Tango Argentino > Tango shoes

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Patapouf, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

This thread is dedicated to all the shoe-addicted tangueras out there.

Shoe shopping is always a headache for me. Would like to know if anyone has got any feedback to these several main shoe brands, such as style, balance, comfort, size, etc etc?

I believe the feedbacks will be helpful for the others shopping for shoes in the future.

Here's a list of the few main shoe brands:
    http://www.tangoshoeguide.com/womens-tango-shoe-suppliers.html

I will start first.

Comme il faut - I found them very stable and I dance very well in them. However, my normal shoe size, 37 was a bit loose, 36 fits snugly and just fine, but a bit too short. Although I consider myself having wide feet, I need to use very thick pads to fill out the space if I wear 37. I like the base which is normally leather, easy to clean.

Neo-Tango - I found them not as steady as CiF, size 36 was even shorter than CiF and my toes stick out slightly. The base at the toe areas is sometimes made of satin, which absorbs moisture and I don't think they last as long as CiF.

Any other feedback to Darcos and other shoes, my dear Tangueras?

2. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

I have a pair of Gretafloras which I'm pleased with. They are the only pair of tango shoes I have found which fit my wide feet properly, and I won't compromise on this, especially when having to spend upwards of £100. They are extremely well-made, good quality and stable. They are probably as comfortable as any high-heel shoe could be! The heels are made so that they have a reasonably wide tip for stability but still look elegant.

I would like to buy another pair but the problem is finding a supplier - a girl in Totnes had a number of pairs to sell and could be contacted on Ebay - ask me for details.

I'd also like to have a pair of Tara Corazons in burgundy, but am nervous about buying on line, although Tara shoes are said to be very helpful. Has anyone any experience of this?

3. bastet

bastet Active Member

Tara's seem to fit people with narrower feet better. (my feet are normal to slightly wide). I have tried several pair (much to my wallet's dismay) and though they have nice padding and are well made, the cut of the peep toes just squeezes my toes joints after 1/2 an hour or so. I'd try the Cubana model if any, since it has a very open toe. It also usually has a platform, which I don't like. I found I needed to go up a half size in most cases for her shoes because of the narrower cuts.

If you want to hear all tango shoes all the time have a look at tangoshoedivas.com ( http://web.archive.org/web/20090908034458/http://www.tangoshoedivas.com/shoedivas/ ).

There is plenty of info, reviews and commentary on nothing but tango shoes there. I post there also.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2017
  4. bastet

bastet Active Member

Insole measures on CiF and Neotango have seemed pretty much the same to me. Some models in Neotango are cut wider than others. Same with CiF. You just need to know what to home in on. Trying them on at festivals is a good way to start.

In CiF, if you are a a half size and it seems you are- the size 37 peep toe models ought to fit you better than the size 37 open toe. I can wear a 37 peep toe but not a 37 open toe (too big).

Darcos runs about 1/2 big. I take a 36 in Darcos, and the pair I have right now measures like a half size bigger in length (9 3/8") for what I'd generally expect in a size 36 but is too close to a peep toe even with the adjustable front, so I'll probably sell them. (PM me if you have any interest in trying Darcos for a discount! It's a special pair you can't get online)

If you are in Europe, Lisadore has a large selection of CiF.

Also see my other comment on tangoshoedivas.com. You'll find oodles of shoe info there.

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

OMG, Bastet. I was just reading on Tango Shoe Divas and saw an old post of yours about a pair of burgundy CIFs--slingbacks, with an envelope toe.

I had an almost identical pair to that--the only difference is that my pair was sort of a cinnamon brown, with a gold heel. Those were the.most.comfortable.shoes.ever! I miss them so much. (I wore mine until they reeked too much to be removed from the trunk of my car...and my car don't smell so pretty.) That suede was soooo nice and soft, and they fit perfectly. I want another pair just like that, but haven't been able to find them. :-( Oh well.

6. bastet

bastet Active Member

I remember that- a couple of years ago! I think you even had a picture of your poor departed pair at one point. :)

I don't have mine anymore. I don't have any CiF at the moment because I am really digging Greta Flora right now. They are cut very comfortably for people with chubby toes and they do PRETTY low heels.

Maybe one day other shoe companies will wake up and figure out that just because you can't wear tacos altos, doesn't mean you want shoes that look like a grandma.

7. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

I suspect that narrow shoe sizes are prevalent in Argentina, where the shoes are made, and they haven't caught up with European / North American requirements.

The other problem is lack of availability of shoes - it seems to be a question of finding a supplier in Europe who has just imported a pile of Gretafloras, quick, before the pick has already sold out.

The fact that they are hard to come by drives up the price, because there is usually nothing special about the workmanship or materials to justify the astronomical pricetags, IMO. Well, that and hordes of daft tangueras eager to buy the latest must-have foot candy.

8. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

Anyone has anything to share about their shoe experience with open heel cage? I have one and I thought they don't hold up, or so "solidly" fixed to my feet as closed shoes. I don't know if this's because the front was slightly loose as well.

What say the others?

9. bastet

bastet Active Member

I go back and forth on liking open back shoes. I'd say if the front is loose fitting, that's no good and there's no way the back end will stay in place.

10. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

I wear Comme il Fauts with 3" heels, I recently bought a pair of open-backed ones and they are my favourite to date. I actually find them better for my feet than closed back shoes..I think it's very much down to the individual though and you need to try for yourself. Mine happen to be the new 'mule' style with full sides so they are quite supportive anyway.

11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Of course you could always be different and dance in flip-flops :rolleyes:

12. wadpro

wadpro Member

13. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Arf!

14. Yliander

Yliander Member

Been there done that!!! :D

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Haven't danced in flip flops, but have in sneakers, street shoes, and socks!

(I don't see much reason to pass up a good dance just because I don't happen to have the right footwear around! :) )

16. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

oh the person in question wearing flip-flops was showing off I think; she had a perfectly good pair of shoes in her bag.

17. SpireDance

SpireDance New Member

Have you tried spiredance.com? We offer a full line of ballroom shoes. You can also customize your own pair.

18. SpireDance

SpireDance New Member

Hi,

I own a small company that produces custom dance shoes. We are called SpireDance and we are based in Manhattan. I hope you have a chance to google us. Thanks for your time.

19. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I must say, you have one of the worst web sites I've ever been on, with respect to trying to order anything. Visually speaking, it's not bad, but functionally speaking, it's basically useless.

20. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. On the website I see only shoes for ballroom dancing so far. Do you plan to sell tango shoes in the future?