General Dance Discussion > The Electric Slide: Who Owns It?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgcasey

dgcasey New Member

Please don't get this guy started. OMG! he never stops. He's been ranting and raving on wikipedia for months now and threatening to sue any and everyone that doesn't agree with him. Personally, I think he needs to fade slowly into oblivion, never to be heard from again.

I think the dance is ridiculous anyway and have never done it. As I said in another post about what the most relaxing dance was, it was the Electric Slide because I would get to sit down and relax for a 2-3 minutes while half the people at the studio did it.

For the love of peace and harmony everywhere, ban this guy and send him packing. Of course, he'll threaten to sue you and talk about how he has a "new" lawyer and things are really starting to roll in his favor. Yeah, right.

2. dgcasey

dgcasey New Member

We can only hope. ;)

3. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

:) :) By this token it's my most relaxing dance, too.

4. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

5. NYCsDancer

NYCsDancer New Member

I Own It!

That's Right -
    there has been alot of mis-information on this subject..... I created the dance to Marcia Griffiths' Electric Boogie in 1976 for a party I gave at Vamps Disco at 51st and B'way in NYC in June of that year. for more information see http://the-electricslidedance.com or my home page http://the-electricslide.com

Ric

6. NYCsDancer

NYCsDancer New Member

Sorry Pastor - I won!

I created and performed the dance in 1976 and copyright protected it. In 1994 I published it to the web and have filed in 2006 for a copyright... it is covered under the 1976 act and I should have the paperwork anyday now or so I am told by the people at the Library of Congress....but then I have been waiting over a year now. Legal Suits to follow.....

7. NYCsDancer

NYCsDancer New Member

Not a lawsuit - only a complaint

Here it is three months later and I still have not been served any paperwork - this guy hasn't got a chance and my lawyers are contacting him to remove his video.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

look, if your lawyers are smart, they will advise you to stop discussing your claim in a public forum...of course you are free to do what you want but, i have it on very good authority that you are exceedingly unwise to contuinue to do so....and am considering locking this thread for your own good

9. dgcasey

dgcasey New Member

Thank goodness. ;)

10. pruthe

pruthe Member

Just noticed this article regarding Electric Slide.

news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9721815-7.html

Maybe there's peace in line dance world now.

11. NYCsDancer

NYCsDancer New Member

Not Hardly - this is JUST the beginning
    my lawyers will be following up on this very shortly
    Ric Silver

12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh, jeezus, not again...

13. fascination

exactly...let it die

14. NYCsDancer

NYCsDancer New Member

Not Hardly
    have been working for 12 years now to get this corrected - am not about to stop now

15. fascination

the thread sir....and it will die if neccessary

16. NYCsDancer

NYCsDancer New Member

That's YOUR choice as you are the moderator
    but I will still be out there shacking up the dance world until this is finally resolved..... This is just one small hump that my lawyers felt that needed to be addressed..... I am not out to stop people from dancing The Electric - my only reason for keeping going on this is to have people realize that they learned it incorrectly and that the dance was copyright protected in 1976 and what the correct choreography is...... There are numerous line dance videos, web sites and dance teachers charging people money to learn a dance and teaching them the incorrect steps and I would just like people to know that..... The Electric Slide - originally titled The Electric - ranked number 1 in the world for 10 years - according to Line Dancer Magazine - and I find it extremely funny that the dance was loved by millions - who were taught it wrong.... Just imagine if they had learned it correctly - it probably would still be the number one dance in the world.....
    Not sure if you know - When I started teaching this dance - I had a dream.... and every night I told the group of 40 or more dancers my dream in hopes of staving off the dream..... My dream was that someone would walk away from my class and teach the dance steps inacurately and I would spend the rest of my life trying to get it fixed...... and you can see where we are......
    My dreams ALWAYS come true - I seldom remember my dream - but if I do - it's like deja vue........
    Last month I had another dream......
    God had called me home and when I got to St. Peter's Gate, there was the Electric Boogie playing - So I Slided thru the gate - and the large crowd waiting to get in started to join me .... and those who knew the steps followed me into heaven...... and those who didn't know the right steps fell into pits of fire and were sliced down by blades of steel........ It reminded me of the movie "The Pacifier" with Vin Diesel where he learns a dance to put the baby to sleep - but come to find out - it's the code to get to the father's secret lair.....

Just thought I should tell someone!

17. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Ric, if you were to just let the whole issue go, what's the worst that would happen? Will kittens die because a group of people dance their "wrong" version of the electric slide?
    I imagine though, if you let the whole issue go, you could get on with your life, maybe do something productive. Heck come up with a new dance that could be the craze for the next 10 years!
    I feel really bad for you, you need to find some new meaning in your life because your obsessions seems to have taken over. Spending your money on a therapist rather than attorneys would be so much more productive. Good luck to you.

18. fascination

it is sad when an entire life becomes overly invested in an outcome that is tenuous at best...good luck...and as for moderating the thread...yes, I will

19. NYCsDancer

NYCsDancer New Member

1st off - I don't pay for my lawyer - he has gone 50/50 with me so he only gets paid if and when I get paid... 2ndly - I saw a therapist three years ago who after one visit told me I was the healthiest person he had met in some time and to get out and spread the light......
    I do between two and three shows a year, just finished the third movie in the last 18 months and have my church work and family to keep me busy....

and lastly - no I don't think any kittens are going to perish - but I do feel that alot of souls may be lost....... Just my take on it

20. fascination

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.