Tango Argentino > Tango : Romance vs Technique

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Violins, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Juniper Ivy

Juniper Ivy Member

I have often thought that I ought to write a blog post "100 reasons why I love to dance" (not that I actually blog) because my relationship with dance - and I do actually consider it arelationship that is complex and murky similar to an interpersonal relationship - is hard for me to understand and quantify.

Do I enjoy mastering technique? Yes
    Do I dance to feel the music? Yes
    Does close embrace make it easier to execute certain steps? Yes
    Do I like dancing when I look good and other people watch and compliment me? Yes
    Do I dance as a form of cardio exercise? Not really. I go jogging for this purpose.

I vehemently disagree! I find great beauty in the finely tuned lead-follow connection. It is like the beauty of physics and mechanics. Precise and powerful.

I do not think it is possible to hold another person close and not experience some feelings.

2. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

You always experience feelings. ;)

3. Juniper Ivy

Juniper Ivy Member

I agree. In close embrace I can't see much anyway. Only the man's shoulder and maybe the floor, so there is little benefit to looking around. And closing my eyes helps me concentrate on the dance.

4. Gina Tangoes

Gina Tangoes New Member

I never close my eyes but I do avoid getting too far away from the man, also I step closer to him if it's busy on the floor as I feel like I'm getting in everyone's way otherwise.

5. Juniper Ivy

Juniper Ivy Member

I really like this. When I dance I bring everything with me onto the dance floor. If I am very sad I dance my broken heart. If I am anxious or confident or happy or whatever it is there in me and it will come out in the dance. But by the end of the evening I will have most likely moved on to different emotions.

And like Gssh said sometimes tango is consoling and that is nice.

manuille likes this.