Tango Argentino > Tango : Romance vs Technique

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Violins, Sep 24, 2014.

1. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

The followers I would choose to dance with for a cause-effect, technicalities-packed, flawless dance are pretty much the same whom I would choose for a romantic one. Similar heigth (on their heels), flexible body, responsive to the lead. It's the music that will make the difference.
    With this said, the followers around here won't suit for either a romantic or technical tango. At best I can hope for a playful tango.

2. Gssh

Gssh Well-Known Member

I am sorry - i assumed more than i should have - but then i don't understand what would make a sister or niece (or a woman one is not attracted to) "unthinkable" as a partner for tango?

3. Henry Williams

Henry Williams New Member

Not with my sister - just a hang-up. I could try but it won't be relaxed and fun. Best to leave.

I often dance with friends' wives at weddings. Most men don't like dancing. Good fun but not quite relaxed in open embrace and certainly not passionate.

As for women I'm not attracted to provided that they are height matched probably not an issue in close embrace where we could both get lost in the dance. I have had some great dances with women I'm not particularly attracted to.

4. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Because you are not visual type any more. ;)

The worst dance I had with one attractive lady. She looked nice while dancing with some other guy.
    But dancing with her was horrible, and she ended tanda after first song with some energetic comment I didn't understand.
    I was very happy that she ended the tanda.

And usually I really get pleasant surprises at the events with the foreigners. :D
    Visual attractiveness and height are not criteria for me any more. ;)

5. Violins

Violins New Member

After reading your comments I think that in the long term, I will be able to dance both for romantic and pure technique reasons... At this point (After 6 months), I am profoundly moved by Tango Nuevo which heavily makes use of violins... The violin is my weakest point. This contributes enormously to my preference for romantic dances. If the music does not inspire me, I don't care even if I dance with Aphrodites. The dance won't work. If the music is right for me, then magic happens.

@Mladenac , that tangocynic youtube channel is amazing! And most of his clips are so true :D.

6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Can you give us the names of a few nuevo tunes, and the artists, that prominently use violins?

7. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

One of my favorites is primarily violin. I wish I knew the name of it. It's absolutely beautiful.

8. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

In that genre, my favourite is Tango to Evora with Roby Lakatos. It wouldn't be to everyone's taste, but with the right partner at the right time it is wonderful...

ocean-daughter likes this.
  9. twnkltoz

I haven't heard that particular version. Pretty. Definitely one you need the right partner for!

10. Violins

Violins New Member

I am glad you asked. I will offer you three pieces at this point, which I hope you will enjoy. First, there is this Turkish song on which I danced a few times.

www. youtube. com/watch?v=tm8bfSSnF2A

Second, Tango de Roxanne. I think all of you already know it.

www . youtube . com/watch?v=ic4PQ-tnwJw

Third, there is this band, called Ordo Rosarios Equilibrio. They are very profound, but very libertine. They might be taken with a grain of salt. But this particular song is perfect for my needs. Never danced on it though. There is no violin in this song, but in most of them there are.

www . youtube . com/watch?v=LooVRalNYbc

P.S. I hate not being able to post links.

11. twnkltoz

You should be able to post links pretty soon. Thanks for sharing those!

12. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

If you're a fan of the violin, in tango music, you should really spend some time getting to know the Golden Age music of Carlos Di Sarli. Although he was a pianist (and he always led his orchestra from the piano with a unique and distinctive piano style) it is his use of violins that is most characteristic of his music. Many will ultimately find the recordings from the 1940s the most satisfying for dancing, but most of us start with the instrumentals recorded towards the end of the 1950s. The best known (but overplayed) song of this period is Bahia Blanca:

13. Mladenac

Here is some another masterpieces from di sarli

14. TomTango

TomTango Active Member

While that tango connection with your partner is great and one of the driving aspects of the dance, a lot of the tango highs I get are purely technique focused.

I just love the progression of integrating a new concept into your dance. At first it's all awkward and difficult, and you think you'll never be able to do it smoothly, despite the fact that it's been this way with literally every other movement you've tried and got good at. But you do the move/step/movement socially anyways, and it feels awkward, but you just keep plugging away, trying out different mental cues. And then, hey! It doesn't feel so bad. Then you practice it more, do it more in different situations, even when the music might not call for it, because this tanda (at a practica of course) is for making this movement better.

Then comes that special moment when it just happens spontaneously, right there with the music, and it just feels awesome. You can feel your follow smile against your cheek. You think back and wonder how it was possible you were ever bad at that. God, I love that feeling. Those are the tango highs I chase.

LadyLeader and Steve Pastor like this.
  15. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

TomTango yes!
    I think I know the feeling. When we had been working hard on a move, we were usually thrown out of the dance by the success! On that pause we shaked hands cheerfully! and restarted the dance again.

16. manuille

manuille New Member

The Tango is like to life. One day you are happy, another sad, one day you can dance passionate another day you can dance more technical

Juniper Ivy and Mladenac like this.
  17. oldtangoguy

oldtangoguy Active Member

A loaded question for sure.

Gssh - Thank you for your remarks! They are, as usual, so right on.

Any endeavor that requires an extremely high level of cooperation can create a strong human of connection, especially when the cooperation is improvisational. Team sports, playing in a jazz combo, partner dance, and even getting a high-risk startup off the ground can all create intense feelings of connectivity with another person as well as with the environment (the music and the floor in tango).

I do not dance tango for any romantic/sexual aspect. I have a spectacular life partner, who is also a wonderful dancer. That's enough for me in the romance and passion department. However, as Gssh so eloquently pointed out, the emotions and connectivity in the dance can go far beyond romance/sensuality. Even the straightforward athletic aspects of the dance - a beautifully executed colgada, a flowing back sacada, a simple walking step - that require both partners work together can create a high level of connection and satisfaction.

18. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Clearly, the answer is whatever the two people choose to make it.

For me, mostly it is neither of two things you mentioned. I most typically dance for an emotional state that I refer to as connection.

For me, it is separate from romance, although connection likely would be a part of a romantic relationship.

I will confess that some songs will give me a different emotional response and make me more likely to dance for the steps, rather than for the connection.

19. Mladenac

I know some people that get aroused how tanda is made.

20. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Yes but felt for the music, not the partner.

LadyLeader likes this.