Tango Argentino > Tango shoes

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Patapouf, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Hi bastet, yup, I think perhaps I should post my CIF stories on TSD! Not received the new model yet so will post on there when they arrive.

I think all this super feedback just shows how individual a thing it is and it's also good to hear that everyone has their own foibles to deal with. I don't have sensitive feet like yourself but I do have rather weak feet but hard leathers are fine for me but when it comes to soles I can't do extremes, soft, flexible BR shoes don't give me enough support and shoes with a steel shank (I think Oobashoe was mentioned earlier in the thread and I think they have steel shanks) are just too inflexible - I had a pair of street shoes with a steel shank and they weren't that great.

The only thing I'll add is that I don't mind getting my fine leather soled CIFs messed up and scratched, they still function well for me, I actually wore them on a regular night out in a bit of a dive with water and broken glass on the floor - yikes! But they're fine! And I found that with the harder leather soles (such as Jorge Nel) if you've got a very slick floor they are super, super slippy. I never got into the habit of brushing the soles of my BR shoes (oops) so they are just very smooth, now but they are fine, not too slippy.

2. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Ooh, PS Bastet, do you know if Tara measure the heel up the side or up the back? Thanks muchly!

3. mshedgehog

mshedgehog New Member

Me too - I need a lot less grip than I used to. And my preference for height has changed over time, in both directions at different times for different reasons. I too would suggest not spending too much on a first pair.

4. bastet

bastet Active Member

Up the back has been my experience with them.

5. SpireDance

SpireDance New Member

Hi Dchester,

Sorry I should have explained a bit more about what we do. The reason why we don't have much stock is because we really focus on custom shoes. If there is a shoe you are interested in customizing we can definitely help you out. I was also wondering if you could be more specific in your feed back about what you mean by "functionally useless". Do you mean it is hard to order something or hard to find what you want? It looks like the time you were viewing our site was when we just launched. Since then we have made many functional updates to the site so maybe you want to check back and take a look? We appreciate your feedback and help in helping us to try and serve the dance community better.

Jared

6. SpireDance

SpireDance New Member

Hi Lilly,

We do plan to increase our stock very soon. I would check back in a month or so. If you have a pair of shoes in mind that you would like to customize let me know. Our factory can probably make it for you. Hope that helps.

Jared

7. ginger lee

ginger lee New Member

Darcos Tango shoes not worth the money..

These are advertised as handmade,and with all the hype, I bought a pair. They were too wide at the toes and had very little padding. They looked so pretty and well made on the website,but were very ordinary looking shoes when I got them. The soles were very thin leather,and would not seem to hold up to a lot of use. I think for shoes that are over a hundred dollars,they should be of a better, sturdier quality. They were returned right away and credited(after 2 months),but Darcos did not reimburse me for the postage to send them back, even though they promised that they would. The customer service person said yes,she had said that but sorry,couldn't do it after all. According to them, the shoes were the right size,I just didn't like them,and they would only credit the shoes.

My advice is,if you can't try them on first,don't order ANY shoes online,but most especially from anywhere outside of the U.S,and especially from Darcos Tango.
    I learned the hard way.

8. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

My Darcos are my 2nd favorite pair! (The veryfine ballroom shoes I mentioned upthread still hold the number one spot, except when I am on sticky floors)

However, I admit to buying them at Darcos in BA, so I got to see them up close and personal as well as try them on. The soles were super slick when I got them and I ravaged them with a wire brush. They have held up well, but they are not my primary pair. I'd say I wear them about once (sometimes twice) per month for the last 2 years. I've gotten compliments on them, but they are an unusual color and style. They are extremely well balanced.

I actually found that they were a bit snug in the toes (they are a closed toe shoe). I have to agree about the padding, though.. there is none. I really wish I had room in the shoe to stick in a metatarsal pad of some sort... If they had been wide at the toes as yours were, I'd be all set. The strap was ridiculously short though... I had to punch a hole in the very end. It almost doesn't fasten at all. If I'd needed another 1/2" of strap, I'd be out of luck!

I have heard however, that Darcos run the gamut. You can try on several pairs in a size and some will be too big while others are too small. I don't think I would recommend getting them sight unseen, but if you do have a chance to buy "live", I think they are a pretty good shoe.. just leave room in your fit for a metatarsal pad insert.