Swing Discussion Boards > The Difference Between WCS and Lindy Hop Enthusiasts.

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Oct 23, 2003.

1. suek

suek New Member

I took ECS for almost a year before starting lindy. And even though I don't know the the moves you mentioned above (except for tuck turn) by name, I bet I do 'em all the time. I can tell you that every single move and choreography variation we learned in ECS has been led to me in lindy dances. Good lindy leads mix up six- and eight-count moves--driven of course by the phrasing of the music. It's simple math: One can do an eight-count move and four sixes and end up back at the beginning of a 32-count phrase. Or any combinations thereof. Or even come back at the end of the second phrase.

Then again, there are those who dance without any obvious or subtle connection to the phrasing of the music. That would be why I started that sentence up there about lindy leads with "Good."

Also recommend you go back and read some of the posts on the evolution of the swing dances. (I don't have the time right now to find the links for you; sorry.) All of these six-count moves, all of these dances, have their roots in LH.

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I agree with Suek. There is a champion lindy hopper who comes to the tuesday night lindy hops and other lindy events. He mixes it all up...balboa, charleston shag, charleston, ECS, WCS...when dancing lindy...it all depends on the music. And whenever he dances he is a sight to watch...awe-inspiring!! I enjoyed watching him on Friday when I went to a swing dance though I wasn't in a dancing mood. [A little bit of a cold coming on...]

3. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

all sorts of knots can happen

4. d nice

d nice New Member

Yes, they exist, but are used sparingly... Lindy Hop has such a large repetoire of moves that there tend to be regional and national trends of what moves are currently popular. The pretzels are currently replaced with basketr whips and tunneling basket whips. The tuck turn is one of the basic turns in lindy hop, and some varuation is always in vogue.

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

What is a basket whip? Can you describe it?

6. alfborge

alfborge New Member

What is a basket whip? Can you describe it?

7. Spitfire

I just learned recently having taken up WCS.

Basket whip described here.

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Is that the same pattern as the men's basket or the analogous women's basket? It's hard for me to describe, but I'll look around for a description or clips.

9. pygmalion

Yup. Looks like I waas visualizing the right step patterns. Haven't found any descriptions or clips yet, though. :?

10. pygmalion

11. pygmalion

12. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

The description there looks like a locked whip. Is "basket whip" just another term for a locked whip?

13. jon

jon Member

Right.

14. swinginstyle

swinginstyle New Member

I must admit I prefer the use of the term "locked whip", primarily because the guy's footwork is identical to their footwork in the whip.

15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Just wanted to say welcome to the Forums swinginstyle! :D

16. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Indeed, welcome to the forums!! :D

so does the name of 'basket whip' somehow imply that the leads footwork ought to be different? I guess I'm not seeing the connection between the difference of 'lock' and 'basket' translating to footwork.

17. swinginstyle

swinginstyle New Member

I think the term "basket" may derive from a ballroom syllabus. It's similar to what I may call the "cuddle". Regardless, I think it's the idea that we, as the leads, lock the girl up (in essence, wrap her in).

Thanks for the welcome

18. swinginstyle

swinginstyle New Member

For the lady, steps 1-4 are a forward progression. You want to allow the guy to harness your momentum, then start redirecting between counts 4, 5. As you travel back toward the spot where you began, stepping 5, 6, you should reach the end of your slot on 6, so you can anchor in place (7&8). The guy wraps the lady in 1-4 (the start is very similar to an underarm pass, right side). Then he redirects her down the slot.

Had to insert this in here. I just taught this move last night.

19. swinginstyle

swinginstyle New Member

Now, I wanted to speak about my scene in Kansas City. Our West Coast community is mainly older, average age perhaps 40-ish. The westies, though, are very supportive of lindy hop efforts. They also seem to do more dances. On the other hand, the lindy hoppers are quite limited in the number of dances they're able to do well, mainly their vintage lindy styles. Many of our lindy hoppers appear stand-offish (snobby) toward westies, their music, etc.

There are crossovers among the westies and lindy hoppers that do cross the divide. I find that these people are what I consider "swing" dancers. They are versatile and are willing to dance swing, whatever form it may be, whether west coast, bal, shag, lindy, blues, etc, to a variety of music. It's these people, the crossovers, and the westies, I am most comfortable with, simply because they are more accepting. They seem to value differences more and are willing to learn than our "pure" lindy hoppers.

20. Spitfire

Welcome to the forums swinginstyle. :D 8)

It's pretty much like that here and the monthly swing dances held here are "integrated" as far as the styles go.