Country and Western > Teaching how to dance...

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by rodeoroxy16, Jun 3, 2005.

1. rodeoroxy16

rodeoroxy16 New Member

So my 13 year old cousin knows that I country line dance and now she wants to learn how. Now obviously because of her age I can't take her to any C&W clubs, but she really wants to learn. Any good ways I could teach her?? Thanks!

2. dTas

dTas New Member

put some music on and show her a line dance.

i don't see what's the hold up.

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Good idea dtas. :)

4. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I know nothing about line dancing, unfortunately, but I don't think there's a probem with teaching someone at home. My brother is 14 and I've been showing him basic ballroom and salsa footwork. You should just show her some basic steps and figures and them put some music on and practice with her. It's pretty common for relatives to teach each other and that way when she's of age to learn and go to clubs, she'll already know some things.
    Teacher her what you know. :D Try to think of what your teachers did to teach you.

Twilight Elena

5. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Ooh...this I can help with as I just started teaching a line dance class.

Step 1: Pick a basic beginner dance (i.e. electric slide, cross over, etc.)

Step 2: Start by teaching the first eight counts on the main wall. Once she has caught on to that, move on to the next eight counts.

Step 3: Once she knows all counts on the main wall...repeat, repeat, repeat.

Step 4: Beginning running through the dance on each of the continuing walls. If she stumbles, simply review that section on the new wall.

Step 5: After she feels comfortable with each wall, try doing all four walls (if a four-wall dance) consecutively without music. Gradually speed up to the tempo of the music.

Step 6: Add music and just keep dancing. If she gets really lost, simply reinstruct on that area and try again.

A few other helpful tips:
    ~ Before you start teaching, practice doing the steps and saying them outloud at the same time. This can be a little tricky if you're not used to it.
    ~ Try to say out loud the same steps as listed on the choreography (or step) sheet. Be sure to provide a sheet to your learner so she can pratice on her own when you're not around.
    ~ Be sure to also talk about weight distribution and what it means. Show how to place the weight on one foot and make sure she grasps this concept as it is key to making sure she stays on the right feet while dancing.
    ~ And most importantly, just have fun!

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Great idea to start teaching them when they're young.

While your teaching an easy line dance, you may want to start teaching her some of those basics steps - like a grapevine, kick ball change, sailor shuffles, etc. Many of of the basic steps are common to most line dances. Knowing them helps to quickly learn the millions of line dances.

7. rodeoroxy16

rodeoroxy16 New Member

Thanks to all that helped.. and those that were smart alecs... karma's gonna bite you in the butt. Have a nice day.

8. tacad

tacad New Member

For what it's worth, I don't think anyone was being a smart alec. :D

Some bars/clubs let you use an arm band to determine age. So minors can get in. I don't know how young they allow, though.

9. rodeoroxy16

rodeoroxy16 New Member

We have that here, but you have to be 15 years old.

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I agree with this, Vince. In line dance classes I've taken, those moves are the hold-up, a lot of the time, because they take a little while to learn. But, once you get them, they're basic building blocks for tons of dances. 8)

Oh yeah, and about the teaching at home thing, two ideas: Everywhere I've lived, there've been teen dances -- no booze, no smoking, no late, late nights, and just teens. Anything like that where you live? She might be able to go out and get some practice that way.

If not, try to find a hard, smooth floor to practice on -- a kitchen or living room with the rugs rolled back could work. If your house is like my old place, there may be carpet everywhere. Diificult to dance on. Your garage? Basement? A neighborhood gym? Try to find a hard smooth floor, if you can. It'll make both your lives easier, especially if you're doing four-wall dances or dances where you have to do a lot of spins. 8)