Tango Argentino > Tango syllabus

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Numawan, Apr 4, 2016.

1. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Basically, there's a brief lag in time from when you lead, and when the follower responds to the lead. If you lead and step at the same time, you'll be ahead of her, (maybe even kicking or stepping on her). I've found that there are some followers who don't like it when I kick them.

:beye:

2. Numawan

Numawan Member

Really? :D

3. Tango Distance

Tango Distance Active Member

My instructor said to lead the lady to take a step, like usual, but your foot precedes hers. Another thing you can do is "push" the lady's foot, and then reverse direction and it looks like she is "pushing" your foot (but it is not really pushing, more leading the step). I was able to lead this with a newbie once, I was happy about that.

4. koinzell

koinzell Active Member

Tango Distance brought up a very good point. The follower has to have excellent timing, especially if you want to barrida during the back-to-side step of a giro. If the follower releases the leg early after getting to her new axis (i.e. rushes her steps), then all bets are off.

5. Numawan

Numawan Member

Given my level of experience, I am guessing a bit. But I have the impression that there are only a limited number of possible leads:

- chest forward/backward
    - chest left/right
    - chest clockwise/counterclockwise
    - chest up/down
    - foot touching

And some combinations of these elementary leads.

6. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

A key thing to remember, leading is just as much about the "when", as it is about the "what". Basically, if you do the correct movement at the wrong time, you won't get what you wanted.

Angel HI likes this.
  7. Numawan

Numawan Member

Would you mind to give an example?

8. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

A lot of times, it happens when she's not on the right foot to do what you ask, like if you lead her to her left while she's standing on her left foot (unless you want to hold her up). Leading an ocho but asking her to step before she's finished her pivot, etc. Sometimes your mis-timed lead could result in her taking a step instead of pivoting, or moving to the side when you wanted her to change weight in place, or do a forward ocho instead of an ocho cortada.

9. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Thought this deserved reposting.

10. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Ever heard of Plato's cave? The chest is the shadows on the wall.

11. Lois Donnay

Lois Donnay Member

If you want to learn a dance from Youtube or the internet, I suggest you try a different dance - one that is built on a syllabus and judged from the outside, like ballroom. Tango is led from the torso - the lead connot be discerned easily by watching. I believe this is part of the Argentine culture - protecting your talent, your moves, your art, from those who would copy, is common in Argentine musicians, painters, writers - etc. DiSarli always tried to put his body beween the audience and his fingers, so no one knew how he was playing the piano. Music was collected after a practice, so musicians wouldn't steal the music. That is also why it is better to take lessons from a woman teacher - she has actually felt what a good lead does.

12. Numawan

Numawan Member

During today's lesson, I had the opportunity to try out Ana & Diego's approach. Well, it went very smoothly. I doubt I would be able to place that barrida in a real dance setting, but it was fun nevertheless.

13. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

From what [very little] I've seen of tango competitions (on YouTube, inevitably), they all dance exactly the same stuff in the same way, and then offer their syllabus-based nonsense to the judgment of their betters. This sounds just like 'ballroom', except that there isn't, and never was, such a dance as 'ballroom'.

The tragedy, for tango, is that last year's competitors (at least the ones that made the final rounds) are this year's 'Internationally renowned' visiting teachers/maestros, filling up their suitcases with foreign exchange, before going home to plan their next trip. All over the world, gullible dance student lap it up: and then wonder why the choreography they've paid so much for (and don't forget all those power walks: projecting the body powerfully forward, step after step) are completely useless if they ever go to a grown-up's milonga, where real people dance socially.

The Emperor has no clothes.