Ballroom Dance > The Aussie dancer's thread

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by WaltzElf, Apr 6, 2008.

1. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Since we tend to be scattered, I thought it'd be nice to have a thread where we can find one another, perhaps even arrange to meet/ say hi at comps or social dances etc etc.

So I'll start - I should be going to the NSW Open on the 25th of May (as a competitor, of course!) Anyone else at DF going to be there?

2. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

Hello hello! What a good idea (wish I thought of it <grumbles>).
    At this stage, I'm not competing, due only to a lack of partner. So, won't be at NSW open. Would love to go though.

3. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

Good idea!!!

I'm in Victoria, won't be doing too many comps this year due to university commitments. Don't ever plan to do a PhD..it will cause some degree of Permanent Head Damage. LoL

I'll be at the Nationals in June. Level 2 Ballroom + NV
    Might catch you then.

My next comp, Crown International Championship next Sunday!

4. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

You should come and watch anyway. NSW Open has a fantastic atmosphere, really superb dancers, and a great arena. Even when I'm not competing I try and go to as many comps as I can get to, simply because it's important to be inspired, and watching comps is inspiring.

I'll almost definately be at that one. Depending how the NSW Open goes, we might even be unlucky enough to be competitors in the ballroom. :eek:

5. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

Would really love to watch, but I've just remembered that dress rehearsals for a musical that I'm in the band for is that weekend - both Sat and Sun. I'm still figuring out the logisitcs of playing in this band, by the way...I'm supposed to be playing three keyboards all at the same time. But good luck for the comp!

6. mummsie

mummsie Member

Good luck for the NSW Open this weekend. We danced in the Qld Open over Easter. It was a really good comp too. Our next one I think will be the Megastars in August. We have just been given a whole new waltz which isn't going to be going anywhere for a few weeks and then we are going on holidays in June for a couple of weeks. - Mummsie

7. szeretetta

szeretetta New Member

Hi! I'm a relatively new dancer, have only been dancing for a year or so, mostly social dancing at this point. My husband and I started dancing for our wedding, and kind of got hooked somewhere along the line.

My biggest problem at the moment seems to be finding dance shoes in a size 12 - I'm not looking for anything fancy, just shoes that fit!

8. QPO

QPO New Member

Have not checked the threads for a few days. We are in Adelaide and do social Dances and classes three days a week, we love it (both of us) but have yet to compete. I (fem) did get a third in a social competition at the DASA Comps at Easter which was a pleasant Surprise. As with some of the others,we are strapped for time, but was looking to go to a comp in Canberra in June to have a look not compete. Anyone been to that one? any comments?

9. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

The Nationals?

Good comp, horrible weather. Canberra is freezing at that time of year, but the comp itself has a nice, big floor, and draws all the best from everywhere. Last year Bryan Watson and Carmen did a floorshow and it was spectacular (along with Matthew and Anna for the ballroom).

Was my first comp, and it was a nice experience.

10. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

What level are you in ballroom and new vogue?

I heard they use the same floor as the one used in Aussies. Also the trophies are best ones ever (so I heard).

11. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Level 2 ballroom (but 2 points off elevation, and the NSW Open is worth two points), and 3 NV.

12. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

I may possibly be at nationals in June, now. Depending on a few factors.
    1) Most importantly - whether I have a partner. I have a try out this weekend, and he says that he wants to compete in nationals this year, level one.
    2) Whether (if the partnership works out - very possible that it won't) we're ready for then. He thinks we will be, but I don't know how realistic that is.
    3) Whether I have a performance for the musical I'm in the band for that weekend. I think I will Saturday, but most likely not Sunday. Which means, I think, that I could only compete if our event/s were on Sunday.

13. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Level 1? You’ll be competing on Saturday.

14. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

That's a shame...I've been committed to the musical for too long now to back out. Well I guess if it were early enough in the morning I might still make the afternoon matinee for the musical. But it doesn't look hopeful.

15. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Unfortunately you’ll need to give the comp a miss I’m afraid. If you do compete, and make a final, you’d need to be present at the end of the day for the prize presentation.

16. mummsie

mummsie Member

You don't necessarily have to be there for the presentations - its nice of course after all that hard work to be there to get your prize but I know a lot of people who have other engagements that just ask somebody else to collect their prize. We always stay - especially when we danced in the Australians and got to the final. It was very exciting to collect our 4th place in the Level 4 NV :)
    Will either of you be coming to Qld for the MegaStars in August? That's always an excellent comp - its another Bob Steele run comp which he does very well. My son will be competing L2 Standard and NV :) mummsie

17. QPO

QPO New Member

I would Like to go

We have people in Adelaide who are making the journey to QLD for these comps. Will have to see as it is a long way for us and it comes at a cost. We so dearly look forward to seeing lots top quality dancers in one venue. We will hope to get there next year to watch, not compete, we wish your son well this this year.

18. MissBallroomBear

MissBallroomBear Active Member

Well well well, how did this thread manage to evade my attention for two weeks?

Ooh I'm so jealous! I've been looking for a partner for over a year. They can't find anyone tall enough for me- and I'm not even that tall! Stupid male dancer drought.. grumble grumble..

19. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

Lol, well I figured it was about time...I've only been looking for a partner for like, two years now...but we shall see how it goes. The nerves are running quite high right now.

20. QPO

QPO New Member

We need a recruiting Drive

Yes, somehow we need to find away to make men want to participate in dancing, it is universal that there is a man shortage, and we discussed this tonight at social dancing. But alas we have yet to work out a way, so all you girls can find a partner. any suggestions? perhaps free footy tickets with every dance lesson ;)