looks nice, but not nearly as nice as when the weight is slightly forward. What are you taught and which do you find most comfortable?

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Weight forward most of the time but not all as sometimes you (leader that is) need to be more grounded or not to be invading the follower's space.
    Weight forward is the way to go.

3. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

bordertangoman: Would you say there is a difference between ballroom tango and argentine tango with this aspect?

4. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Yeah, BTM. This is what I'm thinking...but it was interesting seeing such a gulf between theories...

DancePoet...absolutely. Ballroom hold is completely different, it's upright and rigidt and, because you're trying to get diaphragm to diaphragm, there's no way to keep your weight forwards because you're pulling in and up.

5. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I disagree that there is an inability to have weight forward. Where your weight is depends mostly on what part of your foot you align your body over - so you certainly can have weight forward in a good ballroom tango posture. The simplest rule for ballroom tango (in fact most of the ballroom dances) is to start with your weight in the direction you aren't going, which often means that the lady would stand with her weight somewhat forward while the man would be back over his heels. But the lady's forward weight position in ballroom is never outside her own footprints - she is not leaning on the guy at all.