Tango Argentino > Teachers who have been to Buenos Aires

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Lois Donnay, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Although that might have been interesting to know about, I agree that the teacher should have worked with your body and movement as they are, not try to undo decades of habit ingrained in your normal walking.

But then, that's my pet peeve with so many teachers... they don't take into account the typically unconditioned, middle-aged (or older), desk jockey bodies that so many social dancers come into tango with. (not talking of YOU DC). I've personally found this to be more true of young show dancers. They just can't relate. Although I have had dancers who perform work well with my body, and some older teachers who seemed more "social dance" oriented, oblivious.

All this just proves that teaching is a different skill than dancing.

I spend at least 1/2 of every private I take just walking. The longer I dance, the more focused I have become on walking. If I could focus on tango walking while sitting at the computer, I would!

2. Montevideo is pretty good too, very beautiful, and much less "hyped" than Buenos Aires.

3. tangomaniac

tangomaniac Active Member

I thought it got cheaper when the peso was disconnected to the dollar and allowed to float (or is it sink?)

4. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

It maybe did but anyhow the currencies in Europe have gone down and my longtime BA traveler friends complined how expensive the trip last year turned out to be.

5. tangomaniac

upload_2015-10-22_3-16-15.png

If I'm reading the chart correctly, the euro has doubled in value to the peso since 2011.

I don't know the inflation rate, which may have wiped out the gain.

6. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

Yes, it's certainly arguable that in a private lesson teacher should
    work on what you are but, and it's a big but, we dance what we are
    and how we are in normal life does affect how we dance. So if it's
    relevant ( and I would argue that it may well have been) some time
    spent on that might have been helpful especially if teacher
    encouraged the pupil to work on fitness, posture and walking
    both for the beneficial affect on tango but also on real life health.
    But if the student doesn't want to listen or to respond . . . . . . . .
    Quite! They do have to work with the unconditioned bodies
    but if you have any dance ambition at all, work outside the lesson
    is immensely beneficial and surely that should be encouraged.
    You know, once tango was a young person's dance but
    the young social dancers became old and today's young
    are interested in something more extrovert. There are
    less of them too than in the golden age of social dancing
    (not just tango in BsAs, but other also dances in North America
    and Europe) so the motivations of the young to dance today
    are different. Nor can we expect them to be to relate to the
    physical restrictions and ailments (significant or otherwise)
    of older generations. So we can't blame the young, better
    to blame the older people who pay them money to be taught
    what their bodies are incapable of learning or executing.

The answer? Become as fit as you reasonably can.

Mladenac likes this.
  7. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

Inflation is 15% to 25% per annum depending on whose
    figures you believe, and even higher in the recent past.
    Inflation has more than wiped out the apparent gains from
    ongoing and never ending creeping devaluation.

Argentina's own statistics department has been politicised
    and manipulated to such an extent that their figures are
    not trusted internationally.

The illegal black market "Blue Dollar" runs at a premium
    of between 50 and 70% above the official rate depending
    on the political and economic climate of the day.
    Official rate today is 9.5 pesos (approx) per dollar and
    the Dollar Blue is at 15.9 pesos, a premium of 67%.
    I think you'll find that changes the economics somewhat,
    at least for longer term stayers who have dollars.

8. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty fit for my age, but I will never be in the same shape as I was at 20. It's just a fact of life. Some older people come to tango "unconditioned", but even those who are conditioned come with a variety of physical issues just because their bodies are older. For the most part, we are talking about people who WANT to be active and try to be, not couch potatoes who think they can become dancers without ever moving their body.

Also, no amount of working on it will change my skeletal structure, and didn't even when I was younger. Even with 15 hours a week in ballet classes as a teen, my feet didn't have that extreme point in the forefoot and my arch didn't get any higher. (So I can't walk "toe first" in anything higher than a flat shoe.) My femurs were always going to sit forward and rotated slightly inward in their natural state, and my turnout wasn't going to "stretch" past the point where the hip socket bone was in the way. So I have a bit of natural pelvic tilt and trying to straighten it means I can't step back.

I don't blame young dancers for not being able to relate, but I do blame teachers who can't understand that 60 year olds can't be made over into 22 year old performers. If someone bills themselves as a teacher of a physical discipline, I expect them to be able to understand actual human bodies and their variations. I expect them to have some knowledge of anatomy and not just knowledge of what the "ideal" is in tango or how they do it themselves. I expect them to be able recognize the limitations a student may have and help them dance despite them, not just tell them how they "should" move as though they can't be helped until they overcome some physical issues that may not be resolvable (past injuries, arthritis, skeletal structure, joint fusion, inevitable breakdown in the spine, body shape and composition, etc, etc)

If they are working with older people, they need this just to avoid hurting someone! I know an 85 year old who dances beautifully and looks 20 years younger, but that doesn't change the fact that her bones are very fragile. I know a dancer my own age who has impeccable technique.. for the style she dances. But she can't disassociate at her waist without causing a flare up of extreme neuralgia pain despite constant PT and exercises designed to improve her situation.

I can look at my student who is a little bowlegged and realize that brushing her knees as she walks would require her to walk like a runway model crossing her steps past the middle line of her body. I don't have any special medical training. I just took the time to look at her legs while she stood still naturally with her weigh evenly distributed, and then walking. I didn't say her normal walking was "unnatural" even though it would be very unnatural for ME since my legs do the opposite... I just had to find a way to work with the way her legs are formed so that her walk is smooth and elegant even though her knees aren't going to touch as she walks, no matter how straight of a line she walks on.

I think that when someone charges $100 US for their services related to using the body, it's not too much to ask for them to have knowledge of the body itself, not just what they want the body to do.

Mladenac and LadyLeader like this.
  9. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

Yes you are rigth: I am not so up to date about these facts. This was my first trip to BA but my senior traveling friends were shocked about the prices compared to their earlier trips.
    Another side is the news about people staying home on vaccation because the low home currency value and the painfull effect of this on my Asian travel budget.

10. tangomaniac

Were your friends shocked by the generous extreme exchange rate? The Argentines are getting hammered from the economy and the lawsuit against the government by bond holders they don't want to pay full value of the bonds. (I'm not getting into a discussion of their bond default.)

11. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Active Member

The prices of ordinary things were higher than they remembered so the traveling budget needed to be extended.

12. manuille

manuille New Member

As Argentinian I say that could be true that we are more passionate than technical