Tango Argentino > Teaching syllabus for AT - good idea?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, May 22, 2008.

1. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Good question. Is there some secret code or something?

Seriously, a pre-lead is the only way to start. I usually breathe in, visibly, as well as other stuff, just before the start - that seems to work well as a signal.

Damn, I knew I'd been going wrong somewhere... :)

2. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Maybe thats the answer - scare them so they get out of your way the moment you move forward ...

3. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by larrynla [​IMG]
    [FONT=&quot]When we walk, the first step or later ones, the process is the same. We relax foot muscles in the direction we want to go and our body tilts in that direction. Then we move a foot to catch ourselves, center out bodies over that foot, and collect our trailing foot to near the supporting foot. [/FONT]

Not looking for any kind of recognition...seriously, I believe that I was the first, here on the DF, to mention "pre-lead" as, more in-depthly, described by TT. I'm glad to see it coming back into the discussion, b/c I believe that it is the most relevant part of the orig. question/answer. There are several exercizes, though difficult to explain w/o an accompaning visual, with which to practice this, and practically always lacking from syllabi.

4. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

5. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

:notworth: Sheesh! Impressive stuff. I wonder how it hangs together? Are the courses taught in tandem?

I wanna live in Seattle wah wah ... (I love how one of the teachers has a masters in "Plant Pathology" )

6. bastet

bastet Active Member

I happen to think its a really good idea to teach the close embrace first...no cheating with the arms.

Jaimes is a very thorough teacher also.

7. larrynla

larrynla Member

Grey days, cold summers - with just enough beautiful days in a gorgeous, fascinating city to seduce you into emigrating!

(Thus says the confirmed Southern Californian!)

Larry de Los Angeles

8. Angel HI

I like it. I believe that, in some places, it is a wee too progressive, but a fairly reasonable curriculum (MUCH better than that other SF/HI collaboration of WT?. :rolleyes:

9. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

The courses are taught college style, where you have pre-requisite classes that lead to into each other. The curriculum (if followed) runs 1 year plus. His main demographic is young (or young minded) people. This slant of this course also becomes progressively and heavily nuevo.

10. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

I wonder if I could transfer my college credits then...

You are one lucky sailor!

11. Dancing_Jabba

Dancing_Jabba New Member

Perhaps not a syllabus, merely some guidelines to follow, where to start, how to improve, what steps would be good to see during different exam levels?

Just a thought!

I've just done my first AT Amateur Awards and my teacher uses the same routine for Bronze and Silver. I think everyone brings something to this dance......It's just incredible, easily my favourite so far, the passion, the drama......Oooh it's just STUNNING

12. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Hi Jabba welcome to DF

What are the "AT Amateur Awards"? What's involved?

(Assuming you're Hampshire, England you're in a great place to learn - some great teachers locally ... PM me if you need to )

13. Dancing_Jabba

Dancing_Jabba New Member

I am indeed in Hampshire, UK. And thanks for the welcome!

Well I've been doing street, balllroom and latin for a combined 3 years. I always wanted to dance, not compete, just have fun. Now I'd love to teach and am doing my first professional exam next year. The amateur awards are exams run by the IDTA. There are various different levels and various different marks you can be awarded.

The argentine tango is an extra award that you can go for in addition to the standard ballroom and standard latin dances. You learn a routine and they score you appropriately. If you pass, you get medal/shield to recognise this.

I love the AT it is incredible and am happy to say was awarded Honours for both my AT routines. :) :cheers:

14. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Well done!

I have to warn you, many ATers frown on the idea of exams, qualifications etc . To them it is a social dance and one of the joys is that generally it isnt choreographed. If you want to learn that dance, then there are lots of useful tips on this forum.

It seems that the BR world is getting more and more interested in AT - which may be positive, may be negative. Any thoughts from others?

15. Dancing_Jabba

Dancing_Jabba New Member

Thanks for letting me know. In that case, I may have to clarify slightly. The exam isn't such that they say "You can dance the AT" as in that it implies any skill, it's more about the interpretation and musicality you display, it is more an award for your performance than having a set-in-stone structure that you simply must achieve in order to pass.

I hope that makes sense?

16. Angel HI

Welcome to the DF ,DJ.

Though all true, nonnative tango dancers fail to realize that native tangueros/as have done all of these things for decades.
    Agreed...and, both. AT could be very positive b/c it has much to offer BR. The sad fact is that BR will never acknowledge this. This isn't to say that AT will not become included into the BR mainstream...I believe that it will, but it will never be recognized for all that it has to offer. The other sad truth is that if/when AT is brought into the BR mainstream, it will, very devastatingly, be systemized/syllabutized; bronzed/golded; slowed/quicked into the same technically obscured mass of step-mess that seems to be the future of BR that we see today.

I have no probleme with writing down what/how to teach AT in a logical/systematic manner. This is just plain common sense and good teaching. OK, yesm this is a syllabus. Yet, it doesn't have to be a syllabus of prescribed/prerequisited steps that define the dance. It can remain what syllabi were supposed to be...a logical/systematic manner of teaching mvoement basics and tango concepts.

17. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Do you have any more information (i.e. a link to the organisation or the name)? - I'd be interested in seeing this.

Apparently, there's a group teaching AT in St. Albans (http://www.and123.co.uk/latinlounge.htm) who also have some sort of exam thing - Bronze / Silver / Gold I think. Dunno what's involved, but I got a glimpse at the syllabus a few weeks back and it seemed quite sensible.

18. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Ah, more information:
    http://www.and123.co.uk/medals.htm

However, the UKA website is massively useless as far as actual information goes, so I'm no wiser as to the content or structure of the exams.

19. bafonso

bafonso New Member

When BR people try to dabble in AT, things go wrong.

20. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member