Tango Argentino > The Basic Eight Debate (cont..)

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Heather2007, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

This is following up from my response re. the benefits of teaching the Basic 8 to the Lead. And so I'm going to pose this task to guys as leaders (forgive me ladies if there are any other lady leads out there - if so join in).

Scenario:

Hello, my name's Fred. I haven't danced Argentine Tango before although my soon to be wife has been dancing AT for four years and is very good. Eye-popping, traffic-stoppingly good, that is. We're getting married in 3 months and I want to surprise her by taking her to the floor and leading her in a tango. I have to confess I am bit of a doornail when it comes to being able to put my foot down or even clap on the beat and not being good at remembering difficult sequences, should you choose to take me on as one of your students you will have your work cut out (ha, ha, ha). My fiance hails from the West Indies and so has a superb sense of rhythm. I need not to make a complete arse of myself and really want this gift of my learning her dance as a my gift to her for accepting me as her husband. Can you help me? Can you help me to impress my wife and the guests on the day. If so, in my first session with you what will you teach me and where will I be, standard-wise in, say, 4 weeks. Studying with you twice a week, what will I have learned in the 4 weeks. If only to give me an idea of how much I will have learned and how much I shall need to learn. Many questions I know, but I want to be if not show-stopping at lead good enough to capture the audience.

Fred.

Okay chaps, over to you. :p

2. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Not sure this scenario is relevant for an 8CB debate. For me the debate was, given being that a leader needs seven years to be ok, is it better to start these seven years of learning with the 8CB or with something else.
    If the goal is to make a show with a pro follower and a from-scratch-beginner leader then it's more a Dance With The Stars situation.

3. Cortado

Cortado New Member

First of all, the scenario. In perspective, if Fred is a complete starter, his fiance may not really be a dancing star but proficient and he may not be wishing for a trafficstopping show but a dance with some distinctive tango steps. Have you seen some of the "tango" clips that people post on youtube?

Your mission in the next 4 weeks, should you choose to accept it, will be to teach him how to step cleanly in the 4 directions, transfer weight, lead ochos - get into them and out smoothly. A simple sacada and a turn would be a bonus.

He probably does not realise that he will impress his wife more by being able to lead well in just a month than by anything else. Lets us not forget that he is trying to do this without her knowledge and therefore any collaboration/help on her part is out of the question - so rehearsed flash move out of the question.

I think that I have answered your question about the teaching of the Basic8. If the scenario is real, one way to factor the preparation for The Dance is to try and get a video of her dancing to examine her style, ability, physique - compared to him.

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I'm sure she can back-lead whatever you teach him. ;)

5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

C'mon even on Strychnine Come Dancing they can't manage an unchoreographed tango in the space of the series; I suggest Fred come up with a good excuse. I've got a mate who would break one of his legs for a small fee.;)

For 3 months and three hours practice a day something could be managed but twice a week; forget it.

6. spectator

spectator Member

Get Miles to teach him.
    After all, he's living proof that you can be the best local leader within three weeks of the first ever lesson.

7. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

I set a task to which you chose respond with an opinion. Okayeeee... Okay, I'll respond. Thus:

You say "given that the leader needs 7 years to be good". From where exactly did you pluck this figure (and please oh please don't say: "my teacher said...") Given that we are all of differing levels, talents, learning processes etc. to slap a 7 year timescale stamp on the beginner lead (or even a beginner follower for that matter) is somewhat misleading if not offputting. Of course it dependent upon many factors. Some people think I've been dancing for many, many years. In fact, a lot, lot less.

Then you say: If the goal is to make a show with a pro follower and a from-scratch-beginner leader then it's more a Dance With The Stars situation. This has nothing to do with my setting a task something akin to Dance with the Stars (presumbly a transatlantic version of our BBC's Strictly Come Dancing). Read again: it was about turning a beginner lead into a lead that would not inspire several embarrassingly stifled giggle among his guests as he led a tango in public for the first time. That she can dance already will of course have an impact on the way in which he is taught. So... want to do the task or not - remembering of course the poor bloke is getting married in 3 months, not 7 years. :rolleyes:

8. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Okayeee. Seeing (so far) nobody has chosen to respond with a short tango programme for a beginner lead but has instead opted to respond with something that is either way off base, humour (telling) or something akin to hardened disagreement, I can only but choose to conclude that everybody has an opinion worthy that it may be but truth be told - nobody has a pigging clue. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........:banana:

9. bordertangoman

I don't see what this has to do with the D8CB?

If Fred works intensively then he might make a passable stab at a leader. but at the other end I know a leaders after three years of classes still walks like a Sergeant Major on Parade.

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Why teach him an 8CB if the point is for him to dance something recognizable as tango? Most non-tango dancers would have no clue what he was doing if it wasn't for the music.

11. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Okay C, so far the best of the responses. Though one pointer: Fred's wedding takes place in 3 months and so he has 3 months in which to learn to lead. Not 4 weeks.

12. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

You think so..... ha, ha, ha. Wrong!!

13. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Why have you (and some others) turned Tango Shrink all of a sudden (as in a couch and not as in the the woolly jumper set to wash in very hot wash) I set a task in which I was curious to see the programme that would drawn up by many who have many an opinion about who, what, where, whenever.

Grmppphhh - I'll bet if this were a task set for the ladies they wouldn't have chosen to skirt around the fringes with quips etc. Two options. Ignore the task or get on with. Period. Aaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhh.... men.

14. Me

Me New Member

:uplaugh:

15. jhpark

jhpark Member

Nope. you said impress the wife and the guests. then you changed it to not being ridiculed in front of the guests.

you also changed it from 1 month to 3 months. and you're ridiculing us for not taking your scenario seriously? please.

the only kind of 'impressing' of the wife he'll be able to accomplish in a month or even a quarter is, hey, he doesn't suck as badly as someone walking off the street!!!! sad fact of learning to lead tango from scratch.

besides, there are too many variables, in terms of how much time he spends practicing, where his natural abilities lie, etc, that make the question impossible.

16. bordertangoman

gfy; I think if you ask someone to set a training schedule for three months to learn to lead tango and then say you can only do it two evenings a week; I would say forget it unless you already have some other dance skills you can bring to bear.

I don't know any leaders who could do very much beyond a fairly basic repertoire of simple steps after 3 months; ochos; giros; walking; walking to the side and some simple cross-system steps and it would be crude and hesitant. For every hours tuition you need at least 100 practicing, prerably with as many partners as possible.

17. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

For the ladies? My teacher (the one who said seven years for a leader) said one afternoon.

18. Cortado

Cortado New Member

He must be the most popular teacher in the world and he gets around!
    A few of the ladies I have dance with seem to have learnt in one afternoon. Lead one step and they will launch into the routine the last guy led them in, invite them to step over your leg and before you know it they have ganchoed themselves and come out into a back boleo.

Sorry. did not mean to go on one.

19. bordertangoman

Well if you phrase the quaestion in closest 11 plus language :(it reminds of those questions like "If it takes two men with a 5 gallon bucket each, an hour to fill a bath; how long will it take for 5 men to fill the same bath?"; William Brown's answer was "no time at all 'cos the bath is already full up isn't it?"

or if there a re two ladies learning to follow it will take twice as long for them to learn because they will need to chatter; discuss CIFs etc etc.

20. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member