Salsa > The Art of Giving Out Your Number

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by blossomingsalsadancer, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Really? hmmm...|

2. Awesome! Didn't know I can learn something about biology and chemistry on this board! :)

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Why am I reminded of "When Harry Met Sally?" :roll: Hmm...

Yep. The things you learn on this board. :lol:

4. luh

luh Active Member

i'm in vacation, no way that I'm gonna learn right now..
    luh

5. azzey

azzey Member

Neither, a sucker! :lol:

6. tacad

tacad New Member

Thank you! :notworth:

7. azzey

azzey Member

It's been most amusing reading this thread.

Like in any form of communication in life there is some degree of risk.

You can blunder around like a beginner with fixed ideas of how things should *be* and that things only mean one thing or you can learn, adapt and play with the lead and follow, exchanging rolls from time to time, flirt with danger and have fun to the music of life yet try to be clear and communicate what you want out of your relationship.

I think that goes for on and off the dance floor.

Just make sure you don't press the heal down when you step on his toes to make your point, that really hurts! :twisted: :lol:

8. huey

huey New Member

Interesting thread (and great title 8) ). Speaking from the Swing (not Salsa) scene, I can recognise the problem.

If you gave me your number, I wouldn't know that you only want friendship (unless you explicitly stated it), but I might be able to guess from my knowledge of you, and the way you talked to me when giving me your number.

I don't agree that men and women can't be ('just') friends. In my dance scene, there are some men and women who hang around together happily as friends. But I think each combination of people is different, just as each dance relationship is different.

8)

9. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Hmmm...

Interesting view of what us, over here, might refer to as "the Western mentality"... so different from ours...

We are warm people, we love having fun and making friends... women over here love it when men try to date them (even if they have no particular interest in those men). In my club, you won't see "Salsera no. 1) T-shirts. But you'll see a lot of sexi clothing and almost naked girls dancing around.

I usually go out dressed nicely... and this doesn't include T-shirts and loose jeans. It includes tight jeans and sexi tops and short skirts... :)

I have a boyfriend, but I love it when men make passes at me. It just means I am desirable. If they cross the line, they get slapped (verbally usually, but I would not exclude the "physical correction" when needed).

I am a Salsa dancer and instructor. I love dancing and I give out my phone number to all. Yes, I've had guys call me and ask me out. And I said no. So what? Big deal.

I am not familiar with your scenes... but here, my Salsa buddies are my buddies outside the dance floor as well. We share a mutual interest, our love for Salsa. We go to movies and barbeques together, we go to the seaside and the mountains in trips... :) And we stay at the same table in the club.

Maybe we're weird... :)

10. itorres

itorres New Member

:shock:
    Is there a Bucharest Salsa Congress? Where do I sign up? :D
    :cry:
    Broken hearts? :cry:

11. luh

luh Active Member

seriously - this thread should be in the general discussion not in salsa.
    luh

12. pygmalion

The thread does seem to have evolved. I agree. 8) But maybe the original poster wanted to know specifically about the salsa scene, which does seem to have its own etiquette. *shrug* Not the OP's fault if people from all dance backgrounds respond to these threads. :? 8)

13. Vin

Vin New Member

Freindship track:
    1) Meet/Dance
    2) Spend a few weeks seeing each other in the clubs, dancing occasionally
    3) Exchange numbers
    4) arrange to be at same club
    5) go for after/pre-salsa activity
    6) occasionally carpool
    7) Start doing non-salsa activities

Non-friendship track
    1) Meet/Dance
    2) Spend a few weeks seeing each other in the clubs, dancing occasionally
    3) Exchange numbers/invite for non-salsa activity
    4) Do non-salsa activity

This doesn't help your situation but for the guys, I try and make my intentions clear when I am interested in dating a woman in the scene. I invite her to do something non-salsa related and then as a sidenote I get her number. You see these women 2-3 times a week what's the point of getting her number first. Chances are your going to wonder whether you should call right away or after x amount of days and by the time x-amount of days has gone by you have seen her again.

14. luh

luh Active Member

that's the problem, it's not specified in the active topics.
    I get the feeling that often there are threads i'd like to answer, but i always have a little not to take down "but, i'm don't do ballroom/salsa - so it might be different"
    luh

15. pygmalion

Yeah. Different dance scenes have a lot of overlap, but some things are unique. Sometimes it's hard to tell which threads to answer and in which ones to just lurk. :?

16. luh

luh Active Member

you seem to answer in each one :D
    luh

17. kdogg

kdogg New Member

Both the tracks seem to me to be almost the same; the first has a couple of extra things (arranging to meet at the same club, and carpooling), which could happen in the second track if they're regulars at the same club. If you leave out "doing non-salsa activity" in the non-friendship track, the difference might be more prominent. Once numbers are exchanged and we're doing non-salsa activities, I consider us friends and not just salsa buddies, although salsa is the first thing we've in common. There are others that I dance with quite regularly if we happen to be at the same clubs, but we don't exchange numbers and don't hang out outside salsa clubs.

18. kdogg

kdogg New Member

You must have the shoulder of a swimmer from all the "shrugging" you do pretty much every post :wink: . I wonder if you shrug a lot outside the virtual world.

19. africana

africana New Member

hahahahahahaha!

thanks kdogg :D

20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

:)