General Dance Discussion > The cost of competitions

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by patois, Jan 22, 2006.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i think it appropriate to note that three moderators have roundly highjacked this thread;)

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Good point. No idea where the hijack started. So I'm not sure where to loop back to. :?

Cost of comps, huh? :?

3. fascination

I'm just trying to catch myself more often:rolleyes: ...I actually think OP got question addressed thoroughly...but since I cant flirt, I was just being cute

4. Laura

Laura New Member

I love your daughter!!

Back to Topic:

No matter how you slice it, comps are expensive, unless you just do local college comps where the entry fees are like $20 per person for all you can dance.

How's that for re-railing (is that even a word) us?

5. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

thank you...i'm sure in some dictionary re-railing equates to getting us back on track!

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You'll shoot your eye out!

7. redhead

redhead New Member

I jumped off the couch every time they said "pro partner" or, better yet, "partner", but my hubby was just laughing at me. It seems like non-ballroom people don't see the difference - when I did pro/am, people would ask if my teacher was my partner (we hung out a little outside of ballroom), I'd say - "no, we compete together, but he's my instructor", and they go "partner, then".

8. Laura

Laura New Member

Woah, didn't realize you had called me out here. Does this mean that you want me to answer, or not?

9. pygmalion

Called you out? Eek! That certainly wasn't my intent. I try never, never to call anyone out, put anyone on the spot, ask impertinent questions, or directly correct anyone. That's just not me.

The goal was to give you the option to answer or not. :cool:

10. fascination

ya know I agree with all of this and never use the term partner, HOWEVER, my pro does constantly remind me that in a way we are and that should be my goal...ie not to be pushed around and made to look good but to dance myself and not need him....and I am very glad that that is his perspective...but it is what it is....if I was as good as him, i'd dump him as a pro or become one

11. Laura

Laura New Member

I just kind of shake my head and laugh about a lot of the stuff that goes on on DwtS. For the purposes of the great non-dancing TV audiences out there, if they want to use the term "pro partner" then that's the way it goes.

12. pygmalion

That was pretty much my view, as well. I wouldn't take their use of that term more seriously than I do anything else on that show -- which is not at all. :lol:

13. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Bump ...

14. pygmalion

Thanks, Z.