Funstuff and Inspiration > The cake photo thread...

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by flashdance, Apr 2, 2009.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Larinda:

The pix are on my hard drive; Spitfire has PM'd me some code advice, and given me the heads-up about how to use it. I will practice new skill later, if possible, and try to replace link with photo.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me of the USADance chapter dances in Tucson which features a desert pot luck, you bring in a desert and get three dollars off the admission.

3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Now there's a good idea.... *grin*

4. j_alexandra

OK, practicing new skill time..

[​IMG]
    A friend swears he's doing this for his daughter's $30K wedding. She is less enthusiastic. Can't imagine why. Right now, that looks tasty.

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

This is driving me nuts, I think I'll have to go to the Walmart just up the road and buy a cake from the bakery. :mrgreen:

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Been ages since I made one, but if memory serves, basics of red velvet are chocolate cake and about 18 bottles of red food coloring, with cream cheese frosting on top. :)

hrmmm, might be a good candidate for the baileys cream cheese frosting....

7. latingal

Told you it was an evil thread....

8. latingal

By the way, beautiful cakes j_alex!

9. QPO

QPO New Member

[​IMG]

Angle food cake....delish

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Lol...funny.

Always loved suzy-Qs growing up, but they can't compare to homemade whoopie pies. Will have to drum up a photo for those tomorrow.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

The distinctive ingredients in the batter that I always remember are red food coloring, cocoa, and white vinegar.

But it's the frosting that always made it for me - we always made a boiled milk/flour mixture that, when cooled, is added to a buttercream to stablize it. Makes it taste very light, fres, and fluffy, and less sweet (I don't care for sugary frostings...). Same frosting goes to fill my whoopie pies.

Had red velvet cake as my wedding cake way back when...always my fave cake growing up!

12. j_alexandra

Thank you! I love to bake.

13. j_alexandra

Whoopie pies! A regional dessert thingy that, when you grow up with it, it's the ultimate comfort food. Commercial versions just don't cut it.

14. RickRS

RickRS Member

A true (red velvet) cake story:

In my protected childhood I had never had red velvet cake. As young newlywed I was going to bake a birthday cake for the wife and asked what she wanted, white, yellow, or chocolate. Red velvet was the request, and I set out to the grocery store.

Well, long story short, My cooking prowess was limited to prefab and "some assembly required," and red velvet doesn't come in a cake mix (or at least none to be found here in northwest Florida). So I got the only red cake mix to be found and a can of white frosting.

The wife was quite disappointed with her strawberry flavored and vanilla frosted cake. Somehow our marriage survived. :together:

15. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

devoted to Spitfire..

[​IMG]

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

o...m...g.....stop this at once!!!!!!

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Not cake... but chocolate and awesome. :D
    Just posted a new recipe!

[​IMG]

18. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

:shock: *keyboard drool*

19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

OK, I still need to go by super K tonight to get some stuff for my trip. do NOT need to be tempted by this stuff. :p

20. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

The world’s largest ice-cream cake was made by the Chinese last year and holds a Guinness world record till now. The cake was about 4.8 metres (15.7 feet) long, 3 metres (9.8 feet) wide, 1 metre (3.3 feet) high and weighed 8 tons (7,257 kg).

It took about 20 people who worked for nineteen days and nineteen years to bake this cake. The colorful cake had cute teddies marked out in cream and could serve 32,000 people!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]