General Dance Discussion > The cost of competitions

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by patois, Jan 22, 2006.

1. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

It has happened to me, more than once.....
    speaking of reason(s)? I didn't know, I still don't, and probably will never know.
    I guess, we are all human beings afterall, so we all have emotions and thoughts. I don't believe free lessons are because of pure enjoyment of the pro, but I also don't think the pro will do it if it's as bad as described by someone.

2. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I have competed ProAm and I have competed with my husband as AmAm and I found ProAm to be a better experience overall. I don't really care if I am not equal to my Pro. Maybe if I had an Am partner with whom I would be more closely matched in skills, and who would not yell at me when I made a mistake (OK, I am stopping here, I am not going to list all my husband's faults), maybe then not being a true partner while doing ProAm would have bothered me.

3. Laura

Laura New Member

I've been doing both Pro/Am and amateur over the years, and each has its advantages and pitfalls. The biggest complaint about Pro/Am is always the money. Well, thank goodness there is the much cheaper amateur option. The biggest complaint about amateur is finding a good partner. Well, there's the more expensive Pro/Am option. At least there are options, other than "give up competitive dancing altogether."

4. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

One thing I've always wondered about ProAm--and please don't take offense, I'm just asking a frank question: Do you (the Am) feel that the Pro takes your partnership as seriously as he/she might take a partnership of equals?

5. Laura

Laura New Member

I've never wondered that because I've never even presumed to think that he would take it as seriously. Like, I was just some syllabus-level student (one of several), but his pro partner was his claim to fame (and his wife).

Sometimes I think students take their Pro/Am "partnerships" too seriously. Some are serious partnerships, but the vast majority are student/teacher relationships and should be thought of as such.

Still, there are some advantages to this as compared to an amateur parternship of peers. I find an amateur partnership of peers more satisfying in many ways, but more frustrating in some ways.

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think a pro can feel very differnetly about different AMs depending upon potential, $, practice etc....just depends...and NO, no one but me is as interested in my dancing as I am.....nonethless, I may not be his dance equal...but I AM his equal

7. alemana

alemana New Member

he doesn't think of it as a partnership at all, and rightly so. it's a teaching relationship.

i'm sure there are young/immature/other students out there who misapprehend the nature of the relationship they have with their pro instructor.

8. Laura

Laura New Member

I knew this one older woman who called her teacher her "partner" and would blame him, the choreography, her costume, his remembering or not remembering the routines, anything but her own sub-par dancing when they didn't do well enough for her liking. Bluntly, this lady was a bit of a bat. I think that's where I developed my automatic cringe for when a student calls their pro/am teacher their "partner."

Student/teacher relationships, especially if it develops into more of a mentorship, are fantastic and provide a lot of growth opportunities. But it's not the same as being two peers with their careers on the line for a pro or high-level 'amateur' event, or their pride on the line for a low-level amateur event. (And I'm not saying there's no pride in pro/am...I did pro/am off and on for seven years so don't think I don't know what I'm talking about...I'm just saying it's different -- there's this level of removal or detachment that is different from being two peers working toward a common goal.)

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I thought about you when I noticed the announcers on DWTS calling the couples so-and-so and their "pro partner" blah-blah-blah.

What did you (not just you, Laura, anybody) make of that? Or was I the only one who noticed?

10. fascination

no doubt about it...and I can honestly say I have never met a pro am dancer who would call their pro their partner...some might call him their friend, but none call him their partner

11. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I call mine "pretty boy". There's a little story behind it, though. He was teaching my daughter and he kept telling her to do something and she kept telling him she couldn't and he said "of course you can do it," and she said "prove it, pretty boy." She also told him once that he looked like a vampire. Thank God he has a good sense of humor.

12. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

I would say he takes pro-am competing as SERIOUSLY as his own pro partnership--BUT it's a whole different kind of competing relationship, with different goals, degrees of commitment (he practices several hours a day with his pro partner; I take 2 lessons a week), and so on. But when we compete and practice for competition, he is totally serious, committed to what we're doing, and wants to WIN! If for no other reason than, he feels judges are always watching the pros, even when they are competing with their pro-am students, and how they and their students do affects how the judges view them, which can affect their pro placings. But he's a committed teacher, so I'm sure he would care even if that weren't the case.

13. pygmalion

Your daughter looks like a little cutie-pie. Devilish as all-get-out, but cute. I would hate to be you, come discipline time. you. :wink: :lol:

14. mamboqueen

suffice it to say she doesn't misbehave too often....she's not keen on the taste of soap :raisebro:

15. pygmalion

*giggle* You've been watching A Christmas Story again. I can tell. What was it? Lifeboy? Oh! So hilarious. :lol:

16. mamboqueen

One of my dh's favorites. I'm more partial to Christmas Vacation :cool:

17. fascination

havent seen either

18. pygmalion

Eeek! Get thee to the nearest Blockbuster. :lol:

19. fascination

thats alsmost as likely as going back upstairs and listening to dh talk w/dtr about fractions...not my thing...spent too much time confined to bedrest in years past to ever watch movies or tv in any real way again

20. pygmalion

You don't watch A Christmas Story. You turn it on (on TBS, I think, or is that TNT? ) for background noise during their annual Christmas-day 24-hour marathon. Eventually, you'll know all the dialogue without ever having watched the movie.

Besides. It's a classic. Really. I wouldn't kid ya. :)