Salsa > The Best Salsa Dancer in the World

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Matrix, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Ok ... you are forgiven. ;)

2. DancePoet

So ... Ramon has been added to the list! We now have a six way tie for first place as to whom is the Best Salsa dancer in the World!

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Why . . . that's the best answer yet to who is the "Best Salsa Dancer in the World."

On that merit alone - I'd vote for you too!

4. DancePoet

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh my gosh! I got a vote! I'm not even voting for myself, but if this keeps up, well, in the immortal words of Arlo Guthrey, we might have a movement. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well ok, the list is now up to the following 7 folks so far, all with one vote each:

Johnny Vasquez, Sabor, Matrix, Frankie Martinez, SDSalsaguy, Ramon, DancePoet

(DP, you are so full of ... it. :roll: ;) )

5. Matrix

Matrix New Member

OMG! are you kidding me?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what Yola said! Who, in their right mind, couldn't comprehend that she was simply playing around? Why can't you guys really just come down and have fun??? I actually had a good laugh at it and then I got to DP's recommendation that such postings are not appropriate since we moderators are trying to get him to tone it down a bit.

Agh... is this really how this place is like??

How old are the moderators? Age-check, please...

6. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

And here is one big thing we are overlooking
    What about women? One thing that really bugs me in salsa is often the women get inferior treatment when it comes to talking about who's best.

Please, let's be fair here.

To add to this, I would say the best male salsa dancer in the world is the one that makes his partner look best. I couldn't say that about Johnny Vasquez.

7. DancePoet

Nope.

You'll be ok. ;)

Ayuh.

Old enough to know not to reveal my age? ;)

8. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yes, this is how this place is... kind, respectful, non-beligerant, classy, informative, friendly, no flaming, no trolling.

And by the way, never ask a lady her age.

9. Matrix

Matrix New Member

DanceMentor, it is certainly very unfortunate that women don't get enough mention when it comes to Salsa. For example, at this past Mayan World Salsa Competition, when we referred to the competitors we would do it by the name of the guy... Such as: "I think ADS (Alex Da Silva) will win, but Christian seems to have a good routine, then again Rico Bravo might also be a threat..." etc, etc. Now, the ONLY couple that was referred to by the woman in the partnership was "Liz Lira & Jose Valencia" ... we would say: "Well, dude... have you seen Liz? I think she might have a chance."

What I think happens is something along the lines of what happens in a social setting when both, women and men are dancing at clubs. You get a great female dancer into a night-club where all the guys are beginners, and she'll have a terrible time. However, you can get a great male dancer into a night-club where all the girls are beginners and you can almost bet that those women will step out of there 'better dancers', plus he will have a good time himself.

The nature of the dance makes it all about the woman, but when you really come down to it... she depends on the man way more than the man depends on her.

Alex Da Silva himself has proven that a man can win over and over again with partners he, himself, trains... while a woman NEEDS to have a good dancer next to her in order to even aspire to place high.

But I do maintain that it is quite sad that women don't get much of a mention in Salsa.

10. DancePoet

Hmmm ... interesting view point. And no women on the list, hmmm ... ok folks, who are the women who could make the list.

(And the list currently includes with one vote each: Johnny Vasquez, Sabor, Matrix, Frankie Martinez, SDSalsaguy, Ramon, DancePoet)

11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

No comment. :roll: :wink:

12. Matrix

Matrix New Member

DancePoet, women cannot be in the same category as men...

but my picks would be:

- Liz Lira
    - Alyra from Tropical Gem
    - Sandy from Tropical Gem
    - Melissa Fernandez from Mas Salsa Brava
    - Burju from New York
    - ... that's all for me ...

13. africana

africana New Member

Yes the salsa world can be quite misogynist, lots of disrespect, objectification, prejudice and patronization of women. It's quite plain when you visit a lot of salsa websites or see certain advertisements

14. macha

macha New Member

Isn't that dependent on whether or not you have one, let alone it's companion(s)? :p How would that alter your balance?

15. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Johnny Vazquez is good...he is excellent....but not my type of dancer. :roll:

/luc

16. DancePoet

So everyone, does this mean we need to keep two lists, one for leads and one for follows?

(DP, that kind of question is not likely to get you any additional votes. ;) :lol: )

Ayuh, but that's ok, at least the thread is staying on topic. ;)

17. Matrix

Matrix New Member

DP talking to himself in between parenthesis...

how amusing... :x

18. DancePoet

Ayuh, it's normal, just part of the happy and humorous atmosphere we encourage here on DF. :wink: :D

(It's an ongoing conversation between DP and his conscience. ;) :lol:)

19. tacad

tacad New Member

And the rest of us and DP's conscience. :wink:

20. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

And DP's conscience and DP's conscience. As you can imagine, it all gets very confusing from time to time. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.