Tango Argentino > Tango syllabus

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Numawan, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Numawan

Numawan Member

Hello everyone,

A bit of a provocative title for this thread ... I have noticed that this topic seems to generate a lot of controversy! ;)

Anyway, I was looking for internet resources on all the different types of leads used in Argentine Tango.

I was wondering, for example, what is the lead to have your partner pivot on her leg without taking a step? And how is that lead different from the one initiating an ocho? This is just an example. I will probably learn that in due time. But I thought such a reference would be helpful for beginners.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Francois

2. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Take what is standard for you community. People learn from a constrained pool of teachers.
    And if you lead something extra if they are not really advanced they will not be able to follow you.

KISS principle in action

3. Numawan

Numawan Member

Well, it seems to me that the language of leads is not specific to each community, but that it is shared among everyone who dances tango worldwide. Otherwise, how would say an American be able to dance in a Milonga in Europe for example?

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

You don't lead a weight change.

5. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

The lead for the pivot is the same. An ocho requires a step as well as a pivot: lead a step as well.

6. Numawan

Numawan Member

Thanks for your responses. But I was not looking for a response regarding that specific lead. As I said, I will learn in due time.

What I am looking for is some good internet resources regarding ALL leads in Argentine Tango. A kind of reference on that topic. I already did search for that, but I have found nothing so far.

7. Numawan

Numawan Member

Another example that brought me to this question. I saw the following sequence in a tango performance: the lead carries out a first barrida (sweep), answered by a barrida from the lady, and completed by another barrida from the lead. I understand how barridas number 1 and 3 are led, but what about barrida number 2?

8. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

It's not what you do with your feet!

Lois Donnay likes this.
  9. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I don't know that you'll find a list of all the leads. I suggest you focus on the fundamental idea of leading, which is (in my opinion) determining where you want your follower to go and how to get her there. How to feel which foot she's on, how she responds when you move your body in certain ways, trying the patterns you've learned in class but with different variations, etc. Practicing and experimenting with a partner between lessons will teach you much more than anything you could read on the internet.

10. Arkady Vizel

Arkady Vizel New Member

I recommend to watch instructional videos by Christy Cote and George Garcia on you tube. They explain in great details many concepts, including types of embrace and leader/follower barridas

11. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

Leading open, salon and close embrace is different.
    And sometimes certain teachers teach their way or leading and following. So it is not the same.
    They have own program, so until 2 or yrs students are not able to dance with everyone.

I am just telling you my experience (after 8 yrs of AT).

12. Numawan

Numawan Member

Agree. So I went to my first Practica ever this evening, the only one I know of in Brussels. Danced about 1:15 out of 2 hours. Nice place. Quite welcoming people. Will go back.

twnkltoz likes this.
  13. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I have heard 3 totally different answers to that question, and at various times in my tango life, I've tried all three (with varying levels of success).

The three different techniques are:
    • Lift up, just slightly (this works the best with beginning followers, and also with moves where you may be pivoting her for a while, or slowly).
    • Keep the follower on her axis, so she has no reason to step (works fine with experienced followers, and often fails with beginners).
    • Go down slightly (for me this works best when pivoting quickly for a brief period of time).
    Generally speaking, I normally use both of the first two techniques (but more of the second than the first). However, there are a couple situations where I might use the third technique.

14. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

That's not syllabus.
    If syllabus is what you want, then there is a whole series of videos here

http://w w w .howcast.com/guides/905-How-to-Do-the-Argentine-Tango/

They have a video for everything. Amague? They have a video. Calecita? They have a video.
    While it may not be as inspirational as the Zotto-Godoy series, the image and sound are much more state-of-the-art.

15. Numawan

Numawan Member

Yes, I had already spotted this video series some time ago. They are very well done in my not terribly expert opinion.

16. Numawan

Numawan Member

In my last lesson, we started to learn the barrida. I did not find myself terribly good. So, I watched the howcast video on the barrida, and noticed that their approach was slightly different than what I had done during my lesson. I still need to test it out, but it seemed a much better approach to me.

17. pascal

pascal Active Member

They start their barrida from a back ocho rather than from the also commonly used crossed-system walk.
    There are many many positions from where you can start a barrida. Choosing one position instead of another does not tell much about your style or your lead or how good your teacher is.

18. Numawan

Numawan Member

I was not criticising my teacher, but rather praising Diego & Ana's video.

During my lesson, we didn't train long enough on the barrida so far. The difference is that, in the lesson, I was meant to make my foot touch my partner's foot after I had initiated the back ocho. At least, that is how I tried to do it. In the video, they touch the foot at the end of the side step, before you have initiated the back ocho. Looks quite a bit easier to me.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  19. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

Notice in the video how Diego invites her to take her step without taking a step of his own -- his upper body is ahead of his lower body. The secret is you lead her to go and then you catch up. Everything is timing and location.

20. Numawan

Numawan Member

I guess this is the lead-follow-follow principle that I have seen mentioned elsewhere on this forum.