Swing Discussion Boards > The Difference Between WCS and Lindy Hop Enthusiasts.

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is representative, but from my observation of the local scene it seems like WCS dancers who get together and do only WCS are also into other dances as well. The Lindy hoppers here on the other hand do just Lindy Hop; few of them do other dances. I'm wondering if this is just a local thing here or is fairly common elsewhere.

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I've noticed the same thing . . . although it's probably not true.

I've been to three studio dances in the last few months. There were many Lindy Hoppers there and very few WCS dancers. The WCS dancers danced just about everything - WCS, ECS, Cha Cha, Salsa, Hustle, Waltz, Lindy, and so on.

The LH's only did the Lindy, and a few of them did ECS.

I did do a WCS with a young lady who said she had never danced a WCS, yet wanted to try it. She followed very well, but of course, had a tendency to make her own slot! I tried the Lindy, after a very quick lesson from her, and I struggled with that. So, we were even, but it left me wanting for more!

3. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

THis is not true, at least for me. While lindy is my love, I will jump right into ECS, WCS, Waltz, Hustle, Cha-cha, NC2S, Salsa...you name it and I'm there. I go to WCS dances once in a while and often go to a dance that combines all of the above dances into one night of dancing. I'm not sure you can generalize about an entire population of dancers. Each person has individual tastes. Just my opinion...

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

And I don't think it true in most places . . . here in N. California, WCS is pretty strong, and yet I hear others from the area say that Lindy is very strong. It's just the venues that I go to are mostly Hustle and Swing . . . WCS!!!

5. d nice

d nice New Member

Most experienced lindy hoppers dance lindy hop, as well as some jitterbug, balboa, bal-swing, colligiate shag, and some times some WCS, ECS, or Carolina shag depending on what part of the country you are in.

6. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

One thing I find that both have in common is they have some very devoted followers. While there are people who dance multiple dances, you often find people who spend most of their time doing one, especially when it comes to Lindy and WCS.

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I hope, that when a couple of things work-related and health-related concerns get resolved, I can take about 6 months of Lindy lessons.

Then maybe, I can answer this curiosity motivated issue for my own discernment.

8. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I hope everything is ok Vince ... take care of yourself!

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks . . things are getting better, day-by-day!

10. jon

jon Member

There are longstanding relationships and influences between the WCS, Hustle, and Country dance worlds and a lot of people crossover. Lindy has a different family of dances people tend to crossover with, like the faster Shags and Balboa.

Some good dancers branch out over time and some concentrate more and more deeply on one form. WCS dancers tend to be considerably older than Lindy dancers and so may have had more time to be exposed to other dance forms, or come to WCS from other dance forms. Beyond that I wouldn't generalize.

11. Spitfire

And again I'm only talking about what I notice locally and certainly not trying to make any generalizations here and that's why I ask since we are in different areas most of which I've never been to let alone never danced in. :D

12. Spitfire

I'm reminded that I'll be missing dancing in a few months as I am having surgery after the holidays.

13. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

yikes! I hope everything is okay!

14. Spitfire

It will be; after all it doesn't have to be done until after New Years. :)

15. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Well I didn't know if that would be when your new kidney would be available or something like that! sheesh! ;)

16. CCKitty

CCKitty New Member

Crossing over

Hi, I'm new to this board.

I have noticed this too. My geographical location is Milwaukee, WI and my love is Lindy Hop, Balboa, Shag, and Charleston. I've noticed that the WCS dancers are into more of the other types of dance than the ones who share my love of lindy.

Here is a thought, see what you make of it. The correct body posture for lindy-hop, ECS, & Charleston is very different than that used in ballroom, salsa, WCS, etc. I think that whichever side of that fence you are coming from, it feels kind of 'wrong' to change your stance dramatically.

I'd love to learn all kinds of dance, but I love even more to 'shine' at lindy-hop.

17. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forums CCKitty! :D

Personally I also think it has to do with the "flavor" of certain dances. ECS and Jive, for instance, have much more of a "up" energy and attitude then other more "earthy" Latin/Rhythm dances such as rumba, cha cha, and samba. As such, there isn't always the same connection to the music and/or the dance itself... totally aside from technical variances. Just my 2 cents...

18. Spitfire

Re: Crossing over

CCKitty,

Welcome to the forum, :D

If you're into a variety of dances the difference in posture is not a problem, but the let it all hang out aspect as I like to think of it is what makes the swing dances appealing. :)

19. Spitfire

Nothing as serious a that. :wink:

The worst thing is that I'm going to be out of dancing for at least two weeks. :cry:

20. Dancegal

Dancegal Member

From what I've seen in Texas, the WCS crowd is decisively older-40's and up-with some exceptions (30-something instructors trying to attract younger crowds to the dance) while the Lindy crowd is primarily 20-somethings with some teens and 30-40 somethings in the mix (Lindy crowd being more clean-cut). I learned 6-count swing and Charleston first, followed by WCS and Lindy and it seems that many WCS folks were once Lindy dancers but I don't see the reverse (WCS to Lindy) happening much. I switch from Lindy to WCS easily (posture and all) - to me each dance reflects a different "mood" - Lindy as playful, happy-go-lucky and WCS as the naughty one. I also dance salsa & merengue (which I knew prior to learning any swing), but not as much as the swing dances - alas, the crowd I hang with just don't seem to care for latin dances - and I don't care for the "pick-up" salsa scenes.